LaunchBox Community Forums

Zombeaver's Platform Clear Logos

Zombeaver

CriticalCid said That’s why I use either very simple, dark or black&white backgrounds for my platforms.
Yeah, I'm thinking they'll have to be somewhat simple to keep from clashing too much. Black and white is probably a good call too.
CriticalCid said My post was just a generally statement how I feel about video backgrounds and not an additional request for you to great some background images. I’m more interested to see a full set of your logos for all the systems I use first ;)
Oh yeah, I understand. Getting a feel for what to prioritize for logos going forward is the primary thing on the agenda once I get the pack out. I've already got everything in my own library covered so it's kinda just whatever people need at this point. If there's some platforms in particular that you're looking for, I'm all ears.
alexis524 said zomb, awesome work as usual! I love the Skyrim reference in your Windows logo and the third Gameboy logo you posted just above is hella sweet! Thanks for creating and sharing.
Thanks! I'm glad somebody likes the Gameboy filter, that was actually a bit tricky. Gameboy screens are not black and white in reality - they're actually more of a dark-green (black) and yellow-green (white). I think I got it a bit too dark honestly, but eh, it was mostly just an experiment.

Right, but the problem is that you'll see very little of that in reality in Big Box. The right side is covered in the platform banner, platform description, favorites and recent lists and the left side is covered in clear logos. I'm not completely opposed to it, it's just that it'll probably have to be really simple looking. You had asked for something in a similar style to these logos and I just think it'll clash too much or be too busy if I were to do that. I probably wouldn't even use characters like in your examples. I'm thinking something along the lines of a simple pattern and a really large "stamp" of the name of the platform; you wouldn't really be able to read it (because you wouldn't be able to see all of it) but could figure it out based on context.

The opening post has been updated with download links. Let me know if you have any issues or questions. The "Easy" version install instructions sound more complicated than they really are. The whole process takes about 5 seconds. I just wanted to be thorough Wink

Zombeaver said
CriticalCid said My post was just a generally statement how I feel about video backgrounds and not an additional request for you to great some background images. I’m more interested to see a full set of your logos for all the systems I use first ;)
Oh yeah, I understand. Getting a feel for what to prioritize for logos going forward is the primary thing on the agenda once I get the pack out. I've already got everything in my own library covered so it's kinda just whatever people need at this point. If there's some platforms in particular that you're looking for, I'm all ears.
Oh boy, there are way too many systems I would want. If you don't mind I will just post my list of all systems I already have added or plan to add to my LaunchBox setup. Of course I have removed all the systems you already did. I know that these are way too many systems and you probably won’t have the time or mood to do all of them. So just work on whatever you feel like to, I’ll be happy with anything from this list. Corresponding platform banners would be appreciated as well :)
Spoiler
Atari 5200 Atari 7800 Atari Jaguar Atari Lynx Atari ST Bandai WonderSwan Bandai WonderSwan Color Capcom Play System III Cave ColecoVision Commodore Amiga Commodore Amiga CD32 Commodore CDTV Daphne GCE Vectrex IGS PolyGame Master (PGM) Mattel Intellivision Microsoft MSX Microsoft MSX2 Microsoft Windows 3.x NEC PC Engine NEC PC Engine-CD NEC PC-FX NEC SuperGrafx NEC TurboGrafx-16 NEC TurboGrafx-CD Namco System 22 Nintendo DS Nintendo Famicom Nintendo Famicom Disk System Nintendo Game Boy Color Nintendo Satellaview Nintendo Super Famicom Nintendo Virtual Boy Nintendo Wii Nintendo Wii U Nintendo WiiWare Philips CD-i SNK Neo Geo CD SNK Neo Geo Pocket SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color Sammy Atomiswave Sega 32X Sega Game Gear Sega Hikaru Sega Model 3 Sega Naomi Sega SC-3000 Sega SG-1000 Sega ST-V Sinclair ZX Spectrum Sony PSP Minis Taito Type X Triforce Zinc
I also have some requests for alternative versions: - As I have Cave as a separate platform could you change the text of your Arcade wheel into “Cave” and create a new Arcade one which features a classic character like Pac-Man or Space Invaders? I would prefer “MAME” as name for this new logo as well. - Change the text from “Genesis” into “Mega Drive” and from “Sega CD” into “Mega CD”. Your European friends will be thankful :) - The official spelling of PlayStation is with a capital S. So I would definitely prefer a version with the correct diction. You know, just OCD things ;)

I'll pick some stuff out of there. Jaguar and Amiga will probably be next.
CriticalCid said - As I have Cave as a separate platform could you change the text of your Arcade wheel into “Cave” and create a new Arcade one which features a classic character like Pac-Man or Space Invaders? I would prefer “MAME” as name for this new logo as well.
I should be able to make that happen.
CriticalCid said - Change the text from “Genesis” into “Mega Drive” and from “Sega CD” into “Mega CD”. Your European friends will be thankful :)
I had actually already planned to do this, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Are there actual default platforms in Launchbox for those variants and are they named "Sega Mega Drive" and "Sega Mega CD"? I want to make sure it's correct for incorporation into the Easy version. If there isn't a default and they're custom platforms as far as Launchbox is concerned, I would just add them in as variants in the -Alternate Versions- folder.
CriticalCid said - The official spelling of PlayStation is with a capital S. So I would definitely prefer a version with the correct diction. You know, just OCD things ;)
That looks weird as hell to me...but okay haha. My initial intention was to use "PSX" but I didn't want people flipping out about not using "PS1" (which I refuse to use) or (less likely) confusing it with the completely irrelevant Japan-only DVR-variant PS2.

Zombeaver said
CriticalCid said - Change the text from “Genesis” into “Mega Drive” and from “Sega CD” into “Mega CD”. Your European friends will be thankful :)
I had actually already planned to do this, I just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Are there actual default platforms in Launchbox for those variants and are they named "Sega Mega Drive" and "Sega Mega CD"? I want to make sure it's correct for incorporation into the Easy version. If there isn't a default and they're custom platforms as far as Launchbox is concerned, I would just add them in as variants in the -Alternate Versions- folder.
"Sega Mega Drive" is indeed listed as default platform but unfortunately there's no Mega CD at all. Thanks in advance for doing some of my requests. It's very much appreciated :)

I've always loved the artwork for Shadow of the Beast. It has virtually no relation to what's in the game itself but it looks completely awesome nonetheless. I like it so much that I felt a bit guilty filtering it at all, so I went ahead and made a separate variant that's unfiltered. Normal: Amiga.png Scanlines: Amiga-1.png Unfiltered - Normal: Amiga-2.png Unfiltered - Scanlines: Amiga-3.png

Most of these take about 30 minutes to an hour to make; some a bit less, some a bit more. This particular one was about four hours... the colors were abnormally difficult to get the way I wanted, primarily because the background is pretty busy which makes things more complicated. I just hope it's sufficiently legible at this point... Confused I made both a normal and a desaturated version. I'm not sure which I like better honestly.
    Normal:
Nintendo-Wii.png
    Scanlines:
Nintendo-Wii-1.png
    Normal (Desaturated):
Nintendo-Wii-2.png
    Scanlines (Desaturated):
Nintendo-Wii-3.png

So this one was a bit similar to Amiga in that it's using artwork that I've always been really fond of, and I just didn't think the normal techniques that I've used on many of these would be all that beneficial. I decided that if I was going to do alternate versions that I'd make the alterations more dramatic than normal. I uh... kinda went nuts with it Laugh You've got plenty of options!
    Normal - Unfiltered:
Nintendo-DS-Normal-Unfiltered.png
    Scanlines - Unfiltered:
Nintendo-DS-Scanlines-Unfiltered.png
    Normal - Filter Style 1:
Nintendo-DS-Normal-Filter-Style-1.png
    Scanlines - Filter Style 1:
Nintendo-DS-Scanlines-Filter-Style-1.png
    Normal - Filter Style 2:
Nintendo-DS-Normal-Filter-Style-2.png
    Scanlines - Filter Style 2:
Nintendo-DS-Scanlines-Filter-Style-2.png
    Normal - Filter Style 3:
Nintendo-DS-Normal-Filter-Style-3.png
    Scanlines - Filter Style 3:
Nintendo-DS-Scanlines-Filter-Style-3.png

Admittedly the arcade version is a little better given the somewhat toned-down nature of the TG16 port but it's still pretty solid. I'd normally make a point to decry censorship designed to avoid the public faux-outrage that always crops up around video game violence...but it was probably as much for hardware limitation reasons as anything else.
    Normal:
NEC-TurboGrafx-16.png
    Scanlines:
NEC-TurboGrafx-16-1.png
    Normal - Version 2:
NEC-TurboGrafx-16-2.png
    Scanlines - Version 2:
NEC-TurboGrafx-16-3.png

Here's an Arcade variant for Cave. Since the arcade platform banner I created ages ago has Esp Ra.De as the background I guess I can just change it to a Cave logo and the text to Cave. It also occurs to me that the current one says MAME not Arcade...

I think I need to make a list...

1. Make an alternate version of the current Arcade platform banner changing the text from "MAME" to "Arcade"

2. Make an alternate version of the current Arcade platform banner changing the top image to a Cave logo and the text to "Cave"

3. Make a new platform banner for MAME that uses a "classic" arcade game background

4. Make a new clear logo for MAME that uses a "classic" arcade game background

Permutations aplenty!

Normal:

Cave.pngScanlines:

Cave.png