LaunchBox Community Forums

Daphne Laser Disc emulator - a comprehensive tutorial

CADScott

Daphne was free and came with 12 or so games that were part of abandonware.  Then support was added for American Laser games that could be purchased.  The only games I was looking to add was Mad Dog and Time Travelor.  But it turned out they were not the original from the arcade.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is my updated guide on setting up Daphne to work in Launchbox to reflect the changes made on importing Windows games.

It may not be an elegant solution but it is simple and it works as long as you have your games loading through the DaphneLoader.exe.

Step 1) Make a batch file for each game, call the batch file whatever you like. I made these batch files right in the directory which contains the daphne.exe

Step 2) This step will be repeated for each game. Open your DaphneLoader.exe and for each game you have and want to import into Launchbox  click the Configure button and go to the Advanced tab. The bottom drop down menu "Display command line", set this to Enabled, click apply and ok. Now when you start that game it is going to popup with a bunch of text, select it all and copy. The game will launch but just exit back out.

Step 3) Open the batch file you created for the game in notepad you just copied the command line information from and paste it in and save.

Step 4) Drag the bat file into Launchbox and put into whatever platform you choose. I use the platform Daphne. When the importer asks "What type of file this is ?" Choose "None of the above".

Now you can go back into each game and reverse Step 2 to disable "Display command line"

When you launch a game from Launchbox if you get an error message repeat Step 5 just to double check it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  I've got Daphne up and running with all the games and Singe which is fantastic.  Everything works through Launchbox perfectly and I'm using xpadder for my xbox 360 controllers no problem.  However, when I try to start Dragon's Lair through BigBox I get no sound.  When I exit I also have no sound on BigBox where I had sound before and none of my other games have sound until I restart.  Has anyone else experienced this?

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

Hi.  I've got Daphne up and running with all the games and Singe which is fantastic.  Everything works through Launchbox perfectly and I'm using xpadder for my xbox 360 controllers no problem.  However, when I try to start Dragon's Lair through BigBox I get no sound.  When I exit I also have no sound on BigBox where I had sound before and none of my other games have sound until I restart.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm not familiar with this emulator, but it sounds like that specific game is changing your audio device in windows, hence why no audio when you quit. Are there options in the emulator to specify the sound device?

I recall audio issues about 10 years ago and they are specific to the emulator.  Sometimes when exiting games the audio driver crashes and logging out or reboot is the only resolution.   Check the Daphne forums.  Nothing to do with launchbox 

3 hours ago, Richie said:

Thanks for the super quick replies, I will do some more checking.  The games work fine in Launchbox, it is just BigBox I'm having issues with the sound on this emulator.

Richie, I wonder if you may have something going on with your system. As of right now, I rarely use Big Box, but I just went in and played a round of Dragon's Lair and for me I had sound all the way through. I know this isn't any help, other than letting you know it does work and does run correctly. What I can tell you is the folks here in the forum are amazing at helping to figure out your problems you may be having. I had a heck of a time getting Daphne and Singe up and running, but they patiently worked with me until I was able to get it up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Got this working!  Turns out, for my machine anyway, if you play a game in full screen under a different resolution from native it throws the sound out.  In my batch file I had to set resolution to 1920 x 1080 and the sound started working!  Hope this helps someone!

• 5 months later...
On 3/15/2017 at 8:19 PM, ETAPRIME said:

Hey guys i have tried everything to get this up and running. 

Everything works fine in Daphne but i can not start the games with launchbox.

Daphne error.png

Hi guys, was there ever an answer to this question that ETAPRIME asked? I have everything set up perfectly, and all my games work fine in Launchbox except for road blaster and galaxy ranger which gives me the above message. They both work fine in the Daphne loader, would anyone know why just these two are giving me problems?