LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox Big Box and videos for games

samfisher5986

I saw a video of Launchbox Big Box and thought it looked amazing. The only thing I can't figure out is where do the videos come from? Do you have to add them manually or are they added from a database? Unfortunately I can't see how it all works since I don't have premium as videos are quite an important feature for me. Thanks

Hi @samfisher5986, welcome. The videos from my example video are from the EmuMovies collection (emumovies.com). It's not free, but EmuMovies makes it really easy to automatically download videos for your all your games. I'm in the process of working with EmuMovies to see if we can get the videos freely accessible for LaunchBox users, or if we should look into other options. Right now, LaunchBox in itself does not automatically grab videos for you.

Jason Carr said Hi @samfisher5986, welcome. The videos from my example video are from the EmuMovies collection (emumovies.com). It's not free, but EmuMovies makes it really easy to automatically download videos for your all your games. I'm in the process of working with EmuMovies to see if we can get the videos freely accessible for LaunchBox users, or if we should look into other options. Right now, LaunchBox in itself does not automatically grab videos for you.
Oh ok thanks for the reply. Having something automatic would be amazing. I've become very burnt out trying to maintain hyperspin so I gave up on that.

firecraft said how the video display on the launchbox ? I have video of my games from emumovie but I dont found how I make it display on my launchbox games menu ><
All you have to do is make sure the movie file is the same as 1 the game name in lb 2 the file name Then copy the video to the video dir of that system in launch box. emu movies is great and not to expansive tho I'm trying to make a few of my own for games that are missing

just tested and vids are the way to go ,,for my arcade cabinet very nice... i think ill be making my own vids.....lot of work but a lot of satisfaction im to picky and want certain scenes from each game to be in the vid.. thanks for the info

I'm still waiting to see if entering in YouTube links to stream the video becomes a thing people would want too (this would save on needing to download all the video and take up the Hard Drive space) and selfishly see if anyone uses the videos on my RNG series. I .... really need to get back to making videos. Edit: And for the record to anyone who does ever watch my videos, as long as you're not downloading them and stealing them you're more than welcome to link to them and use them if you need to, just let me know and give me a link. If it gets views on an external site, I can know through my analytics anyways, so there is really no use hiding the fact.

Hi, I'm using big box, and everythings going great so far. But I couldn't get the videos to work. It shows an option inside the big box to play/stop the video, but it doesn't play, manual or automatic. I guess it's all correct (paths, same filenames...). What could be wrong? The videos are in .flv, I don't know if it affects anything.

Hi @leocrv and @wraslor. Big Box uses the Windows built-in media player functionality, which supports the same formats as Windows Media Player. That means that if WMP plays it, Big Box will. By default, WMP will not play flv files but I believe if you install a codec it will. I've had good luck with codec packs in the past, such as this one: http://shark007.net/index.html I have not reviewed that download lately though, so be careful about adware, etc.

You have to be careful for adware with every thing you download otherwise your browser will be high jacked you will end up with 50 toolbars and BS pop ups will cripple your computer trust me I know because I've had to fix my family members computers quite a few times. Free software is a necessary risk but if you know what you are doing you can avoid bad things from happening (always check the custom install box and then uncheck all the options) the reset Firefox option under troubleshooting Information usually fixes most issues but there are some tricky things out there Revo Uninstaller is good for problem items and MalwareBytes is also a real help.

When installing new software i would advise people to use Unchecky it is brilliant software with a very small footprint and works extremly well i have been using it now for a very long time it stops adware and toolbars from being downloaded onto computer even hidden toolbars that comes wrapped up in some software see link and check it out http://unchecky.com/ it does do what it states and i think all computers should have it installed well that's my twopence anyway lol.

• 9 months later...
SentaiBrad said I'm still waiting to see if entering in YouTube links to stream the video becomes a thing people would want too (this would save on needing to download all the video and take up the Hard Drive space) and selfishly see if anyone uses the videos on my RNG series. I .... really need to get back to making videos. Edit: And for the record to anyone who does ever watch my videos, as long as you're not downloading them and stealing them you're more than welcome to link to them and use them if you need to, just let me know and give me a link. If it gets views on an external site, I can know through my analytics anyways, so there is really no use hiding the fact.
+1, I think being able to link to YouTube videos is a great way to go. Saves space and it's free!

• 1 year later...
On 15.6.2016 at 3:34 PM, SentaiBrad said:

Unfortunetly I've come to learn it's a lot harder than it seems.

I'm wondering if you managed to stream your videos finally :)

I'm also really interested in streaming them rather than storing on my harddisk