LaunchBox Community Forums

The MAME Arcade Pre Configuration Project | Complete Download with Arcade Platform XML 1.0.0

(8 reviews)

21 Screenshots

About This File

Proper update is coming in about a week (06/08/24). More games and fixes!

8 Months (so far), 3550 games, 100's of hours configuring and too many late nights to count..... this is the MAME Arcade Pre Config Project.

If you want show your appreciation and support the project and myself please check put my Patreon https://www.patreon.com/warpedpolygon

No need to use the importer with the provided custom platform xml. I fully recommend using this to get the most out of what's been done.

If you have been following along you know what the score is. If you are new here, let me explain what all this is.

MAME is awesome, however like many other emulators it doesn't know what your use case is, how can it. So, it's defaults are more of a 'one size fits all... but not perfectly' kind of deal. As a result getting things setup can be a mine field. This isn't just down to MAME defaults, plenty of games present you with a bunch of hoops to jump through just to play the damn thing. This, on top of figuring out controls, (which is the main point here) can be a very frustrating experience. Even google can come up short sometimes leaving you to fumble around in the dark. Removing this frustration is the whole point of the project. I see lots of github requests for MAME that aren't emulation issues, they're configuration and setup issues. This project should alleviate the rage of most users. FOR CONTROL PAD USERS.

So, let's just get into the stuff you wanna hear. To keep it simple I'm gonna list what IS here and what ISN'T here:

WHAT IS HERE

• Every working Parent ROM has been configured. Although, some games listed as NOT WORKING do indeed work to some degree. These have also been configured to future proof the project.
  • Clones and/or preferred versions have been identified, configured and added in ADDITION to their parent counterparts. This could be an uncensored Japanese version, control hack, translation or even a sequel. In some instances an entirely different game can be a clone version. This is such an important part of the project.
  • All English region Names/Versions have been configured. You may know a game by a completely different name depending on your region. All English versions with different names have been configured. So, if it's Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom, or just Zoom 909 to you, you'll be able to find it. It'll have that title in game also. I haven't just duplicated the parent version and changed the name in LB.
  • All games have been tested and controls configured for XINPUT Controllers. This has been done per game. Some games needed ages spent on them to figure what the hell was going on. Robocop 2 has diagonals that need mapping to the second player joystick, despite being a one player game. So, you can imagine the time and testing that went in.
  • Multiplayer games set to work with maximum players. Pretty much 70% of 4 player games were setup for 2 players by default. Games that remove the character selection for 4 players have had their 2 player versions also added so you have the choice.
  • Multi screen games set for both one and two screen use. You will have the choice to launch the 1 screen or 2 screen version without having to set everything up. These maybe listed a 1 and 2 player variants.
  • All analog games have had their sensitivity checked and changed if needed. Yes, the trackball Sonic game works just fine despite what people say.
  • Every configured game has a control layout image.
  • Working Prototypes are here.
  • English set for Japanese only games wherever possible. There's more than you think.
  • Unlockable/hidden content pre unlocked. Keep in mind some cheats for hidden content are a one time use and don't save to NVRAM.
  • Fighting game button layouts are setup to all be the same. Exactly the same as Street Fighter 2 on SNES for 6 button fighters. 
  • Light gun games set for controller AND mouse usage. Inaccurate games have been calibrated.
  • Widescreen games set to pixel aspect.
  • Technical hoops already jumped through.
  • Much, much, much more.

WHAT ISN'T HERE

• Mah-jong games that use a Mah-jong panel. These simply have too many inputs to map to a controller. Mah-jong games that use a joystick are here.
  • Japanese quiz games.
  • Gambling and video poker games. Basically anything with a BET, HOLD input system.
  • Japanese clone versions, UNLESS they are preferred or have additional content. 
  • Truly non working games that simply black screen.
  • Any arcade platforms better emulated outside of MAME for e.g. Sega Model 2 & 3.

ABOUT THE PLATFORM XML

A lot of work has gone into making sure these games are all accounted for in the xml. There were a bunch of roms that weren't recognised by the importer or games that simply haven't yet been added to the Database. I have made sure that these have been added and named correctly before I start changing/updating the database. Also, I have gone the extra mile and added version info in the title of the game if there are multiples of the same game. So, you will see The Simpsons (2 Player) and The Simpsons (4 Players) as separate versions for extra convenience. PlayChoice-10 games and mega play games have also had this info added to the title so you know exactly what version is being selected, despite sharing the same name as other versions/games.

MAME SET ADVICE AND MERGED ROMS

Despite my previous statements, Non-Merged is the best for sooo many reasons. I plead with you, just go non merged and you'll have a better time. 
However, I have been accommodating and everything has been setup for Merged set users also. But, having games setup as individual roms is way easier to manage than using a merged set and selecting/expanding different versions. This presented a problem that I cant be asked to explain. The long and short is MERGED SET USERS WILL NEED TO USE THE DUMMY ZIP FILES PROVIDED TO BE ABLE TO LAUNCH CLONES. This is so LaunchBox has something to grab onto and launch the game. Is it an elegant solution....NO. Does it just work and future proof any updates and changes that MAME may make to the Merged set...YES. This is because there's a dummy zip for every game, simply copy paste them into your roms folder and DO NOT REPLACE any files that are already present. DO NOT REPLACE. DO NOT REPLACE. 

Not all Merged set users are going to like that solution. My advice if you are not wanting to use dummy zips....get a Non-Merged set.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Download CFG, NVRAM and Control Layout Images
  2. Put CFG and NVRAM files in the cfg and nvram folders of MAME
  3. Use Images however you want. I like to put these in the Screenshot - Gameplay images folder so they display in the side bar. If you don't use a gameplay screenshots this is a nice solution outside of BigBox.
  4. This has been made for use with XINPUT controllers. If you aren't using an XINPUT controller you can use DS4windows or it's alternative.

USING THE ARCADE PLATFORM XML

1. Download the Arcade.xml
  2. (Merged Set users ONLY) Grab ALL the DUMMY ZIPS and place in Roms folder. DO NOT REPLACE anything that is already there.
  3. Backup your old xml just in case if you have one.
  4. Make sure LaunchBox is not running
  5. Place Arcade.xml into Data->Platforms folder in LaunchBox
  6. Start LaunchBox. The Arcade platform should be showing now.
  7. Select all games in the Arcade platform (Ctrl+A), then go to Tools->File Management->Change ROMs Folder Path for Selected Games
  8. Find your ROMs folder and select it.
  9. Don't forget to set your emulator path and set it as the default for Arcade platform.
  10. PLAY!!!

This project will be kept up to date moving forward. If you have any info, suggestions or whatever just holler in the comments. 

Edited by Warped Polygon

What's New in Version 1.0.0   See changelog

Released

Just changed the folder layout for images to match what is shown in video. Nothing major, if you have this already downloaded this update does nothing for you.

Added Video to description.

Proper update coming within a week.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8
  • Game On 1
  • Unusual Gem 6

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It's finally over! you must be relieved.  I've been following along from the start and cherry picking what I wanted from each set.  Does this release contain any configs for games not covered in the other sets or is this just the rest bundled together?

It's been a good ride, discovering so many hidden gems, and also late nights getting everything needed and testing them (CHD's, working roms etc) 🤣

Thank you for your hard work 🤗

(I've just read on Discord that 1000 new are included, I don't suppose by any chance you have the new stuff sorted separate anymore, so you could share just the new additions?)

Edited by andyeatscheese

1 hour ago, andyeatscheese said:

It's finally over! you must be relieved.  I've been following along from the start and cherry picking what I wanted from each set.  Does this release contain any configs for games not covered in the other sets or is this just the rest bundled together?

It's been a good ride, discovering so many hidden gems, and also late nights getting everything needed and testing them (CHD's, working roms etc) 🤣

Thank you for your hard work 🤗

(I've just read on Discord that 1000 new are included, I don't suppose by any chance you have the new stuff sorted separate anymore, so you could share just the new additions?)

Hi mate, thanks for the love. Yeah I can finally move on to sorting out anf updating everything else.

This release does include stuff that I had previously missed as well as the 1000 other games. I recommend using this new Complete download. I know it's frustrating if you have been cherry picking, but I messed up and forgot to put out the last part on it's own. I can provide you with the list of additions since the last release if you wanna use that to help add wjat you want out of it? 

1 minute ago, Warped Polygon said:

Hi mate, thanks for the love. Yeah I can finally move on to sorting out anf updating everything else.

This release does include stuff that I had previously missed as well as the 1000 other games. I recommend using this new Complete download. I know it's frustrating if you have been cherry picking, but I messed up and forgot to put out the last part on it's own. I can provide you with the list of additions since the last release if you wanna use that to help add wjat you want out of it? 

That list would be great if it's not too much trouble. 

Great work. I can’t imagine how much time you've put into this but I’m sure I speak for others as well saying thank you for all the effort 👍

I may have to update my mame now then and used non-merged sets instead of my usual merged 😂

i have a couple of questions, would it be wise to use The image renamer to rename all our media to the rom names before we add your xml?

and I have a Gun4ir lightgun.  Seeing as you have calibrated these for mouse and controller should I leave the cfg and nvrams out of all the lightgun games as I have set mine up already for lightgun use use?

On 12/6/2023 at 9:26 PM, Baggio said:

Great work. I can’t imagine how much time you've put into this but I’m sure I speak for others as well saying thank you for all the effort 👍

I may have to update my mame now then and used non-merged sets instead of my usual merged 😂

i have a couple of questions, would it be wise to use The image renamer to rename all our media to the rom names before we add your xml?

and I have a Gun4ir lightgun.  Seeing as you have calibrated these for mouse and controller should I leave the cfg and nvrams out of all the lightgun games as I have set mine up already for lightgun use use?

Thanks mate. If you use the image renamer after you've setup the xml you'll have more success. Keep in mind they'll be no artwork at all for some games. I need to have a chat with someone that creates artwork actually, perhaps someone can fill in what's missing. As for light gun stuff yeah leave that out if you have already setup for lightguns. MAME has a specific input system for lightguns. 

Edited by Warped Polygon

On 12/16/2023 at 3:08 PM, Warped Polygon said:

Thanks mate. If you use the image renamer after you've setup the xml you'll have more success. Keep in mind they'll be no artwork at all for some games. I need to have a chat with someone that creates artwork actually, perhaps someone can fill in what's missing. As for light gun stuff yeah leave that out if you have already setup for lightguns. MAME has a specific input system for lightguns. 

Ok cool, thanks.

I thought these might be useful for people with lightguns so they can move all their own lightgun cfgs and nvram files out before adding yours so they just paste them over your ones after and keep their settings.

_Move Mame Lightgun nvrams.bat_Move Mame Lightgun cfgs.bat

I believe I have all the Lightgun games from Mame listed in this, if not let me know.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the effort and work you put into finishing this incredible project.

One question, just out of curiosity. Is it possible to convert these settings to Retroarch?

Thank you very much for this great work.
The layout I have in my arcade with Xinput is the following:
image.thumb.png.e2c247cd09cce4e8ea0904e16dacdc2c.png

For example in Street Fighter games (Capcom) is using the RB (Strong Punch) and RT (Strong Kick) buttons, It is the standard in fightstick controls.

Thanks for all your hard work on this,I'm really enjoying using your configs @Warped Polygon. Is there a way to view the controller layout images from a pause screen in Big Box by any chance? I had a look around the forums as I've been out of the loop, but I don't see the functionality there. If I converted the images to pdfs and pop them in the folder for game manuals could I view them that way as a kind of hack of the pause screen functionality?

EDIT: I can confirm that this does work. I just tested it with the image for 3 Count Bout. I think I will see if I can batch convert the images to pdfs.

On 1/27/2024 at 9:13 AM, Charco said:

Thanks for all your hard work on this,I'm really enjoying using your configs @Warped Polygon. Is there a way to view the controller layout images from a pause screen in Big Box by any chance? I had a look around the forums as I've been out of the loop, but I don't see the functionality there. If I converted the images to pdfs and pop them in the folder for game manuals could I view them that way as a kind of hack of the pause screen functionality?

EDIT: I can confirm that this does work. I just tested it with the image for 3 Count Bout. I think I will see if I can batch convert the images to pdfs.

I've been setting this up and use this.  You have to put the Images in the Controls - Information folder though using the zip I've linked and not the main one.   The main file uses a newly made "Game Controls" which works for the Platform Images but not specific game images. 

I'm in the process of seeing if I can tidy the images up as I use a 4k TV so they don't look great when stretched.   I have had a quick test of just keeping the images the same size and placing them into a 1080x720 background and they look a lot better but the information is quite small and the rest bare. 😂

This is what it looks like with the pause screen i am currently making.  As i say very bare but WIP.  If Anyone has any suggestions on what to add to that and where abouts such as playtime, players etc let me know.

image.thumb.png.6820d9877129cd8dad809883402d6975.png

Edited by Baggio
  • Like 1

Looks pretty cool. I'm surprised this isn't an official feature in LaunchBox and we would not have to go about adding it manually ourselves. It's great to be able to view images fullscreen, but you generally would want to view controller layouts while playing a game and not beforehand and try to remember what you saw.

22 minutes ago, Charco said:

Looks pretty cool. I'm surprised this isn't an official feature in LaunchBox and we would not have to go about adding it manually ourselves. It's great to be able to view images fullscreen, but you generally would want to view controller layouts while playing a game and not beforehand and try to remember what you saw.

I'm not sure what the default one is like tbh.   I'm pretty restricted on what I can do with the pause theme as I'm having to use the original images with the grey background.  I tried removing the background so I could have a png with just the text and controller but the images are to small to do that with.

We could edit current pause themes to look something like these though without too much hassle.

.Pause1.png.c249e364b8d72b607117f39195edae95.thumb.png.6cbc95bfcd75fb25e39d490d2a3a99d4.png

1502994075_BigFade1920-01.png.b1bdd69949887e560ff99f871c1ba090.thumb.png.08a2bd249f7fc777a61ac3a1eb399c5e.png

Edited by Baggio
  • Like 1

Tried this last night with a PS5 controller which isnt Xinput so had to use DS4Windows which worked fine except for your controller will always show up as second player, because mame still sees the first player as your "Real" controller and not the fake Xbox controller DS4windows is simulating. DS4windows website recomends using HidHide to hide the real controller, but dont do it. After uninstalling HidHide it will render your USB keyboard and mouse "Hidden" and unusable and seems to happen to other people based off their GitHub page. I had to boot in safe mode and use a restore point to gain access to my USB peripherals again. So, Just a heads up that DS4windows will work for your PS5 controllers if you dont mind being 2nd player, but dont install HidHide. 

10 hours ago, Baggio said:

I'm not sure what the default one is like tbh.   I'm pretty restricted on what I can do with the pause theme as I'm having to use the original images with the grey background.  I tried removing the background so I could have a png with just the text and controller but the images are to small to do that with.

We could edit current pause themes to look something like these though without too much hassle.

.Pause1.png.c249e364b8d72b607117f39195edae95.thumb.png.6cbc95bfcd75fb25e39d490d2a3a99d4.png

1502994075_BigFade1920-01.png.b1bdd69949887e560ff99f871c1ba090.thumb.png.08a2bd249f7fc777a61ac3a1eb399c5e.png

I use that second pause theme currently. That looks pretty sweet. Might be too small though.

This is awesome.  I'm a super idiot with MAME (pretty good with other emulators though).

My question is:  Where can I find the latest non merged romset?  I know they're up to around .260 now, but I can't find anything modern at all..

Edited by GGAA

39 minutes ago, GGAA said:

This is awesome.  I'm a super idiot with MAME (pretty good with other emulators though).

My question is:  Where can I find the latest non merged romset?  I know they're up to around .260 now, but I can't find anything modern at all..

Having issues with harddriv.zip

Can't figure out how to start the engine ?

no matter what combination of keys used, no luck.

Using latest MAME

Thanks

Screenshot (321).png

Edited by zugswang
  • Unusual Gem 1

@zugswangIt should be the start button. I cant remember off the top but will check this eve and let you know if anything needs changing 

Edited by Warped Polygon
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 2:06 AM, XboxSlacker said:

This is amazing work. Any chance of adding Dragon's Lair (dlair) now that it has been promoted to working in 262?

Isn't this better with Daphne emulator? 

Hi guys,

i have just now last MAME 0.263 non-merged + MAME CHDs (merged). 

Roms are zipped (138GB) and CHDS are folders (938GB), now i put all together in one folder Games called MAME and install last version of same MAME and finally can i use this setting for preconfigured all ???

IT's tested with last version of mame ? It's ready to play ? 4 players are configured ? no-nag etc... ??

Thanks for all guys ! :D

FYI,

Seems to be a problem with the sf.cfg file

Boots into test menu and I can't get out of it.

See attached image.

Once cfg file is deleted the issue is resolved.

Screenshot (335).png

Edited by zugswang
  • Thanks 1

Hi have last version of MAME 0.263 and i do a new importation on launchbox, it's very easy.

Normally i have 2953 games while with your xml i have 3543 games but i have many problems:

In playlist's MAME there aren't any games now....

And others... for example miss Area 51/ Maximum Force duo v2.0 respect original installation.

Why this ? How to do ??

Edited by marcosgaming