LaunchBox Community Forums

Current Weather Control for BigBox

Current Weather Control for BigBox

View File

Yahoo killed their YQL API on January 3rd 2019, which this plugin uses to get the weather data, so it no longer works. Until I have time to switch it to a different weather API it will remain broken.

Grila's BigBox Weather Control v1.0.2

BigBox Control/Plugin

1/3/2018

Description

This control will periodically retrieve the current weather conditions, displayed as a relevant icon, and temperature for the location you choose and display them in a BigBox theme. The location and display units (C or F) are end-user configurable. What this means is this: anyone who uses a theme that incorporates this control can set their location and display units to either Celsius or Fahrenheit by a simple edit of a config file (thank you @eatkinola for the help with that). I'm not sure if there is any want for this kind of information in BigBox (the idea came from looking at my phone's home screen), but the more options for theme's the better. 

Changelog

v1.0.2 (1/3/2018)

• Added ShowTemp bool
  • Added ShowConditions bool

v1.0.1 (1/2/2018):

• Added ShowUnits bool
  • Added ShowLocation bool
  • Added ItemSpacing property

v1.0.0 (11/8/2017):

• Initial release

Notes

This isn't a plugin that can just be dropped into the plugin's folder, it's a user control that theme makers (or anyone with enough knowledge for that matter) can incorporate into their themes much like my other controls for controller status, battery percent, etc. I've included instructions (with pictures) on how to get this into a theme.

Screenshot (upper right corner)

ss.thumb.jpg.eab30361e0c70aaf8c9d32cd807812ce.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

Hey Grila, I recently played around with your plugin and it works like a charm :)

But nevertheless I have a few requests if you don’t mind:

1. Show C or F behind the °

2. Being able to change the font and text color of the temperature

3. Show the name of the currently set up location

Easy enough but I am off until Tuesday, January 2nd so it won't be until then.

• Like 1

Now that my kids are in bed and I have more time to think back, I'm pretty sure you can style the text like any normal textblock. Did you try adding FontFamily="whatever" and Foreground="whatever" to the element?

Edited by Grila

Alright @CriticalCid, your requests are added and the file has been updated in the downloads section. The units and location are bools and the item spacing is an int that adjusts........................the item spacing :)

<g:GrilaWeather Grid.Column="2" ShowUnits="True" ShowLocation="True" Foreground="White" ItemSpacing="5"/>

Screenshot:

5a4bb01b403d9_LaunchBoxBigBox1_2_201811_03_12AM.thumb.png.9a36ca380777a666a55e1868eea39e03.png

Edited by Grila
  • Thanks 1

Awesome! Thank you very much it works great!

I noticed that I run into spacing problems with long location names. Would it be possible to add “Show” properties for the weather symbol and the temperature as well? With that I could add a second instance of your plugin in a new line under the first one which only shows the location.

10 minutes ago, CriticalCid said:

Awesome! Thank you very much it works great!

I noticed that I run into spacing problems with long location names. Would it be possible to add “Show” properties for the weather symbol and the temperature as well? With that I could add a second instance of your plugin in a new line under the first one which only shows the location.

Of course, I'll work on it today sometime.

• Like 1