LaunchBox Community Forums

Mr. RetroLust's MAME Lights Out Bezels Revisited 0.05

(2 reviews)

21 Screenshots

About This File

Mr. RetroLust created a series of bezels which is a masterpiece:

Yet as he uses a rather old version of MAME, some of those bezels are not compatible with the latest releases which use a redisigned artwork system (MAME 0.226 onwards).

as I intend to continue to enjoy his creations in optimal conditions, I have undertaken to update all the lay files and to correct recent incompatibilities.

You will find here the integrality of this collection updated to the most recent artwork system.

Based on the version 5.4 of its collection:

I updated/edited all the lay files (but one*).

Renamed some archives to respect romnames of latest MAME release (0.260 at the time of this writing).

Merged some bezels in a zip file to remove any conflict with the classic artworks of Mr. Do.

Replaced most of the screen overlays based on pics with lay-coded ones according to the latest MAME sources (ex: Circus).

Added some color variations (ex: Barricade)

Corrected some MAME atwork system known bugs (ex: Dead Eye).

Added a toggable gear shift view for racing games when possible (ex: Pole Position).

Added generic horizontal and vertical bezels to use as fallback artworks for every game missing individual art file.

If you spot a bug, or a game I forgot to add a gear shift, please indicate it in the comments, I will rectify it ASAP.

*: For the moment I have not managed to update 'Golly! Ghost!' efficiently, the version included here is the original version of Mr. Retrolust and does not work with the new lay system.

It is essential to use the included horizontal.ini and vertical.ini files to make the generic bezels work.
The vector.ini and the vector-mono.ini are highly recommended but not essential.
The raster.ini is only to be used if you use the D3D HLSL graphics mode.

For my part I use BGFX for the rasters and the fantastic ArcCabView shader from Houb:

Highly Recommended! https://www.mediafire.com/file/71eylbzx8oom5ji/ArcCabView_MAME_BGFX_Chain_2.2d.7z/file

All hail to Mr. RetroLust , he deserves all the credit.

*************************************************************************************************************

If you found this release useful, you might like this post where I published an update of Dreamstate's  beautiful vertical artworks:

- Be sure to click on 'November 8' =>

Edited by kloug666
Update 2023-11

What's New in Version 0.05   See changelog

Released

UPDATE TO LIGHTS OUT 5.4 - MAME 0.260

UPDATED:
astdelux
breakout
clowns

NEW:
benberob
bioatack
bmaster
cairblad
chaoshea
chukatai
danceyes
darkedge
dbzvrvs
deadconx
dondokod
dsoccr94
g13knd
galpani4
galpanis
galpans2
galpans3
garyoret
golgo13
gunbustr
hachamfb
hoops96
hvnsgate
hvysmsh
kyukaidk
lacrazyc
metmqstr
nastar
plegends
powyak96
puyo
sci
sheriff

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, carminerock97 said:

Where i have to extract this files? i'm a bit confused

Unzip all LightsOutRevisited0-Z archives in MAME/ARTWORK/

Put horizontal and vertical INIs in MAME/INI/PRESETS/

• Thanks 1

Came here from Mr Retrolust's page. Very nice work! Surprised there aren't more comments here. One thing, what has been mentioned before - the reflections. Would it be possible to batch reduce the screen reflection & scratch amount? I know that you can edit them individually but I wondered if you might be able to do the set as a batch.

Edited by Retrofrogg

noob question; I saw your post on updated files, but there´s no description about what was changed/updated. My english is WIP , so mayber you did it, but I cound´t found. can you explain please?

Thanks

On 9/11/2023 at 4:22 PM, retrospace said:

noob question; I saw your post on updated files, but there´s no description about what was changed/updated. My english is WIP , so mayber you did it, but I cound´t found. can you explain please?

Thanks

??? Everything is listed in the changelog.

On 9/10/2023 at 9:29 PM, bradigor said:

I've been using MAME in retroarch until now. Where would I install these? Or is it not possible?

Only MAME and derivative builds, not the butchered version that comes with RA.

On 8/25/2023 at 10:31 AM, Retrofrogg said:

Came here from Mr Retrolust's page. Very nice work! Surprised there aren't more comments here. One thing, what has been mentioned before - the reflections. Would it be possible to batch reduce the screen reflection & scratch amount? I know that you can edit them individually but I wondered if you might be able to do the set as a batch.

Automatic batch graphic editing will give very bad results and would kill the magic of the reflections.

With a few rare exceptions, I mainly only update the code for lay files and do not want to to touch Mr. Retrolust's tremendous graphic work.

On 12/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, kloug666 said:

Unzip all LightsOutRevisited0-Z archives in MAME/ARTWORK/

Put horizontal and vertical INIs in MAME/INI/PRESETS/

Hey so I tried this and still nothing is there any other additional setup needed?

On 11/22/2023 at 2:48 AM, Fluffykins298 said:

Hey so I tried this and still nothing is there any other additional setup needed?

If you've done it properly, now you must have numerous zip files in your main MAME "Artwork" folder.

Please check it, first is 3countb.zip, last is zzyzzyxx.zip. Everything should work.

Edited by kloug666

21 hours ago, kloug666 said:

If you've done it properly, now you must have numerous zip files in your main MAME "Artwork" folder.

Please check it, first is 3countb.zip, last is zzyzzyxx.zip. Everything should work.

yep tried it again for some reason it was to do with one of the games not the bezels not working 

Thx for sharing! The artwork of blood wolf(battlera.zip) with the ArcCabview shader doesn't display properly, only the right side shows the reflection effect. And outrunner missed the gear shifter as well. Pls feel free to check it out.😋

Edited by CKL

Should I use these files (which i have installed now), or use the ones from the original thread?
I just want new updates.

Thanks so much for bringing these up to date. Now with Dragon's Lair supported in 262 it would be amazing to get a realistic bezel that includes the LED scoreboards... Any chance of that?

Hey, for the zip containing the 5.4 version, do i replace all zips when asked and also what is the directory folder with the ini file in it ? do i need that ini file ?

The community can't thank you enough, now you have also made an update for newer MAME versions. I really have to try your Bezels, hoping they work with MAME v0.264.

I have a question and would be glad if you can help: What happens to games which don´t have a dedicated Bezel? Is a system bezel loaded then? That would be great. If not, is there a way to use the old bezels of the Bezel-Project that Launchbox already has saved in the MAME/artwork folder? So is there a way to combine your bezels and those of other projects? In conclusion, how do I set up such a mish-mash bezel system, as I learned to first delete all bezel artworks from an older project and merely than installing the new one. 

Thank you so much for all your efforts and creativity and especially for sharing all this with us. 
Cheers
Matthias

From darkfella: "Hey, for the zip containing the 5.4 version, do i replace all zips when asked and also what is the directory folder with the ini file in it ? do i need that ini file ? "

This is a most important question and should be answered ... I asked myself the same thing. Thank you in advance.

Edited by matsrats