LaunchBox Community Forums

Cool Custom Rigs seen at Computex 2015

CadetStimpy

As of late, my favorite PCs are massively powerful, tiny, and silent. Thankfully the Intel Haswell CPUs finally made that possible in the last few years. I built mine a couple years ago (though I did upgrade my video card recently), but it fits behind my monitor and no one even knows it's there. Runs GTA V on max beautifully. ;)

My favorite builds are AMD based builds, personally. I love the power to dollar ratio. I know that Intel and Nvidia out perform, but if you can build a rig close enough to the performance and save a ton of money, why not. You can used the money saved for a 4k monitor, or speakers, or pay for the groceries for a few weeks. But that is me, I have always been a supporter of the so called underdog, in many things.

Yeah, I like that power to dollar ratio as well, absolutely. I was an AMD guy for a long time too. What unfortunately broke me away from AMD had little to do with AMD. At one point back I bought three AMD motherboards in a row, three different models from different companies, Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte. Every single motherboard I bought had chipset issues. Drivers didn't work, network connections would randomly disappear in Windows, etc. Eventually I did some research and found serious issues with pretty much every decent chipset for that generation of AMD CPUs, and jumped the boat. I miss the power to dollar ratio, but thankfully the stability has been great since my jump to Intel.

ps4isthefuture said My favorite builds are AMD based builds, personally. I love the power to dollar ratio. I know that Intel and Nvidia out perform, but if you can build a rig close enough to the performance and save a ton of money, why not. You can used the money saved for a 4k monitor, or speakers, or pay for the groceries for a few weeks. But that is me, I have always been a supporter of the so called underdog, in many things.
Yeah, ps4isthefuture, I like AMD as well, and for the same reason (the power to price ratio). Part of it may also be related to my employment history. Way back, when I worked for DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation), they sold the 64-bit Alpha Chip to Intel. It took them 10 years to get it going. Lame! Here's another one of my pretty useless, only somewhat related to this topic, trinkets (it was a display for marketing, and has a way to prop 'em up all at once - but I was too lazy to do that Smile) - (photos tilted to keep my reflection out): Alpha-Chip-1.jpgAlpha-Chip-2.jpgAlpha-Chip-3.jpgGenuine-Alpha-Chip.jpg Anyway, for now, I'm stickin' with the underdog (AMD). I'm currently runnin' an AMD FX-8350 (4GHz/8-Core) CPU. I recently snagged two AMD Sapphire Tri-X R9 290X video cards off Amazon for $270/ea (after a $20 mail-in rebate, per card). Currently, the same card on Amazon is $700 (are you friggin' kiddin' me???). The only thing is, I need a full-sized tower case, as my current case is 'mid-sized', and the foot-long cards don't fit in it (by about 0.5"/13mm). Frown Oh well, I want a case that has better cable-routing options, anyway. I'm lookin' at a Corsair Graphite Series 760T Full Tower Windowed Case - White, but if anyone cares to suggest something else, I'm receptive to change. I've been building my own systems for years, but I want to go liquid-cooled this time around. If anyone has any suggestions and/or links to liquid-cooling build tutorials, I'm 'all ears'. I'm a bit apprehensive about a liquid-cooled build, but I like to believe "I'm an old dog that can learn new tricks". Smile P.S. I'm lookin' forward to runnin' PCMark 8 on my yet to be built system, to see the results. P.S. #2 Hmmm... I'm gettin' hungry, so it may be time to order a pizza! Laugh

Wow! Very cool Stimpy. I'm jealous of that experience. I've done pretty well in the software world but of course nothing even close to that cool hardware-wise. It'd be really neat to learn those ropes. I'm a big fan of Corsair, so I trust that case would serve you well. I really love my Thermaltake Soprano, but it serves a slightly different purpose (it's really quiet running fans, but doesn't have a side window to show anything off). Every few years I think about going liquid cooled and then chicken out. ;)

I have 162 computers builds under my belt but the last 60 or so have been AMD. I bailed on Intel after a few builds using P4 478 socket 2.4GHZ with hyper-thread, fancy for emulating a second core on a single core....I think. Cool idea but it ran very hot and the system fans were extremely loud. But to each their own, just enjoy life.

ps4isthefuture said I have 162 computers builds under my belt but the last 60 or so have been AMD.
Whoa, that's an impressive numbers of PC builds, ps4isthefuture! I've probably done that many OS/Software builds, but not even a tenth of that for hardware builds.

Cadet Stimpy said
ps4isthefuture said I have 162 computers builds under my belt but the last 60 or so have been AMD.
Whoa, that's an impressive numbers of PC builds, ps4isthefuture! I've probably done that many OS/Software builds, but not even a tenth of that for hardware builds.
See, to me your software/os builds are more impressive. Building a pc is a snap, the most I built at one time was 4. Hardware fully assembled about 3 1/2 hours, only takes around 45 mins to 1 hour per a computer with doing all the preliminary component power-up test and neatly routing and hiding the cables and wires. Otherwise it could take 15 mins just because of opening all the packaging. Installation of the OS, drivers, software, and updates are the time consumer, so thoses 4 PCs were ready for delivery about 12 hours later. But I let them all do a burn-in over night running bench marks to run the CPU high and hot to make sure the system was stable for the customers. Lately PCs are harder for me to sell though. Everyone wants a low end laptop out here, I have to persuade them why to have a PC as a Media computer vs a laptop. But the crowd here is a lot older and the computer is something fairly new. Most of the guys out here are in their 60s and 70s and back in the day didn't use computers because they thought it was not going to last long, it was a fad. So they have only got brave to really use a computer in the last 3 - 5 years. Even one guy I know worked for IBM in the mid 1970s when everything was still tape, and he doesn't know anything about a modern computer other than the internet, email, and youtube.

Here I can make a great profit and stay competitive against the big boys "here". Repairs are difficult because the locals work for so little, I only get work from people who insist to have someone that can speak English work on their computer. But you only need about $1000 a month to live ok here so that is a plus....and it never snows, lol.

Jason Carr said Never snows. The biggest benefit ever. I can vouch for that, having grown up in Illinois (I now live in sunny California).
Yup, I fully understand, a Michigan boy here. Really super cold and tons and tons of snow and ice. Just the thought now made me shiver and it's 35C (95F) right now. I don't ever use the air here and everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I love it. Now I have to wear a heavy jacket once the temp gets below 27 - 26C (81 - 79F). If I were to go back I would die anytime other than July and Aug. I have to admit that I miss the snow for the Thanksgiving - New Year's period....only.

Ughh...looks like I'm getting telltale signs that it may be time to do some computer upgrades in the some time near future. Like I just got The Witcher 3, and it runs ok .... on low and everything off, but still some big lag between audio and video during talking scenes. Mortal Kombat is now working tons better after a recent patch but everything has to be on low and everything off. So this is suggesting to me if I want to play new games say 4Q this year I will need to at least upgrade my GFX card. Then soon after my motherboard and CPU. My GFX card has served very well over the last 3 years and it was out for a while then and was about $100. Powercolor AMD HD 6670 2GB DDR3 Thinking of the Sapphire R9 - 270X 4GB GDDR5 if I can find it out here around the $200 mark. Can't order from Newegg because of the 200% import tax here. My current CPU is AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHZ 4-core Would love to get the AMD FX-9590 4.7GHZ 8-core Then I must replace my motherboard because right now it's a FM2 chipset and I will need a AM3+ chipset for that processor. Good thing my Cooler Master V6 heat sink is still compatible. Please do not try to persuade me to go Nvidia or Intel. Nvidia I have never cared for...for real no reason, just that feeling I have. And I know Intel out preforms AMD CPUs and that's fine, I'm not looking for bragging rights, AMD has always exceeded my performance needs for what I do. Also the FX-9590 come stock with a liquid cooling system (hmmm guess I won't need that heat sink) and is $80 less than the Intel 4790K. Anyway some guys are Chevy and some are Ford you know, lol. I would like to upgrade my RAM, my system can hold 64GB but I have never been over 50% used now. But I wouldn't mind going from 8GB to 16GB not for the use of 8GB more but for use of 4 channels instead of 2 channels now, widen that freeway and let more cars throughLaugh

Maddoc1007 said hi ps4 why not get more memory and create a ramdisk for a particular game you have problems running some gamers swear it boost game speed by 50% plus
yea, but the ones giving me issues are also 30GB+ games, so I would have to go up to 64GB and with 32GB of Kingston DDR3 1866 at $430 so $860 for both I'm going to say that is not a viable option (that is more than I built this current PC for including monitor, speakers, and all the bits). Thanks for the suggestion though.Wink Crazy to think how affordable computer have become, yes so things are still expensive but only the cutting edge not your normal run of the mill parts. My first computer I bought in 1999 cost me $2000, the only thing cutting edge on it was it had a 20GB HDD, lol. It was an HP, Celeron 466MHZ, 128MB SDRAM, 4x write 8x read CD-R, and came with a 15" CRT (round not flat glass) but I bought the 17" CRT for and extra $300. I'm sure a few people on here have had more expensive computers but from much earlier than I. But it was my first computer and that is where I learned how to build them.