LaunchBox Community Forums

Get your Butts and your wallets ready for the STEAAAAAM SAAAAAALE!

SentaiBrad

Their servers are obviously getting hammered because I can't even manage to login to my account at the moment. I feel like everyone's reaction is basically the same every year: "WOO CHEAP GAMES!" ... "GAHH I'M GONNA SPEND WAY TOO MUCH MONEY ON CHEAP GAMES!" A good problem to have I suppose Laugh

Finally managed to get logged in. I have 7 games in my cart but I've yet to make it through the checkout process successfully... It actually seems worse than normal to me. @DOS76 I actually think that's a fairly appropriate depiction of Steam sales hahaha EDIT: Apparently I did manage to make it through checkout because, despite them still being in my cart, it gave me the "Are you sure you want to buy these? You already own them" message this time... Purchases so far ($35.86): Jotun Subterrain Monstrum Full Bore Victor Vran CAT Interstellar Qora 35MM

I fell asleep because 15 min before the sale power went out for the workers on the road. They were fixing power lines apparently. I just woke up... this sale kind of sucks. Ever since they stopped doing flash and quick / daily sales... it seems to have gone down honestly. Or there is just so much more noise on Steam now.

Eh, most of the stuff I have interest in is in the indie scene (and there's a lot of those on sale). There are some major games that I want to pick up (Doom and DS3) but probably 85%+ of my wishlist is indie games. Now, there's some completely horrendous indie stuff on Steam, I don't think anyone can debate that - Valve has basically zero quality control - but there's quite a bit of good stuff too if you're willing to dig. Digging is basically a necessity though. The end of flash sales was primarily the result of Valve's implementation of the refund policy, in order to keep people from buying and then refunding and rebuying on a flash sale. I miss them too but I understand the reasoning.

Well making games has become so much easier. Being creative period has become so much easier in terms of the tools and the method, granted you still need to be good at what you do, but yea... there's just a lot now. My wishlist is already gigantic as is, over 750 games? Too many...

SentaiBrad said Well making games has become so much easier. Being creative period has become so much easier in terms of the tools and the method, granted you still need to be good at what you do, but yea... there's just a lot now.
Yeah that's definitely true. Unfortunately, in some cases it's too easy... asset flipping is really a thing and that's pretty disgusting to me. Thankfully a lot of this stuff never makes it through greenlight, but things do slip through the cracks. Jim Sterling summed up the issue pretty well on an episode of The Jimquisition.
SentaiBrad said My wishlist is already gigantic as is, over 750 games? Too many...
Haha, wow and I thought I was bad at about 250 in my wishlist. A few more purchases today ($11.15): D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die Party Hard Pony Island

My amount of games is also... saddening. http://steamcommunity.com/id/SentaiBrad/ Granted, lots of bundles and 5 years of being on Steam... but still. In terms of asset flipping, when it comes to my game I only use assets which I purchased from RPG Maker DLC Packs, music that was from creators who allow you to use it commercially, and other assets from forums and sites with licenses to allow me to use it commercially. It's not something visible to users per se, but same thing with scripts and code, same licensing deal. I tried REALLY hard to make sure that all my assets were commercially viable (in case I sell my game), and my credits page is as accurate as I could make it.

11 years on Steam here. "Only" around 700 games though haha.
SentaiBrad said In terms of asset flipping, when it comes to my game I only use assets which I purchased from RPG Maker DLC Packs, music that was from creators who allow you to use it commercially, and other assets from forums and sites with licenses to allow me to use it commercially. It's not something visible to users per se, but same thing with scripts and code, same licensing deal. I tried REALLY hard to make sure that all my assets were commercially viable (in case I sell my game), and my credits page is as accurate as I could make it.
Well, it's like Jim said in his video - it's not really the assets themselves that are a problem. Those things are there to be building blocks, and there's nothing wrong with that - it's when people take those premade assets (this is typically within the realm of Unity and Unreal engine assets), do little or sometimes literally nothing to alter or build on them and then just turn around and sell them like they're something they've created - like with Day Survival Begins, Field Z, and Uncrowded where it's literally just a premade Unity "game" that they've renamed and slapped up on the store. These things are supposed to be the foundation for a game...not the game itself. I used RPG Maker quite a bit many moons ago and I don't see that as the same thing at all. One thing is going to a toy store and taking a finished Lego display out of a case and saying "Look what I made" and the other is taking a bunch of individual Lego blocks and making something interesting out of them.

nmc said No one plays Battlefield?Cry
@nmc Not in quite a while, no. I used to be big into Bad Company 2... and 2142 before that haha. I play Overwatch though. I've been meaning to check if anybody here plays - I've got 3 people I play with regularly but a full group is better than partial (plus not everybody's always able to play at the same time). BF1 does look pretty good though.