LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Feedback

Jason Carr

New features. -Game count in list in (). After the name of the console/system. Optional of course. -Individual volume controls for videos/music/menu sounds? Not sure how easy/difficult this would be. -Not sure how this would work but some kind of search feature, or some way to skip to a specific letter maybe? Having a big list even with skipping through it can be a bit of a pain to find what you want. I'm gonna go say I think skip to letter feature since it's more controller friendly. -This is something probably more long term, but I think generally it would be ideal if you could do things in bigbox that you can do in launchbox, such as scan for/update games(metadata) and such. That's all I've got for now.

@Jason love most all about BigBox as use that almost exclusively, only use LaunchBox as the setup for all emulation now. Agree with DeathProxy volume control for video etc. Also for using BigBox as a frontend in a cab especially if opening up directly to it we need a Exit Windows as well included, or a shut down button for computer inside of BigBox.

Hi Jason. I love both the LaunchBox and BigBox modes and I can't think of anything to remove. And now a few BigBox suggestions follow: Customising of the fonts like we can do in LaunchBox itself. Scrolling for the Platform Details, Game Details and Game Notes boxes where the text is too lenghty to be seen all at once. An option to assign a platform's Device Image as a global background for all games in the platform.

Now that BBM is up and running, anything that is left out will more than likely make its way in to BBM. Now its just a matter of getting up to feature parody. Speaking of which, I haven't really weighed in on BBM too much because I just don't have a need for it; however, it doesn't stop it from looking amazing. You kind of out did yourself Jason. ;)

Hello Jason, So far, I really like LaunchBox and BigBox. A couple features I could see being useful : In Big Box Mode, adding auto-scrolling to the names in the game titles that are too long to be completely shown; and, 2) a separate batch-function to add video/picture/music to already scrapped games. I have tons of games to add, but my video games don't match exactly the rom name, and adding them one by one is a real pain... Thanks! Kiss Edit: Te 2nd suggestion is not specifically for BigBox, just for launchbox in general.

A few more suggestions 1.)This one should be fairly simple, just add the ability to HOLD the page up and page down buttons to continue scrolling instead of having to constantly click the button. 2.)I imagine this one isn't possible or is a pain, but being able to open the manuals in some kind of full screen view from big box(like you can screenshots), would be really cool. If not does anyone have any idea how to do this a little more elegant? Such as open it in an already fullscreen view and some way to close it kind of like an emulator when starting a game? 3.) Option to show game banners instead of the text or maybe show if available? I don't think I'd even prefer this method over the current text there is but emumovies which I used to grab my video files has game title banners and maybe some people would like to scroll through that somehow? 4.)Maps. There are very few of these from emumovies but I still think it's be cool as an option to open up one(in the same way manual functions now). Just have a maps folder in launchbox the same way the other ones work. 5.)This might be more of a question than a suggestions. Is there such thing as transparent system(console) images with launchbox? I like the grey color background and want when im selecting my system for it to show it in the background, I found some on the forums but they do the white background and I don't like that:(. If this isn't possible that'd be cool.

DeathProxy said 2)I imagine this one isn't possible or is a pain, but being able to open the manuals in some kind of full screen view from big box(like you can screenshots), would be really cool. If not does anyone have any idea how to do this a little more elegant? Such as open it in an already fullscreen view and some way to close it kind of like an emulator when starting a game?
Set your default reading program to open in fullscreen and be sure your manuals are all in a compatible format. I use CDisplay and make sure my manuals are in PDF or CBZ. In order for this to work, CDisplay or an alternative must be the default program for these file types.

Nathan DiYorio said
DeathProxy said 2)I imagine this one isn't possible or is a pain, but being able to open the manuals in some kind of full screen view from big box(like you can screenshots), would be really cool. If not does anyone have any idea how to do this a little more elegant? Such as open it in an already fullscreen view and some way to close it kind of like an emulator when starting a game?
Set your default reading program to open in fullscreen and be sure your manuals are all in a compatible format. I use CDisplay and make sure my manuals are in PDF or CBZ. In order for this to work, CDisplay an alternative must be the default program for these file types.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I ever use a machine specific for this setup, which I may one day, I'll give this a try. I use the machine my setup is currently on for other things so I likely won't be doing this for now.

SagaXIV said Hello Jason, So far, I really like LaunchBox and BigBox. A couple features I could see being useful : In Big Box Mode, adding auto-scrolling to the names in the game titles that are too long to be completely shown; and, 2) a separate batch-function to add video/picture/music to already scrapped games. I have tons of games to add, but my video games don't match exactly the rom name, and adding them one by one is a real pain... Thanks! Kiss Edit: Te 2nd suggestion is not specifically for BigBox, just for launchbox in general.
Good ideas, @SagaXIV, thanks. Per #2, have you tried just putting the files in the right folder? LaunchBox does make some educated guesses, so it's possible that most of them would just work.

DeathProxy said A few more suggestions 1.)This one should be fairly simple, just add the ability to HOLD the page up and page down buttons to continue scrolling instead of having to constantly click the button. 2.)I imagine this one isn't possible or is a pain, but being able to open the manuals in some kind of full screen view from big box(like you can screenshots), would be really cool. If not does anyone have any idea how to do this a little more elegant? Such as open it in an already fullscreen view and some way to close it kind of like an emulator when starting a game? 3.) Option to show game banners instead of the text or maybe show if available? I don't think I'd even prefer this method over the current text there is but emumovies which I used to grab my video files has game title banners and maybe some people would like to scroll through that somehow? 4.)Maps. There are very few of these from emumovies but I still think it's be cool as an option to open up one(in the same way manual functions now). Just have a maps folder in launchbox the same way the other ones work. 5.)This might be more of a question than a suggestions. Is there such thing as transparent system(console) images with launchbox? I like the grey color background and want when im selecting my system for it to show it in the background, I found some on the forums but they do the white background and I don't like that:(. If this isn't possible that'd be cool.
Hi @DeathProxy, #1 and #2 are planned, though of course #2 is a pain so that probably won't be soon. Per #3, yeah, I've been thinking about trying to do that like Hyperspin, sort of, somehow. Especially since EmuMovies has so many good ones. Per #4, I'd suggest using an additional application. Since there's so few, and they don't apply to most games, that's probably the best bet. You can open anything with additional apps, even documents. Per #5, you mean images of the actual console in the background? LaunchBox doesn't come with the console images, but you can add them in Manage Platforms, and then Big Box should show them when browsing the platforms, if configured that way.