LaunchBox Community Forums

Kodi addon for launching big box?

MultipleX

Syriacn said MultipleX, Sorry for the late response, I've been very busy. I tried numerous times to replicate your issue and unfortunately was not successful. Try uninstall BigBox launcher, restart the computer and then reinstall it while leaving steam-launcher uninstall. Let me know if that works at all, if not I will figure this out for you. You can also look under the BigBox launcher settings. One of the first settings is "Quit Kodi?" I haven't had trouble with it on yes or no, but you could try switching that to no. Syriacn
@Syriacn , i re-installed kodi, and i tested the bigbox plugin, and it seems that everything works fine. The issue now is that when i installed superrepo repositories, kodi tried to update bigbox addon to steam addon,(The first time i didnt notice, and big box addon was replaced by steam addon). Syriacn you did a great job, and i report this for future changes. Thank guys!Cool

Sorry for the delay in these fixes. Big Box-Launcher 1.3 Fixes: · Autohotkey icon has been changed to Big Box icon. · The SteamLauncher-AHK autohotkey has been renamed to BigBoxLauncher-AHK. · Big Box-launcher is now compatible with the Steam-launcher, they run perfectly side by side. · Fix a small bug that might have prevented Kodi from coming back up after closing Big Box. · Cleaned up some unnecessary script lines. Enjoy!

@Syriacn I came here looking for a fix to the Steam/BigBox script problem and lo! You have one. However, where is the 1.3 version downloadable from? I'm using the version that was listed on the Launchbox homepage (seems to be 1.2) and it still doesn't work side-by-side with Steam Launcher. Thanks!

@tjwoosta you may want to try using the "Launcher4Kodi" application in Windows (it has nothing to do with LaunchBox/Big Box). It has settings for having Kodi retake focus/unminimize after another application takes control. It can be a little finicky but once you get it set up it's very useful. Also you may want to check out the settings for this plugin. There is a setting for it to close and re-open Kodi. That may show you your desktop for a brief second but it guarantees Kodi will be there when you close Big Box.

Hmm, I figured out after posting last night that my problem only happens when kodi is set to true fullscreen mode. If I set kodi to "fullscreen window" mode it works more like I expected (bix box opens in front of kodi instead of minimizing it), but I do see my windows taskbar at the bottom during transition. I notice in the video linked earlier in this thread that the person didn't have this issue. What might I be doing wrong?

I'm not really sure but I had to do the same thing: use windowed fullscreen. I'd read that it's a DirectX thing where apps want exclusive control in true fullscreen and fight. I couldn't get things working well in Kodi without using the windows fullscreen, so I just gave up and used that. If you use the Launcher4Kodi it can replace the windows shell so you won't see the desktop at all...but YMMV. Quick fix would be to hide the taskbar I suppose (I have given thought to doing that) but you'd still see your desktop wallpaper during transitions.

To be clear with windowed fullscreen I don't see my desktop or taskbar or anything, just kodi. Then when I launch bigbox the taskbar pops up (only during transition, its gone again when I close bigbox), kodi stays displayed on the rest of the screen until bigbox comes up (which is what I want). I was thinking along the same lines as you but instead of auto hiding my taskbar I just themed it to match kodi. I still use the desktop and I cant stand that feeling having things pop out when my mouse gets too close. Ill look into launcher4kodi, I brushed it off at first because it seemed geared toward 24/7 media center (start with windows and all), I just switch on my tv and launch kodi when I want to relax. Most of the time is spent in desktop mode.

Hello guys, I have heard earlier about this issue from someone else, unfortunately I am not able to reproduce this issue on my setup. My Kodi runs full screen, not windowed, and I have not once had this issue, as I mentioned I understand it is happening as this isn't the first time I heard it, but without it happeing right in front of me, and without an error report in the Kodi log (which this situation wouldn't produce one) its taking me a minute to fix. I did find one small line I thought could have been causing it and fixed the line in the last release 1.3, are you using the newest version? Have you tried uninstalling Kodi and reinstalling it? Are you using Windows 10, the last time this issue was reported to us the user was running Windows 10. Syriacn

@Syriacn I am using Windows 10 and I have the same issue: starting Big Box with this add-on will definitely show the taskbar for me. It's not really an issue I particularly mind but I can at least confirm it happens in 10, with v1.3 of your add-on. Thanks, btw, for writing it! It's so much better than having to use Advanced Launcher.

Thanks for this great Kodi add on - this makes LaunchBox even better. I am having a similar (but perhaps not identical) problem to a few others in this thread. Context: Windows 8.1 HTPC with stupid levels of resources (used to be my gaming rig, now repurposed) Kodi 15.1 Isengard with Steam launcher installed Latest LaunchBox (premium, obviously, for BigBox) Kodi set to run in true fullscreen - from memory windowed fullscreen is undesirable in terms of running 24p movies natively and that kind of thing, and I use Kodi extensively to watch movies where this might actually matter Issue: The launcher works perfectly from within Kodi to launch BigBox. I can see the desktop briefly as BigBox comes up, but unlike others this doesn't bother me. However, no matter what I do, when I exit BigBox Kodi is still running but minimised. I have to find my mouse and click on it to bring it back up again. Oddly (and this is why my issue might be slightly different), even if I set the option in the plugin to close Kodi, Kodi remains open. I can check this by alt-tabbing out of BigBox, and there it is, sitting in the taskbar. Any ideas why this would be happening? It would be really great to get this plugin working seamlessly with true fullscreen, so that a sweet movie setup and sweet emulation setup can live happily side by side! TL;DR: plugin works perfectly to launch BigBox from inside Kodi, but doesn't close Kodi or bring it back to the foreground on exiting BigBox.

I had that same problem when I used true fullscreen. True fullscreen introduced all sorts of problems when trying to use other programs outside of Kodi, so I just fell back on windowed fullscreen. If you have crazy graphics resources then I wouldn't worry about loss of performance; I haven't seen any problems and I have a GeForce GTX 960, which is pretty mid-grade. YMMV though. Your other option is to try Launcher4Kodi. That actively monitors Kodi's status and forces back focus depending on certain rules you set up. I have mine set up to allow Big Box to steal focus and then when Big Box closes it will give it back to Kodi. You also might want to try the latest LaunchBox beta. You can find it in the forums.

The issue isn't performance in a graphical horsepower sense - it's that by using windowed fullscreen, you force Kodi to operate at your underlying desktop resolution and refresh rate. This means that (for example) 24p movies which would play with perfect sync on a TV that supports 24p are forced to awkwardly play at (say) 60Hz, which is not an exact multiple of 24. This introduces a slight, but noticeable judder in playback as the system spreads 24 frames across 60 refreshes per second. Basically Kodi needs to run in true fullscreen to operate optimally as a media centre. Dropping to windowed fullscreen is not a good trade off in order to make a plugin work. And this is all separate, as I see it, from the issue of the plugin not actually closing Kodi like it is supposed to. I set the "Close Kodi" option to "ask", and it prompted me to close Kodi. When I clicked yes, nothing happened. A couple of other things I've turned up from further testing: 1. Advanced Launcher includes a workaround for this problem - it has the option of dropping Kodi from true fullscreen to windowed fullscreen before launching an external program. I tried this, and it works reasonably well with BigBox (but with a long-ish pause). 2. The Steam launcher plugin works perfectly with Kodi in true fullscreen, including restoring it after you exit Steam. So it is possible, and as I understand it the Steam launcher is very similar to this launcher?

caitsith01 said Thanks for this great Kodi add on - this makes LaunchBox even better. I am having a similar (but perhaps not identical) problem to a few others in this thread. Context: Windows 8.1 HTPC with stupid levels of resources (used to be my gaming rig, now repurposed) Kodi 15.1 Isengard with Steam launcher installed Latest LaunchBox (premium, obviously, for BigBox) Kodi set to run in true fullscreen - from memory windowed fullscreen is undesirable in terms of running 24p movies natively and that kind of thing, and I use Kodi extensively to watch movies where this might actually matter Issue: The launcher works perfectly from within Kodi to launch BigBox. I can see the desktop briefly as BigBox comes up, but unlike others this doesn't bother me. However, no matter what I do, when I exit BigBox Kodi is still running but minimised. I have to find my mouse and click on it to bring it back up again. Oddly (and this is why my issue might be slightly different), even if I set the option in the plugin to close Kodi, Kodi remains open. I can check this by alt-tabbing out of BigBox, and there it is, sitting in the taskbar. Any ideas why this would be happening? It would be really great to get this plugin working seamlessly with true fullscreen, so that a sweet movie setup and sweet emulation setup can live happily side by side! TL;DR: plugin works perfectly to launch BigBox from inside Kodi, but doesn't close Kodi or bring it back to the foreground on exiting BigBox.
Yep, same exact thing here, except I dont have steam or steam launcher installed and Im still using kodi helix. I can get away with fullscreen window mode though because i launch mpc-hc with madvr as an extenal player

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone. New member here. Just bought bigbox and am loving it :) I'm trying to get this to addon to work through my xbmc machine. Note I said xbmc, not kodi. Does it only work for Kodi? I'm using XBMC v13.2 (Gotham) and would rather not make the jump to Kodi if I don't have to...my Gotham build is set up exactly how I want it and don't feel like jumping through the million hoops it took to get here again. Anyways, the error I'm getting when trying to run the zip file is: Dependencies not met. Please contact Add-On author. What do you all think?