LaunchBox Community Forums

Daphne Laser Disc emulator - a comprehensive tutorial

CADScott

On 8/28/2018 at 6:48 PM, CaptainJ said:

Hi guys, was there ever an answer to this question that ETAPRIME asked? I have everything set up perfectly, and all my games work fine in Launchbox except for road blaster and galaxy ranger which gives me the above message. They both work fine in the Daphne loader, would anyone know why just these two are giving me problems?

I have them all working.  I deviated from the tutorial a bit, though - did things a little differently in the batch file.  But can probably help.

What does your daphne_log.txt file say?

Edited by DrewMan70

Below is my log, and like I said this is only happening with Galaxy Ranger and Road Blaster through launch box. The rest of the games work 100% in Launchbox and Galaxy Ranger and Road Blaster works 100% in Daphne Loader (as well as the other games). How do I get those two to run in Launchbox?

--DAPHNE version 1.0.12
--Command line is: Daphne.exe galaxyr vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile ..\..\Emulators\Daphne\vldp\galaxyr\galaxyr.txt 
--CPU : GenuineIntel 2000 MHz || Mem : 2048 megs
--OS : Windows NT Derivative || Video : Intel(R) HD Graphics
--OpenGL: Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: MMX
--Line Blending Function: MMX
--Audio Mixing Function: MMX
ERROR: Unknown game type specified : galaxyr
Bad command line or initialization problem (see daphne_log.txt for details). 
To run DAPHNE, you must specify which game to run and which laserdisc player you are using. 
For example, try 'daphne lair noldp' to run Dragon's Lair in testing mode.

Galaxyr is not a game it is galaxy.zip, unless you have a different version?  roadblsters is roadblaster.zip so your command line should be

Daphne.exe galaxy vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile ..\..\Emulators\Daphne\vldp\galaxyr\galaxyr.txt

you would not have to rename your text file.

for instance this is what I use and it works

Daphne.exe galaxy vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile ..\..\Games\Daphne\galaxy\galaxy.txt

and

Daphne.exe roadblaster vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile Z:\VideoGames\Games\Daphne\roadblaster\roadblaster.txt

Edited by Aevans0001

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. I’ve just finished watching ETA prime’s Daphne tutorial but can’t go past the section where he refers to downloading the daphne Downloader. Three files that are to be places into the Daphne emulator folder, to get the Daphne games that are legally available to download. 

So really I’m stuck, can anyone point me in the right direction to get these three files.

At 1.02 he mentions the files I talk about. I assume I need these for the Downloader to work?

Any help would be appreciated! ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 1:19 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Here is my updated guide on setting up Daphne to work in Launchbox to reflect the changes made on importing Windows games.

It may not be an elegant solution but it is simple and it works as long as you have your games loading through the DaphneLoader.exe.

Step 1) Make a batch file for each game, call the batch file whatever you like. I made these batch files right in the directory which contains the daphne.exe

Step 2) This step will be repeated for each game. Open your DaphneLoader.exe and for each game you have and want to import into Launchbox  click the Configure button and go to the Advanced tab. The bottom drop down menu "Display command line", set this to Enabled, click apply and ok. Now when you start that game it is going to popup with a bunch of text, select it all and copy. The game will launch but just exit back out.

Step 3) Open the batch file you created for the game in notepad you just copied the command line information from and paste it in and save.

Step 4) Drag the bat file into Launchbox and put into whatever platform you choose. I use the platform Daphne. When the importer asks "What type of file this is ?" Choose "None of the above".

Now you can go back into each game and reverse Step 2 to disable "Display command line"

When you launch a game from Launchbox if you get an error message repeat Step 5 just to double check it.

Hello Everyone.  I am trying to get Daphne to work from Launchbox/Bigbox.  I am specifically talking about the purchase games Dragons Lair, DL 2 and Space Ace.  I have all three of these games, I can get them to work with Daphne alone.  I try to create the bat files listed above and I get errors consistently(missing files, cannot load ROM flies, etc).  I have put the bat files in the Daphne root.  Since the last tutorials both Launchbox and Daphne have changed a bit.  Is there a recent tutorial on how to get this fine emulator to run form launchbox/bigbox?

• 2 weeks later...

@rgreen2002 Ok so you have the files working in daphne?  Do you know the command line to run those games automatically?

for instance here is my command line

daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile "D:\Emulators\Daphne v1.0-2.2.11 (Customized)\framefile\lair.txt" -blank_searches -homedir "Z:\Emulators\Daphne (Customized)" -useoverlaysb 1 -bank 0 11001000 -bank 1 00000010 -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -x 640 -y 480 

now copy that into a new text file

save that file as DLair.bat or something similiar.  

Go into launchbox and add rom file but no emulator.  make it add the batch file you created.  This should add it

Aevans0001

Thanks for the reply.  So I did that.  I went into advanced options for DL and chose to enable the "display command line"  so that I could copy the launcher and put it in a notepad file.  I then saved that file as a .bat file.  The first time I ran that bat file, it opened the game but after that, it never worked.  It also never worked for Space Ace or DL 2.  Getting it into launch box is another point I don't exactly understand.  Launchbox is new to me so I am not as savvy on its use... but I would like to be!

add this to the top of your bat file

Letter of drive

example D?

CD "(name of directory to daphne)"

don't forget quotes

example cd "emulators\daphne\"

So my bat file would be

d:
cd "Emulators\Daphne v1.0-2.2.11 (Customized)"

daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile "D:\Emulators\Daphne v1.0-2.2.11 (Customized)\framefile\lair.txt" -blank_searches -homedir "Z:\Emulators\Daphne (Customized)" -useoverlaysb 1 -bank 0 11001000 -bank 1 00000010 -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -x 640 -y 480 

then save that as Dlair.bat.  If that works post back to here then I will give step by step instructions

• 2 weeks later...

Aevans0001,

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the delay, I had to go out of town for a short while...

OK so here is what I tried

c:
cd "C:\Users\rgree\LaunchBox\Emulators\Daphne"

daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile C:/Users/rgree/LaunchBox/Emulators/Daphne/vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Users\rgree\LaunchBox\Emulators\Daphne -bank 0 11011001 -bank 1 00100111 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 

and I got this error:

daphne.thumb.jpg.71c428db7c6b7e4d0efa1e68d0711e38.jpg

my original bat file:

daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile C:/Users/rgree/LaunchBox/Emulators/Daphne/vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Users\rgree\LaunchBox\Emulators\Daphne -bank 0 11011001 -bank 1 00100111 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 

Not exactly sure why it isn't working.  This original bat now won't even open the file or get an error...

Running through Daphne works fine.

I am sure this is a simple thing and my noob level is showing here...?

PS: A copy of the logfile:

--DAPHNE version 1.0.12
--Command line is: daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile C:/Users/rgree/LaunchBox/Emulators/Daphne/vldp_dl/lair/lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Users\rgree\LaunchBox\Emulators\Daphne -bank 0 11011001 -bank 1 00100111 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 
--CPU : GenuineIntel 2000 MHz || Mem : 2048 megs
--OS : Windows NT Derivative || Video : Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
--OpenGL: Compiled In
--RGB2YUV Function: MMX
--Line Blending Function: MMX
--Audio Mixing Function: MMX
Setting alternate home dir:
C:\Users\rgree\LaunchBox\Emulators\Daphne
Setting sound buffer size to 2048
Setting screen width to 640
Setting screen height to 480
Set 640x480 at 32 bpp with flags: 80000001
Initializing sound system ... 
GI Sound chip initialized at 2000000 Hz
No joysticks detected
Remapping input ...
Loading ./roms/lair/dl_f2_u1.bin ... 0 bytes read into memory
ROM dl_f2_u1.bin couldn't be found in roms/lair/, or in ./roms/lair.zip
Could not load ROM images! You must supply these.
Shutting down sound system...
Shutting down video display...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe I’m being dumb, but is there a way to set up Launchbox to run a certain rom of a daphne game? For example, using the bat setup from the ETAPRIME video, when I load Dragon’s Lair it always loads the standard rom. Is there a way to select which rom to load, or is there a way maybe to add the other rom (for example, the enhanced dragon’s lair rom with extra footage enabled) as another entry? 

Ok so I use rocket launcher so my actual setup is different but here is the setup to use launchbox, Daphne, and Cliff hanger.  I chose Cliff because I am not sure if talking about Lair is allowed.

1.  Make sure yur games work in daphneloader.exe

2. add a game to Launchbox and make the game to point to daphne.exe

730876592_daphne-6.thumb.png.373a0db7c560c9469e3e56e97e45d334.png

3. make sure and turn off emulator in launchbox

712195984_Daphne-7.thumb.png.d7b2ab243f787a55a373708147fd9b2b.png

4. Load daphneloader.exe

5.  Click on game then click on configure

6. Set your game preferences

7. Click on advance tab and and enable display command line

808660465_daphne-5.thumb.png.c90461b873842c0a54a446e1591bcd2f.png

8.   exit configure and load game, you will now see this screen

769519207_daphne-3.thumb.png.f85c42a0cefd981bd24e7f1899065c2a.png

9. Click copy to clipboard and paste this information to launchbox edit game screen as shown below.

1729405915_daphne-4.thumb.png.68e5cdf273ae9896f793e996a58228ed.png10.  if you notice I delete daphne.exe from the application command line parameters.  Now simply load the game!

If you have any other questions let me know.  If you would like to know how to setup rocketlauncher with Daphne also let me know.

Edited by Aevans0001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aevans0001 said:

Ok so I use rocket launcher so my actual setup is different but here is the setup to use launchbox, Daphne, and Cliff hanger.  I chose Cliff because I am not sure if talking about Lair is allowed.

1.  Make sure yur games work in daphneloader.exe

2. add a game to Launchbox and make the game to point to daphne.exe

730876592_daphne-6.thumb.png.373a0db7c560c9469e3e56e97e45d334.png

3. make sure and turn off emulator in launchbox

712195984_Daphne-7.thumb.png.d7b2ab243f787a55a373708147fd9b2b.png

4. Load daphneloader.exe

5.  Click on game then click on configure

6. Set your game preferences

7. Click on advance tab and and enable display command line

808660465_daphne-5.thumb.png.c90461b873842c0a54a446e1591bcd2f.png

8.   exit configure and load game, you will now see this screen

769519207_daphne-3.thumb.png.f85c42a0cefd981bd24e7f1899065c2a.png

9. Click copy to clipboard and paste this information to launchbox edit game screen as shown below.

1729405915_daphne-4.thumb.png.68e5cdf273ae9896f793e996a58228ed.png10.  if you notice I delete daphne.exe from the application command line parameters.  Now simply load the game!

If you have any other questions let me know.  If you would like to know how to setup rocketlauncher with Daphne also let me know.

I figured out another solution, but much thanks! What I did is copy the files in my lair folder (m2v, ogg, txt frame file) into a new folder, and I named the folder after the rom I wanted to run ( in this example, those files were copied to a folder named dle21). Then, I also renamed my txt frame file to match the rom name as well (so dle21.txt in this case). Then, I added  the new txt file as a separate rom under my daphne category in launchbox. Again, I'm following the ETAPrime video where he added daphne roms using the frame files and a bat file to run the emulator. This process worked for getting dragon's lair enhanced working, and it worked for the space ace enhanced rom (sae) as well using the same process. 

If you're good as syslinking files you can probably save some memory syslinking the video and audio files but I just copied them over instead. 

• 1 month later...