LaunchBox Community Forums

Current Weather Control for BigBox 1.0.2

(1 review)

2 Screenshots

About This File

Yahoo killed their YQL API on January 3rd 2019, which this plugin uses to get the weather data, so it no longer works. Until I have time to switch it to a different weather API it will remain broken.

Grila's BigBox Weather Control v1.0.2

BigBox Control/Plugin

1/3/2018

Description

This control will periodically retrieve the current weather conditions, displayed as a relevant icon, and temperature for the location you choose and display them in a BigBox theme. The location and display units (C or F) are end-user configurable. What this means is this: anyone who uses a theme that incorporates this control can set their location and display units to either Celsius or Fahrenheit by a simple edit of a config file (thank you @eatkinola for the help with that). I'm not sure if there is any want for this kind of information in BigBox (the idea came from looking at my phone's home screen), but the more options for theme's the better. 

Changelog

v1.0.2 (1/3/2018)

• Added ShowTemp bool
  • Added ShowConditions bool

v1.0.1 (1/2/2018):

• Added ShowUnits bool
  • Added ShowLocation bool
  • Added ItemSpacing property

v1.0.0 (11/8/2017):

• Initial release

Notes

This isn't a plugin that can just be dropped into the plugin's folder, it's a user control that theme makers (or anyone with enough knowledge for that matter) can incorporate into their themes much like my other controls for controller status, battery percent, etc. I've included instructions (with pictures) on how to get this into a theme.

Screenshot (upper right corner)

ss.thumb.jpg.eab30361e0c70aaf8c9d32cd807812ce.jpg

What's New in Version 1.0.2   See changelog

Released

Grila's BigBox Weather Control v1.0.2
BigBox Control/Plugin
1/3/2018

Description
-----------
This control will periodically retrieve the current weather conditions and temperature for the location you choose from Yahoo Weather and display them in a BigBox theme.

Changelog
---------

v1.0.2 (1/3/2018)
- Added ShowTemp bool
- Added ShowConditions bool

v1.0.1 (1/2/2018)
- Added ShowUnits bool
- Added ShowLocation bool
- Added ItemSpacing

v1.0.0 (11/8/2017):
- Initial release

• Thanks 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 11/23/2017 at 1:05 PM, spektor56 said:

"(the idea came from looking at my phone's home screen)"

*cough* 

Lol

Umm no. I hadn't even remembered this post from 8 months ago (or you for that matter) until you linked to it. Don't flatter yourself.

so I went to the site you said, woeidlookup.com. It doesn't recognize Toronto or Canada. LOL. 

I found an ID on Yahoo for Toronto (4118) but it doesn't work. 

Any ideas?  

Yahoo ended support for their YQL api, which this plugin uses. Until I have time to switch it to another weather api it won't work. 

Thanks for the heads up...... Many theme developers had included this great plugin with their builds....   I guess we will all be forced to go outside again ?