LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox 4.02

(27 reviews)

56 Screenshots

About This File

The CoverBox project is one where my goal is to recreate retro console's boxart as a BigBox Theme.

Each theme is designed for 1080p.

P.S. I created graphic assets for the star ratings. Please feel free to use them in your theme.

With the release of CoverBox 4.0, the theme has been completely ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator. I now included the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files that you can use to load into the CTC to make any edits that you'd like. Please follow these instructions to do so:

• Make sure you already have a copy of the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and you have it set up (link below)
  • Download both the Theme files and COMMUNITY Theme Creator files
  • Extract the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files into your COMMUNITY Theme Creator\My Theme Projects folder (don't forget to right click the archive, go into properties, and unblock the file)
  • Open the Theme files zip, go into the Fonts folder and install all the fonts in there.
  • Open the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, you should now find it in the dropdown list of themes

Installation Instructions

1. Download the CoverBox - Theme Files.zip file.
  2. Right click the file, go to properties and make sure to unblock the file
  3. Open the zip file and place the folder into the LaunchBox\Themes folder
  4. Select the CoverBox theme in BigBox

CoverBox Images

List of Supported Platforms

Spoiler
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • ColecoVision
  • Mattel Intellivision
  • NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Super Nintendo ENtertainment System
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • Nintendo Game Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Color
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Mark III
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega CD
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • SNK Neo Geo AES
  • Sony PlayStation
  • Sony PlayStation 2
  • Arcade
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Atari Lynx
  • NEC PC Engine
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Nintendo Famicom Disk System
  • Nintendo Pokemon Mini
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Sony PSP
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Windows
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • WonderSwan
  • WonderSwan Color
  • GCE Vectrex
  • 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

Thanks

What's New in Version 4.02   See changelog

Released

• Text List With Details - Platform videos and platform images should be the same width
  • Text List With Details - Animation has been added to the platform box images
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 15
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

5 hours ago, illegalhugs said:

Damn. Totally thought that was a reference to the multitude of his release work being combined into one iteration, instead of being the disclaimer of minimum requirement for full functionality.

Thank you for the help!

If you're the Dev reading this, please help those of us out by letting us know it's required in the release. I barely have time these days to spend on this hobby, I'm purely going off of what it's front of me. Having some clear language around software requirements would help folks like myself avoid any confusion. Despite the tone, I am grateful. Thank you for your work.

If you use the changelog dropdown you can pick a older version to download.

image.thumb.png.ea56f2ebc3e865f2d6221fbfc62b7f94.png

On 6/4/2019 at 2:02 AM, neil9000 said:

If you use the changelog dropdown you can pick a older version to download.

image.thumb.png.ea56f2ebc3e865f2d6221fbfc62b7f94.png

Thank you so much @neil9000! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to help out a stranger and provide the easy steps to follow! Have a great day!

Mais um tema de incrível. Impressionante sua criatividade.
Eu gosto muito de converter temas de qualidade como para o AttractMode, você permitiria este também? Pois você já permitiu eu converter o "Illuminate". Não resisto em ficar só assistindo. 
Obrigado mais uma vez. Já sou seu fã. ?

18 hours ago, CrismiKiller said:

Mais um tema de incrível. Impressionante sua criatividade.
Eu gosto muito de converter temas de qualidade como para o AttractMode, você permitiria este também? Pois você já permitiu eu converter o "Illuminate". Não resisto em ficar só assistindo. 
Obrigado mais uma vez. Já sou seu fã. ?

Hi @CrismiKiller. Sure. Keep me posted on your progress.

Facebook.thumb.png.66c5c87db4a07c2f01fda60280c4396c.pngIs ready: Sega Genesis, Mega Drive Brazil, Mega Drive Brazil 2 and Mega Drive Europe.
I made two modifications because the AttractMode does not have age rating and game rating, so I traded by game genre and favorites, respectively.
I hope you approve of my ideas. ?

Edited by CrismiKiller
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 1

Hey could someone help me with this error on nec turbografx 16 ?

This is the line in question :

<y2guru:Element1Text x:Key="Element1Text"/>

image.thumb.png.1f0d4ee62df43033122c1fcc3e2ceec4.png

Edited by Krako13

Mind if you add in support for the following systems?
Famicom Disk System, 3DO, Wonderswan, Wonderswan Color, Turbografx CD, PSP, Nintendo DS, Virtual Boy, Atari Lynx, Atari Jaguar, Pokemon Mini, Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket Color, SEGA Pico

On 8/23/2019 at 2:33 PM, rabbids4eva said:

Mind if you add in support for the following systems?
Famicom Disk System, 3DO, Wonderswan, Wonderswan Color, Turbografx CD, PSP, Nintendo DS, Virtual Boy, Atari Lynx, Atari Jaguar, Pokemon Mini, Neo Geo Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket Color, SEGA Pico

This would be the dream to finish the majority of systems. Maybe one day. Just note that Nintendo Virtual Boy is already one of the systems included.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:12 PM, evansoft said:

I love the theme! Quick question: how do you view the box art as shown in some of the screenshots? Thanks!

See this post where I explain this:

Hi, just a thank you for the last DS theme that is really nice :) just the fontsize of the game list maybe too small on a high resolution, but easy to change it by myself. I hope a really similar one for the 3ds next ? 

Keep doing good job, appreciate :) 

On 3/30/2018 at 8:55 PM, faeran said:

That's good to hear. Try it out. I've also managed to solve the sound issue. Let me know how it goes.

CoverBox - Master System - 43.zip 685.63 kB · 28 downloads

As far as others go. They will be much harder to convert to a 4:3 view. Would have to make a number of sacrifices to make some of them work. I would have to think really hard about each one individually.

Hello Faeran. 

Your theme is really great ! I love it !

I'm using a 4:3 screen too and that would be great if you can plan a version of your theme for this screen ratio.

I understand this is a lot of work and this may impact some visual, but if you could make one that would be awesome;

Thank again and continue the good work.

12 hours ago, romain69 said:

Hello Faeran. 

Your theme is really great ! I love it !

I'm using a 4:3 screen too and that would be great if you can plan a version of your theme for this screen ratio.

I understand this is a lot of work and this may impact some visual, but if you could make one that would be awesome;

Thank again and continue the good work.

Thanks @romain69. I can definitely see the benefit for this, but will definitely be a ton of work to get everything to fit in a different screen ratio.

It is on my to-do list, as I would love to see it as well. Realistically, I wouldn't start it until possibly the summer.

I'm so excited this theme is still being updated, it's my favorite! I try to have my Big Box themes & videos setup to capture the personality of each console/computer, and this theme is pretty crucial to that. One question - is there a reason why the detailed layout for NES was removed awhile ago? I currently still have the old version installed so I can use that for my NES romhacks, but I was curious if there was a reason why it wasn't an alternate view. 

Thanks for continuing to update this! Really helps to have a cohesive feeling between all my platforms in Big Box.

This is simply amazing, i can only hope you add newer consoles to this like PS3, Xbox 360, and maybe even Nintendo Switch.

These look so good on Big Box

I Might need some help at Sega Master System :(  I love your theme however, my Sega Master System looks different in the right bottom conner. Mine shows Logo instead of 3D box, and I have no idea what is going wrong, I checked the image and could not see any mistake. Please help me..

Hi, I have been watched your videos on youtube and is there any chance that you could provide the community version of cover box ? I really love your theme and want to port this to handheld (windows handheld like gpd AYA neo) the handheld is 800p and some of the theme would looks really weird at that resolution. Kindly if you could help me out on that , I could support you by partron or something simlar to that!

CoverBox has now been updated to version 4.0, and it's a big one.

• The theme has been completely ported to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator (a year in the making). This means you can now load up the Theme Creator files into the CTC and make any changes you would like.
  • 9 Brand New systems have been added (most are thanks to phelix01 for his initial designs). This brings the total number of supported systems to 46:
    • Microsoft Xbox
    • Nintendo Switch
    • SNK Neo Geo Pocket
    • SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
    • GCE Vectrex
    • 3DO Interactive Multiplayer
    • WonderSwan
    • WonderSwan Color
  • Revamped Platform Wheel 1
  • Brand New Text Filters View
  • Overhauled Text Games View (this is the fallback for when there's no platform specific view)

Images of the new platforms:

Spoiler

9.thumb.jpg.d38ab709d7d216a5de9a5f10f3a9b033.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.66581c1f8d60081bf2da31840a221a88.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.8b2e5e7f2ad08c6d25146817cf72f21e.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.24395bc91d2b0d695cdf39c78cfc8127.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.7b0572fa5f8b5319453cf94b8d038690.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.209e6d4fdfa2d55acfba0fe82e0c7c9c.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.e9b048d0d2ec26b2c4cbc9b80b141045.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.dfc5d4abdd7692cdc4e14a9151a7092f.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.576682a25fc777697f336f070435473d.jpg

@faeran It seems like the default view/fallback for platforms that are not themed yet, doesn't seem to play videos when you have VLC media player set as your default player.  If you use Windows Media Player it does seem to play videos though.  Thought I'd let you know.  Other than that, great them as usual :)

1 hour ago, CDBlue said:

@faeran It seems like the default view/fallback for platforms that are not themed yet, doesn't seem to play videos when you have VLC media player set as your default player.  If you use Windows Media Player it does seem to play videos though.  Thought I'd let you know.  Other than that, great them as usual :)

Thanks @CDBlue. Makes sense, I was able to fix it up in 4.01.

This was a huge conversion, so if there's any other oddities, let me know.

19 minutes ago, jvlk said:

Okay, best theme by far.

But can you maybe share a version of background arcade-view.png without the scanlines.

While I probably won't be doing this for the official release. You can find the image inside of CoverBox\Media\Backgrounds, and can always edit it out of the image for your personal collection.

21 minutes ago, faeran said:

While I probably won't be doing this for the official release. You can find the image inside of CoverBox\Media\Backgrounds, and can always edit it out of the image for your personal collection.

I know where to find it but maybe you could share a version of arcade-view without the added scanlines on the picture?

50 minutes ago, jvlk said:

I know where to find it but maybe you could share a version of arcade-view without the added scanlines on the picture?

I'll see about adding it to my list. May take a while, so no promises for anytime soon.

If you, or anyone else would like to tackle that, feel free.