LaunchBox Community Forums

Kodi addon for launching big box?

MultipleX

That is something I using a custom Kodi skin. There are many out there. The one I'm currently using is a modified stock skin (Confluence) look, (link below) that allows you to add tabs on the main menu and name them what you want. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=212898 Syriacn

Ok Funkymoose, Sorry for the slight delay. I was having trouble replicating your issue. I had to uninstall Kodi and remove all traces and folders left before I figured it out, my previous steam.launcher.script was allowing it to work for me. I wrote it as an installer this time. Now this will work right from a clean install. This also allows it to properly uninstall. Download this file. Open Kodi and go to "System". Click on "Add-ons" Click on "Install from zip file" Find the "script.BigBox.launcher.zip" file you downloaded from the link above. Done Enjoy https://youtu.be/8IOlwRx0VJQ Everything should work, otherwise let me now. Syriacn

Syriacn said Ok Funkymoose, Sorry for the slight delay. I was having trouble replicating your issue. I had to uninstall Kodi and remove all traces and folders left before I figured it out, my previous steam.launcher.script was allowing it to work for me. I wrote it as an installer this time. Now this will work right from a clean install. This also allows it to properly uninstall. Download this file. Open Kodi and go to "System". Click on "Add-ons" Click on "Install from zip file" Find the "script.BigBox.launcher.zip" file you downloaded from the link above. Done Enjoy Everything should work, otherwise let me now. Syriacn
Hi @Syriacn, I installed the script, i uinstalled the steam launcher, and it runs perfect now. The only issue is when i closed bigbox, the kodi stayed minimized. Is from the steam addon that i had installed before, or is something else? Thanks ! Wink

MultipleX, Sorry for the late response, I've been very busy. I tried numerous times to replicate your issue and unfortunately was not successful. Try uninstall BigBox launcher, restart the computer and then reinstall it while leaving steam-launcher uninstall. Let me know if that works at all, if not I will figure this out for you. You can also look under the BigBox launcher settings. One of the first settings is "Quit Kodi?" I haven't had trouble with it on yes or no, but you could try switching that to no. Syriacn

Syriacn said MultipleX, Sorry for the late response, I've been very busy. I tried numerous times to replicate your issue and unfortunately was not successful. Try uninstall BigBox launcher, restart the computer and then reinstall it while leaving steam-launcher uninstall. Let me know if that works at all, if not I will figure this out for you. You can also look under the BigBox launcher settings. One of the first settings is "Quit Kodi?" I haven't had trouble with it on yes or no, but you could try switching that to no. Syriacn
@Syriacn, thanks for your reply, i will try and if it doesn't work, i will reinstall kodi with only the default addons, reinstall bigbox launcher and i will let you know!

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm thinking about making a video of it to advertise launching Big Box from Kodi. So I'll probably work on the video tonight and announce it within the next few days. :) Thanks again @Syriacn. I'll of course give you a shout out; let me know if you'd rather not be mentioned or if you want me to link you anywhere.

Everyone, please let me know if you find any issues, I'll fix them asap. I have tested this on 7 different versions of Kodi and 3 different OS's. Jason, thank you, and I was thinking along the same lines you were about a video. I was going to make a nice one but works got me pretty busy. I think a video would go much better with the launch. Then we/I can post it over on the Kodi forums, they will love BigBox! I don't mind my name being mentioned. Syriacn

Ok a couple of questions here does Kodi still store all of your metadata in the folders with the files because I find that to clutter up my folders in ways I don't care for. I switched over from XBMC to Plex and I have to say I just think Plex looks better (personal preference). I know that there isn't anyway to launch BigBox from Plex but couldn't I easily launch Plex from inside of BigBox or Kodi for that matter.

Jason, Jeremy is fine. But to answer your question Syriac an. DOS76, Yes Kodi still store metadata in the folders, and I sure it possible to launch Plex from Kodi, but if you like Plex why install Kodi just to launch Plex. I'm not familiar with Plex. Might just want to look into launching BigBox from Plex. Syriacn

I think you misunderstood I meant launch either Plex or Kodi from inside BigBox since I don't think you can launch BigBox from Plex (or if you can I don't know how). Also would your launcher allow to launch say the SlingBox desktop app and then you would have seamless TV, media and emulation.

Poked around a little and found something called Castor on GitHub it allows you to launch applications as channels but only on the computer running the server which is useless to me since my PMS runs on a Windows Home Server 2011 I have in the basement what I am looking for would be a way to launch BigBox locally from my Plex Home Theater program which would probably be impossible since everything on Plex relies on the server side. I would somehow need PHT to be able to launch programs on its own.

@DOS76, yeah, I don't know how that would work. I use Plex (though not extensively), but I don't know of a way to do it. @Syriacn, I just added a download for this on the downloads page, at the bottom under "Other Downloads". I did tweak a few minor things; I replaced the fanart image and changed all references to "BigBox" to be "Big Box" per the official name. Now it's video recording time. I did notice that it leaves a Steam icon in the task bar (the AutoHotkey thing it uses). Not sure how easy it would be, but it'd be good to change the icon on that since it's not really related to Steam anymore. I would think the default AutoHotkey icon would be fine. No big deal/rush on that though; it's working well as-is. :)

@Syriacn - Very cool thank you! Only little issue I am having is that if Kodi is set as full screen, not full screen window, then after Big Box is closed it doesn't return focus to Kodi and you have to manually click Kodi to open it again. It doesn't seem to make any difference if Kodi set to close in the settings of the add on either. Is there anyway around this do you know? I'm running Windows 10 BTW if that helps?

Syriacn said I have my Kodi set as full screen also, hmm I haven't came across this yet. I'll see if I can reproduces your issue. I do not have windows 10 yet.
Strange....?? I'll give it another try in a mo tonjust check I haven't missed anything obvious. **UPDATE** Just tried again with a fresh install of Kodi and the same results unfortunately and it won't give focus back to Kodi. :( I also noticed that in the add on settings regardless of whether you tell it to close Kodi or not it doesn't actually close the application but rather just switches to a new application instance and Kodi is still open, albeit minimised, the whole time. I can force it to work via an additional workaround script just wondered why it wasn't playing ball. If you need me to play around with any settings or anything I'm more than happy to and many thanks once again for the Kodi addon and for looking into this. Cheers. :)