LaunchBox Community Forums

A Lean Mame Collection?

dmaker

Does anyone know of a leaner collection of Mame roms that can be used with Mame32gui? The one I obtained has like 1,500 or so roms. I did a massive scrape, including emumovie content, and it's great. Quite a few of them scraped with both snaps, movies, description, etc. But quite a few did not. It makes my LB screen look messy with all those squares with no image and, in some cases, no metadata at all. The vast majority of these, I'll probably not play. But the virtual museum aspect of it is pretty cool to browse. But for the, probably a couple of hundred, ones that did not scrape, they become a huge chore to remove afterwards. Is there a better way to do this? Perhaps find a smaller rom collection that does not have every obscure game ever made, or has fewer roms that are less likely to work or scrape? Thanks

Not really, the rom sets are the rom sets. You can check more boxes during the import process, but that will still leave you with a lot of games. If you want to be able to fill in more images, I would suggest getting something like this: http://www.progettosnaps.net/flyers/ Drop that in your Arcade -> Front images folder and restart LaunchBox. It SHOULD fill in more images.

I personally just try to find my own images for missing games but that is an arduous task when its a lot of games. If you only got 1500 games you already have a scaled back version mine is around 3,500 and that is with excluding all clones hacks bootlegs and non-working games.

Wow! You guys are in Mame's Premier Division. I've got a handpicked collection of just over 100 games. My Mame roms folder is 1.8 GB, 390 MB of which is down to three CHDs. I don't bother with clones as a rule apart from the one that allows me to play Alligator Hunt.

Personally I have a full mame romset just using MameUI on its own but for within Launchbox I have a couple of hundred games pulled out into a separate folder to keep it streamlined. I'll use the full MameUI for trying out games and when I find one I really like I will pull a copy of the roms out to the favourites for Launchbox.