LaunchBox Community Forums

N64 Emulation Revolution! Holy crap!!!

SentaiBrad

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's insta-crashing for me as well. The weird thing is that the instructions they have on the post specifically about paraLLEI aren't what I'm seeing:
When RetroArch 1.3.5 gets released Download the new RetroArch 1.3.5, go to ‘Online Updater’, go to ‘Core Updater’. From there, go to ‘Experimental’, and download Mupen64plus HW. This will download the Vulkan-enabled Mupen64plus core.
"Experimental"? I don't see anything like that in the Core Updater, but there is an N64 entry that just outright says it's paraLLEI (not "Mupen64plus HW"). I have a GTX 780 and my drivers are up to date: Video-Drivers.jpg

I've also developed a weird problem... If I start an N64 game via Launchbox, hitting F1 to pull up the Retroarch UI crashes Retroarch... The games seem to play fine but it crashes on F1. If I start Retroarch by itself, and then load the Mupen64plus core, load the game, and then hit F1? It works just fine. No idea what's going on there... I don't have any unusual command line parameters in Launchbox for it - just the normal -L "cores\mupen64plus_libretro.dll". EDIT: As a temporary workaround I've created a new emulator entry in LB for "Retroarch 1.2.2 - N64" and directed it to my 1.2.2 RA folder rather than the 1.3.5 one. And it's working as normal through LB. I suspect it's the result of changes made to 1.3.5 and or the Mupen core but for whatever reason it always crashes if I hit F1 after the game is loaded if it's launched through LB.

No, no custom menu. The menu comes up okay but only if I don't launch directly into a game via LB, and only if I'm using 1.3.5. If I just start RA, start the Mupen core, load a game, the menu comes up fine. If I launch directly into a game through LB, and try to pull up the menu, it crashes. If I do the exact same thing with 1.2.2 it works just fine. I also tried taking the Mupen core from my 1.2.2 folder (which isn't the newest one) and using it to replace the newest one in 1.3.5. It still crashes.

While selecting Vulkan caused Retroarch 1.3.4 to crash , now in 1.3.6 Vulkan works fine. That is really awesome, because of all the reduced latency stuff that comes with it. I will continue using OpenGL though, until Vulkan-compatible shaders are being released. I just like shader eye candy just too much. ;) A quick test of the new N64 paraLLel core revealed some visual glitches here and there, and apparently there seems to be no option to run games with other than the native resolution. Which isn't too surprising considering the pre-alpha status. All in all very exciting, I am really looking forward to the upcoming releases.

IlhanK said While selecting Vulkan caused Retroarch 1.3.4 to crash , now in 1.3.6 Vulkan works fine. That is really awesome, because of all the reduced latency stuff that comes with it. I will continue using OpenGL though, until Vulkan-compatible shaders are being released. I just like shader eye candy just too much. ;) A quick test of the new N64 paraLLel core revealed some visual glitches here and there, and apparently there seems to be no option to run games with other than the native resolution. Which isn't too surprising considering the pre-alpha status. All in all very exciting, I am really looking forward to the upcoming releases.
Did you change the video option to Vulkan?

No, it's the same here. Can't say as I'm too impressed at the moment. Performance seems to be... not exactly amazing, and a number of games that were problematic for Mupen seem to still be an issue for Parallel; and there are some that seem to be completely messed up like Banjo Kazooie. It seems extremely preliminary to me.

SentaiBrad said Did you change the video option to Vulkan?
Well, on a closer look: Vulkan 1.3.4 nestopia_libretro.dll -> Crash mupen64plus_libretro.dll -> Crash reicast_libretro.dll -> Crash picodrive_libretro.dll -> Crash parallel_libretro.dll -> n/a mednafen_psx_libretro.dll -> Crash mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll -> Crash snes9x_next_libretro.dll -> Crash yabause_libretro.dll -> Crash Vulkan 1.3.6 nestopia_libretro.dll -> Works mupen64plus_libretro.dll -> Crash reicast_libretro.dll -> Crash picodrive_libretro.dll -> Works parallel_libretro.dll -> Works mednafen_psx_libretro.dll -> Crash mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.dll -> Crash snes9x_next_libretro.dll -> Works yabause_libretro.dll -> Works