LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Feedback

Jason Carr

I had similar problem going from Kodi to BigBox. The funny thing is, I only got there error if I had explorer.exe running. If I use Kodi as a shell and go right from Kodi to BigBox, the issue goes away. As that's my normal preference, I have no issue. BigBix itself is a great achievement. Very user friendly. It pretty much solves the very few issues I ever had with LaunchBox. Right now, the only thing on my wish list would be the ability to sort by platform, genre, series, etc. like it's possible with LaunchBox. Thanks once again for all your hard work on this program. I have very rarely come across a developer as willing to integrate users ideas into the project as you. It is greatly appreciated.

-I would like my bigbox to resemble a psp xmb. Instead of having the game/console list as words, I would like an option to have them as the logos until highlighted, then it turns into video. Currently, the box art and the video being in the middle of the screen is taking away from being able to view the background. The system logo would still be at the top left like it already is now in bigbox. And the name of the game would be to the right of the highlighted game only. -I would also like that the selection highlighter stays on the left middle centered and instead of the highlighter going up or down, the list goes up and down just like the psp xmb. -I would like for you to disable the left/right d-pad actions to go to the right/left side of the screen (list > list options/gamelist > games). The confirm button does it just fine. I really like the confirm button to be my navigator, not the left/right dpad directions too. I would like this for launchbox as well. -Game options/info would slide from right when a button is pressed like psp xmb/lauchbox. -Secondary category selection. I want to be able to select custom category first, then it switches to system category list. THEN, I want to select the system that it's on before I choose the game. Or vice-versa. Currently, it's only one category at a time. -Time, date, and battery power in upper right hand corner. -delay before showing box art/video. everytime you switch from a game, I'd like to see the default bg we have set before viewing the game box stuff. This will create a seemless fast scroll and it would just look cooler. Currently, it still shows the previous game and displays the new game's art immediately instead of waiting 2 secs. Visual rep of 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGlOayx6_oE

Cool, @shinra358. Per resembling the PSP, I do plan to add multiple views, styles, themes, etc., but we'll probably need to wait until we get to that point before we make all those changes. Some good points with the left/right; I'm not really happy with that piece of the navigation either. The only hesitation I have there is how should you get to the recent and favorite games? Secondary category selection I can see being useful as well, and the delay before showing images and/or videos is probably a good idea too, as is the time/date/battery. I'll add those items to my list. :)

I don't use the recent/favs but you could allow it with that part only or you could use R1/L1 to navigate there or use the 2nd analog stick to have navigation in that area only. I'm thinking the right analog stick for this area only. That's great, thanks for adding those futurely :)

The MESS emulator has been integrated into the MAME binaries for a few months now, and is no longer a separate project. I propose that the entry for MESS should be removed from the list of preconfigured emulators, or rather merged into the MAME entry. Notice on MESS site: http://www.mess.org/ News entry on MAME site: http://www.mamedev.org/?p=406

I just wanted to comment that Big Box kind of already has a potentially powerful second view type. It hasn't been utilized in this way, but... Excuse my poor GIMP abilities. preferredbigbox.png Essentially it's the "Filters" (platforms, genres, whatever you set it to -- the main screen) list with the platform picture and information removed and the "Recent" and "Favorites" lists replaced with the entire library for whatever platform is selected. In this way the user could easily navigate their entire collection by simply sliding left and browsing down the platforms instead of loading into each platform's unique page. Scrolling to the bottom of the tiled page would knock the top row away and replace it with the next five items, like a lettered list. Games should probably be alphabetized. Just a thought. This would probably be my preferred method of using LaunchBox if it were implemented.

eric said is their a way to have bigbox in a windowed mode for editing pic's and refreshing basic editing with out exiting and a restart? thanks....
@eric yes just switch to desktop mode this brings up LaunchBox where you can do your editing, when finished just click on BigBox top right in LaunchBox see image switch.jpg

Thank you very much this just keeps getting better!... spent a few hours editing images...starting with the dreamcast section...i am truly happy with this...ready to let go of my maxumus arcade, best $20 ever soon i will post up pic's when i transfer to my 1983 atari Centipede Cab...W/ custom console track ball mouse... its like a rebirth lol....

• 1 month later...
Hi guys! I've only used the LaunchBox mode, but I'm really looking foward to use Big Box Mode. Based on this, here my requests. - Make a Trial of BigBox mode. I really, really want to try it, and pay for it, but I don't know what features and how the usability of Big Box mode is. - Include a search feature on it I'm a long time user of GameEx, and stoped using it in favor of mGalaxy. It has the most powerfull search I've seen in a frontend. It's fast, simple and works really beutifully with a joystick. Here's a picture of mGalaxy search mode mGalaxy search Again, thanks in advance!

Hi @vsilvalopes, welcome. Trials are unfortunately difficult to do if you don't do DRM, which is why I've put that off. I have a passionate hatred of DRM so I really don't want to do it if I can help it. That said, I may have to consider it in the future. I do plan to add a search feature soon; thanks for adding a +1 on that. :)

I've noticed bigbox only shows/updates art once I stop scrolling. Are there any plans to make it flip through selections in real time? Or maybe like a showcase mode that displays multiple games at once, kind of like the recent and favorites, except for the entire list I really enjoy being able to choose a game based on the artwork, its a pretty slow process when you have to pause on every entry to see it.

I think you should focus on the list you already have. The wait for features already requested from all users is killn meh lol. This is one of the things i asked for b4 as well. And if in between scrolls, it shows default bg instead of game bg that its not on yet. The actual movies should start 2 to 3 secs after uve idled (and game bg pics as well) on a selection. only the box should show instantly. Like a psp (my fav interface type). That way thrre would b no lag. Its optional so ppl without beefy machine have a choice of bb or lb. I doubt it would intensive at all. Im not a big fan of the grid view. I understand ud have to add it later but weve already got that in lb so theres really no rush of interest for that (for me anyway).