LaunchBox Community Forums

Currently Doing New Platform Logos

Maddoc1007

I am currently doing new platform images for myself having just downloaded and started using GIMP tonight, if people are interested and would like me to upload here as i get through all the platforms let me know. They will be in non see through and 60% opacity see image of what they look like in BigBox and a few samples of ones ive done tonight. BigBox.jpg 60% opacity in BigBox. Non Opague: Arcade-Clear-Logo.pngAtari-5200-Clear-Logo.pngAtari-7800-Clear-Logo.pngAtari-Jaguar-Clear-Logo.pngAtari-Lynx-Clear-Logo.pngColecoVision-Clear-Logo.pngCrystal-System-Clear-Logo.pngMedia-Centre-Clear-Logo-Clear-Logo.png
  • Like 1

I do have extensive knowledge on Photoshop, so if you need any help just ask. If you have Steam I can add you if that makes things easier. I am also thinking about doing something like this with some of the more well known platforms but with video. "Platform Trailers" if you will.

Oh random tip that I thought about. When working with higher quality materials, make sure that Anti Aliasing is turned off. I am unsure if there is an option when working with stuff in GIMP for it, but it will make your lines more clean and provide less fuzzy edges in some respects.

Nice designs! Here are some great images that you might find useful, with transparent PNG available for most: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Evan-Amos And lots of vector logos, including many video game consoles: http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/ A few suggestions: I don't know if GIMP has a pen tool like Photoshop, but if it does, it's worth looking into. It's a great way to create vector masks and cut images out of backgrounds cleanly. Also, some of the console/handheld images have distorted aspect ratios (too squashed top-to-bottom or left-to-right). While this helps them fill the background circle more fully, to me it makes some of them look weird, like the Lynx and the ColecoVision.

@garbanzo thank you for the links great pngs for the consoles the ones i was using were from here, and also for the advice as i only started using GIMP yesterday but learned the pen tool quickly today and a few more things as well lol see revised image for the CrystalSystem/Lync/ColecoVision Crystal-System-Clear-Logo-1.pngAtari-Lynx-Clear-Logo-1.pngColecoVision-Clear-Logo-1.png 60 percent opacity Crystal-System-Clear-Logo-60-Opacity-1.pngAtari-Lynx-Clear-Logo-60-Opacity-1.pngColecoVision-Clear-Logo-60-Opacity-1.png
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...