LaunchBox Community Forums

Videos

Drybonz

I do indeed plan to eventually. There are several major challenges with videos, but the benefit of becoming a great source of videos too could be HUGE. So that definitely intrigues me. Some of the challenges: - Bandwidth requirements - Requirements right now are no big deal, hosting images is still relatively cheap, even if we got incredible amounts of traffic. However, videos may prove to be more of a problem. It's hard to know what to expect and how much bandwidth would cost, so I'm not sure if we would need a way to monetize that feature or not. That said, I don't really want to tackle it unless we can make the videos free. It's something to think about; I don't want to not do it for that reason, but it is a challenge. - Not ripping off EmuMovies - One concern I have is that users would just upload videos from EmuMovies and other sources that we really shouldn't steal from. It's actually very difficult to create quality videos like EmuMovies has, so we'd need some *very* dedicated people in order to get a decent number of videos created. - Moderation - Along the same lines, how can we tell if a video that was uploaded was ripped off from somewhere that's going to cause a problem? There are other potential challenges with moderation as well. So those are just some thoughts that have been bouncing around my head. I'm still excited about the possibility; I hope we can get there.

I should note that there is definitely a history of people using other people's videos across sites and such. I noticed that many of the EmuMovies arcade videos are the same videos as the Progretto VideoSnaps here: http://www.progettosnaps.net/videosnaps/ It does look like the EmuMovies videos are encoded a bit differently, though. I'm not about to try and figure out who had the videos first or if they had permission to use the other people's videos, but it may be that we could use Progretto's videos since they're freely available to download. We may want to get permission from them though. Would love to hear peoples' thoughts on the matter.

I think that the Progretto video snaps are only standard res ones, where the premium Emumovies ones are 480p and up. Most of the newer Emumovies videos I have downloaded (I am a premium Emumovies member), especially the arcade ones, have a thumbnail in windows that shows that it is from Emumovies. Capture-1.PNG

In reality though does EmuMovies own the rights to those videos or are they all copyright infringements of the original right holders? Not that you should do anything underhanded to them just they wouldn't really have any legal recourse if you did.

Drybonz said
Jason Carr said Would love to hear peoples' thoughts on the matter.
They would probably appreciate you picking up some of the bandwidth.
No they'd rather be paid.
DOS76 said In reality though does EmuMovies own the rights to those videos or are they all copyright infringements of the original right holders? Not that you should do anything underhanded to them just they wouldn't really have any legal recourse if you did.
Yes and no...? On the grounds they own the video, no. On the grounds we're legit hurting their business, maybe.

DOS76 said In reality though does EmuMovies own the rights to those videos or are they all copyright infringements of the original right holders? Not that you should do anything underhanded to them just they wouldn't really have any legal recourse if you did.
Interesting point actually as they are making money from these movies. I guess this is not much different to people making money from play through videos on YouTube, and the rights holders don't get anything from those. EmuMovies is also hosted from the Netherlands, so Japanese and American rights would have little jurisdiction. Either way they were created by Emumovies, and I feel LaunchBox should not host anything that is created commercially by another company. The legality of the source material is someone else's problem to sort out! Laugh

SentaiBrad said No they'd rather be paid.
EmuMovies wants to get paid. Progretto snaps has free downloads. EmuMovies probably ripped off the videos from Progretto. Maybe not, I have no idea. There are people distributing them via torrent which we can't talk about here because they also distribute roms. So what I am saying is... the people who are carrying the torch and distributing movies for MAME, without charging them, would probably appreciate the help. Where does that leave EmuMovies who wants to get paid? I don't know.

Yea it's very tricky. We have a good relationship with EmuMovies though (at least from out stand point), and they provide a lot more than just Arcade video. This is just one instance where it's hard to tell. With the exception of someone stealing their product, they do have a lot of harder to find video, music and manuals. Not to mention they're set up with an API and they allow us access to it for free. So it's really a lot more than just Arcade video, if that was the case we would have offered it up already more than likely. It is certainly a tricky spot we've been put in. We simply don't have access to their download numbers and bandwidth per month, but we guess that's why there are restrictions. We would, in the end, love to offer it all for free and sure the other free sources would probably not mind another server to off set the load. However, as we grow we have no clue what our projected monthly bandwidth will be and we don't want to have to charge for that too if it were to get out of hand.

Honestly I don't think we should be dealing with the headaches that videos would bring right now. I like the option that exists; to have individual users download them from EmuMovies if they personally feel like paying for them. (Even from a moderation standpoint it just sounds like it'd be a HUGE pain.) And as said earlier, there are DEFINITELY NOT, IN NO WAY, torrents that you can find for those. DEFINITELY NOT. NOPE. DON'T GO LOOKING NOW. NUH-UH.

Lol. Yeah, I'm more concerned about not ripping people off than anything else. I don't want to use anyone's videos if they don't want us to, and restricting that with moderation would likely be pretty hard. That said, if ever we prove it to be possible, I would like to jump in that direction. For example, if Progretto approved us using their videos, it might be a good test to just upload their videos in batch and see what the bandwidth requirement might be for Arcade only. Just a thought. I haven't tried getting in touch with them at this point, but maybe eventually we can see what they say. My guess is that EmuMovies just got permission from Progretto to use their videos.

Soundtrackgeek said I've noticed that a lot of times, the video field is populated by a YouTube link, so I've started doing that myself. Maybe it could be an interesting idea to have an embedded youtube video in the LB sidebar for those type of links when the video file is missing?
Yea, that has been an idea for a while now. More people ask! ;)