LaunchBox Community Forums

Zombeaver's Platform Clear Logos

Zombeaver

You're welcome! :D When everyone lends their talents, whatever those may be, to a common goal we all reap the benefits. I've seen some extremely creative solutions to any number of different dilemmas posted here; solutions that, assuming I even could come up with given enough time, would have taken no small amount of time and effort to get there. I'm extremely grateful to everyone here that lends a hand at making this a better place and LB/BB a better experience. If this is a way that I can contribute to that end, I'm all for it. Hopefully none of that sounds sappy or melodramatic :P I just want to see us grow and be as great as possible!

Atari ST will be up next!

As far as the "version 2" images below...pretty sure the difference isn't going to be super apparent (if at all) in BB. They look pretty neat at full size though :/

Normal:

MAME.pngScanlines:

MAME.pngNormal - Version 2:

MAME.pngScanlines - Version 2:

MAME.png

• Like 2

The opening post has been updated with a download for everything thus far. The "easy install" version has been scrapped for the time being because there's just too much variance in people's platform names. Hopefully once "image packs" are implemented I can make use of those to make installation of these a little easier for people.

I'm looking forward to getting back to these in the next day or so - I've had another side project that's been taking up a lot of my Photoshopping attention -_-

• Like 1

Captain Blood isn't an Atari ST exclusive (there actually aren't too many of those) but it is the only version of the game that contains all of the alien voice samples. It's... a really weird game. It's made by Cryo (at the time called "Exxos") who had a predilection for creating consistently bizarre games that were always a bit off-kilter but also unique and interesting. I've always had a soft spot for their games, even when they were an impenetrable mess. My original exposure to Captain Blood was as a kid on the C64. It was this bizarre, open-ended thing with zero direction and a weird interface full of ambiguous and esoteric symbols. I had no idea what I was doing or even supposed to be doing, but I found it completely fascinating.

From the description of a Youtube video titled "The game that made me think I blew up the Earth as a kid":

I found this game on one of my many C64 tapes when I was a kid and I'd "play" it from time to time.
Since [...] the game has no title screen or any kind of beginning I thought it wasn't a game but a program made by aliens that lets you remote control a powerful spaceship using your Commodore 64 and that what you see on-screen is actually the spaceships control panel/dashboard whatever.

The game lets you explore the galaxy and blow planets up, so one day I somehow found the earth by accident and blew it up.
I was scared to death, I thought I gave the spaceship a command to actually blow the earth up for real, I couldn't sleep for a week waiting for the damn planet to blow up and then realized that "hey, maybe the aliens saw I gave the spaceship a wrong command so they stopped it from destroying the earth, cause if they destroy it who'd remote control the ship

That pretty much sums it up. According to Wikipedia you're supposed to hunt down and kill some clones or something... that's news to me! I just stumbled around from planet to planet talking in weird gibberish to aliens and blowing up planets.

Aaaaaanyway...

Normal:

Atari ST.pngScanlines:

Atari ST.png

• Like 1

Oooolll a MAME one.... i can get rid of my Arcade one now.... is there a wìi u or Nintendo DS one yet... thats the last two i need for my collection; )

Just checked the1st page n yea sweet there's a Nintendo DS one cheers :)

Edited by Mute64

I've got a couple of other things in the pipeline but I'll add Wii U to the list.

Cemu I'm assuming? I was under the impression Wii U emulation was still pretty early but I've heard some good things about Cemu (and no shortage of posts on /r/emulation... so much so that it kinda drove me away from that sub to be honest). Is it in a sufficient state that it's actually worth looking into as more than a novelty? Is it viable for more than just a couple games?

4 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

I've got a couple of other things in the pipeline but I'll add Wii U to the list.

Cemu I'm assuming? I was under the impression Wii U emulation was still pretty early but I've heard some good things about Cemu (and no shortage of posts on /r/emulation... so much so that it kinda drove me away from that sub to be honest). Is it in a sufficient state that it's actually worth looking into as more than a novelty? Is it viable for more than just a couple games?

So far i just have the one game Super Smash Bro for the wii u, while not perfect it's playable.. but its more there to show off to friends lol.

Edit: oh also ive been using the 3DO clear logo for my 3DNES section....... anychance you would like to make a 3DS clear logo?? No worries if you dont want to.

Edited by Mute64

On 9/1/2016 at 0:31 AM, Mute64 said:

my 3DNES section

wait..what?

how's it running? am tempted to give it a run, but heard that compatibility isn't the best right now. Your thoughts?

P.S. we're talking about the emulator that takes 2D NES games and applies some uncanny magic to output NES games in 3D and not 3DS right?

"Atari 8-bit" isn't a platform currently in the DB but, per the post I made here, it should/will be (consolidating the existing "Atari 800" and "Atari XE" platforms in the process). For the moment, I've got my own library setup to use it as a custom platform and set to scrape as Atari 800.

I'm a huge fan of Lucasarts (originally named Lucasfilm Games). They made many of my all-time favorites, going all the way back to my childhood on the C64. Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, and Koronis Rift got played many many times when I was a kid and I think they still hold up well even now. I break out Ballblazer, especially, very frequently. I never had any of the Atari 8-bit computers as a kid (or even knew anyone who had one) so my exposure to the games is fairly new (well, to the Atari 8-bit versions of them anyway - nearly all of them are also on the C64), but I've discovered that many of these early Lucasarts games were actually originally made for the Atari 8-bit family and later ported to other platforms including the C64. Honestly, despite the 8-bit being technically inferior (generally speaking) to the C64, they're better versions of the games. That's a pretty huge compliment considering how much of a C64 fanboy I am. I've had a blast replaying them!

RIP Lucasarts :( You gave me many hours of joy as a kid and I still love your games today.

Normal:

Atari 8-bit.png

Scanlines:

Atari 8-bit.png

Normal - Version 2:

Atari 8-bit.png

Scanlines - Version 2:

Atari 8-bit.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Nah, I'm already swamped with doing vector system / manufacturer logos, vectrex overlays, game themes and mame marquees for HS.

Just giving my opinion, I forgot to start with 'nicely done' so it might sound a little more like critisism than I intended ;)

1 hour ago, THK said:

Why use the generix text and not the actual system logos with the backgrounds. Even if you would not keep the colors of the original logos but apply the same style as you have now it would probably look better imo.

The font is because I wanted consistency. The reason I made these in the first place was because the ones that were available at the time were kindof a mishmash mess that looked entirely different from one to the next.

I'm not using the logos because... 1) There are a ton of them that already do that 2) it's not particularly interesting visually and 3) it's boring as shit.

imo

• Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 0:06 PM, Zombeaver said:

The font is because I wanted consistency. The reason I made these in the first place was because the ones that were available at the time were kindof a mishmash mess that looked entirely different from one to the next.

I'm not using the logos because... 1) There are a ton of them that already do that 2) it's not particularly interesting visually and 3) it's boring as shit.

imo

Agree. You can find system logo and text wheels anywhere. They are a dime a dozen. The reason I love Zombeavers sets so much is because they are original and unique.

44 minutes ago, THK said:

I meant no harm

None was inflicted. You're as welcome to your opinion as I am to mine. You asked a question and I answered.

If the set isn't to your own tastes, that's fine - there are plenty of alternatives here that are exactly what you're looking for. The beauty of LB/BB is that anyone can adjust them to their own tastes and however they see fit; and the more people contribute these kinds of assets, the more options we all have. I have a specific aesthetic that I'm going for and stick with, but there's nothing to say everyone has to (or should) like it as much as I do. Ultimately I made these for myself - I had a specific aesthetic that I wanted for my own collection; but at the same time there's no reason not to share that with the community because others might like it too. I already invested the time and effort into making them - no reason to hoard them :P

Here are some new logos for 32X. Tempo was yet another failed attempt at mascot creation in an era of over-saturation in that area, but despite being a failure sales-wise it's actually a pretty good game - one of the better ones on the 32X in fact (not that that's necessarily saying a whole lot, but still).

Normal:

Sega 32X.pngScanlines:

Sega 32X.pngNormal - Version 2:

Sega 32X.pngScanlines - Version 2:

Sega 32X.png

• Like 2