LaunchBox Community Forums

Mr. RetroLust's MAME Lights Out Bezels Revisited 0.05

(2 reviews)

21 Screenshots

About This File

Mr. RetroLust created a series of bezels which is a masterpiece:

Yet as he uses a rather old version of MAME, some of those bezels are not compatible with the latest releases which use a redisigned artwork system (MAME 0.226 onwards).

as I intend to continue to enjoy his creations in optimal conditions, I have undertaken to update all the lay files and to correct recent incompatibilities.

You will find here the integrality of this collection updated to the most recent artwork system.

Based on the version 5.4 of its collection:

I updated/edited all the lay files (but one*).

Renamed some archives to respect romnames of latest MAME release (0.260 at the time of this writing).

Merged some bezels in a zip file to remove any conflict with the classic artworks of Mr. Do.

Replaced most of the screen overlays based on pics with lay-coded ones according to the latest MAME sources (ex: Circus).

Added some color variations (ex: Barricade)

Corrected some MAME atwork system known bugs (ex: Dead Eye).

Added a toggable gear shift view for racing games when possible (ex: Pole Position).

Added generic horizontal and vertical bezels to use as fallback artworks for every game missing individual art file.

If you spot a bug, or a game I forgot to add a gear shift, please indicate it in the comments, I will rectify it ASAP.

*: For the moment I have not managed to update 'Golly! Ghost!' efficiently, the version included here is the original version of Mr. Retrolust and does not work with the new lay system.

It is essential to use the included horizontal.ini and vertical.ini files to make the generic bezels work.
The vector.ini and the vector-mono.ini are highly recommended but not essential.
The raster.ini is only to be used if you use the D3D HLSL graphics mode.

For my part I use BGFX for the rasters and the fantastic ArcCabView shader from Houb:

Highly Recommended! https://www.mediafire.com/file/71eylbzx8oom5ji/ArcCabView_MAME_BGFX_Chain_2.2d.7z/file

All hail to Mr. RetroLust , he deserves all the credit.

*************************************************************************************************************

If you found this release useful, you might like this post where I published an update of Dreamstate's  beautiful vertical artworks:

- Be sure to click on 'November 8' =>

Edited by kloug666
Update 2023-11

What's New in Version 0.01   See changelog

Released

- Added '0' to 'A' artworks

- Added 'B' to 'G' artworks

- Added FOLDERS + INI files

- Added 'H' to 'R' artworks

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

User Feedback

You may only provide a review once you have downloaded the file.

cyber7

This is a very nice addon to your MAME environment.  I am using the artwork with HyperSpin and it is such an improvement on the looks!

Thank you for all the hard work.

cyber7 (South Africa, Cape Town)

• Thanks 1
Link to review