LaunchBox Community Forums

Lightspeed: Ultra-Fast Mame Importer Tool

Jason Carr

Just tested the new version. I can’t confirm the “All Killer” issue. Everything works as expected on my side. @Drybonz have you checked that the path for your ROM files is right? The filter didn’t work for me either until I’ve realized that the path for my ROM files was wrong. The “couldn’t find ECD” error is still there. This time I also tried to open the .zip files with WinRAR and 7zip, both programs showed me an error that they can’t open the files. So I tried to compress an empty .txt file so that I have a valid .zip file and it worked. No more errors :) You should definitely use this as method for creating dummy files. I also noticed that when I filter the NAOMI games out I get a lot of different versions for the same games in the Output list. From all the drivers I tried out that was the only one which showed duplicates of the same game. Also I didn’t notice any “export” notes. Every game I’ve tested had the right notes. Awesome!

CriticalCid said Just tested the new version. I can’t confirm the “All Killer” issue. Everything works as expected on my side. @Drybonz have you checked that the path for your ROM files is right? The filter didn’t work for me either until I’ve realized that the path for my ROM files was wrong.
I tried to remove the ROMS path all together and it still worked for me. Then I tried to make Launchbox main folder as the ROMS folder and it still worked, so I'm not sure what's going on. I would really like to get my hands on a zip file containing all contents of your Lightspeed folder, if you can, Drybonz.
CriticalCid said The “couldn’t find ECD” error is still there. This time I also tried to open the .zip files with WinRAR and 7zip, both programs showed me an error that they can’t open the files. So I tried to compress an empty .txt file so that I have a valid .zip file and it worked. No more errors :) You should definitely use this as method for creating dummy files.
That's exactly the method that I'm using, so I'm pretty sure it's still happening on your side because those are the old files created with a previous version of Lightspeed. Try to sort by size and look at the dates, so you can spot the old files more easily. If you double click any of them and you still get an error, that means they are the old files. If you remove them and let Lightspeed re-create them your problem should be gone.
CriticalCid said I also noticed that when I filter the NAOMI games out I get a lot of different versions for the same games in the Output list. From all the drivers I tried out that was the only one which showed duplicates of the same game.
They are not actual duplicates. They are different versions. If you uncheck the options to remove tags you will notice that their names are different. Two things about what you are seeing as a problem: 1) since Naomi is unsupported (or barely supported ) by MAME at this point, a lot of those should be considered clones, I believe, but they are not (open the listxml.xml file and take a look at some of those entries). 2) Some of those entries have two versions, one of them being the GD-ROM version. So the game name should be the same, but they are in fact different, technically speaking. I could add another option to parse only regular, GD-ROM or both, but this is another thing. What Lightspeed is reporting at this point seem correct in relation to MAME xml.
CriticalCid said Also I didn’t notice any “export” notes. Every game I’ve tested had the right notes. Awesome!
Awesome to know! You might find something, but it will be one of those rare cases, I believe. Thanks for testing guys, as usual and please, let me know if there's anything else bugging. I wish I could see what's going on on that side of the island,but since I can't, sending me your files I believe to be the best/fastest way for me to help! Cheers, -Kris

Easy fix! Drybonz, for some reason you got two corrupted files in your setup. I just opened the very zip file you sent me and noticed this: corruptedfiles.jpg Look at the sizes. Those two files are corrupted, don't ask me how :) Solution: 1) go to the SupportFiles folder and simply delete them 2) Re-open Lightspeed and you will get a popup message saying that the xml wasn't found and telling you how to proceed, which is, go to the options tab and click "MAME -listxml" This will take about 50 seconds to complete and will re-create those files for you again. As soon as it's finished, you will notice a number on the side of this button, which should be the MAME version that you are using. The files sizes should now look like this: correctfiles.jpg Go straight to the export tab and click "filter" again. Your list should now populate correctly using the exact same filters you've set. Try it and let me know! :) -Kris

By all means, keep the questions coming until we figure this thing out! :) I just downloaded the old Mame 0.173 and set it up as my emulator using your folder as a base. It generated the files fine, so I'm ruling that out. If I had to guess, I would say that's either permission or disk space related. Here's my test: mame0173.jpg Check for disk space first and if you do have enough to accommodate about 220mb, then try running Lightspeed as Administrator. -Kris

Antropus said
CriticalCid said Just tested the new version. I can’t confirm the “All Killer” issue. Everything works as expected on my side. @Drybonz have you checked that the path for your ROM files is right? The filter didn’t work for me either until I’ve realized that the path for my ROM files was wrong.
I tried to remove the ROMS path all together and it still worked for me. Then I tried to make Launchbox main folder as the ROMS folder and it still worked, so I'm not sure what's going on. I would really like to get my hands on a zip file containing all contents of your Lightspeed folder, if you can, Drybonz.
I forgot to mention that I had „Match ROM folder“ checked as well.
CriticalCid said The “couldn’t find ECD” error is still there. This time I also tried to open the .zip files with WinRAR and 7zip, both programs showed me an error that they can’t open the files. So I tried to compress an empty .txt file so that I have a valid .zip file and it worked. No more errors :) You should definitely use this as method for creating dummy files.
That's exactly the method that I'm using, so I'm pretty sure it's still happening on your side because those are the old files created with a previous version of Lightspeed. Try to sort by size and look at the dates, so you can spot the old files more easily. If you double click any of them and you still get an error, that means they are the old files. If you remove them and let Lightspeed re-create them your problem should be gone.
You’re absolutely right: Sorry but I thought I had deleted all the dummy .zip files after each test run. I must’ve forgotten it after my last test. It works completely fine now!
CriticalCid said I also noticed that when I filter the NAOMI games out I get a lot of different versions for the same games in the Output list. From all the drivers I tried out that was the only one which showed duplicates of the same game.
They are not actual duplicates. They are different versions. If you uncheck the options to remove tags you will notice that their names are different. Two things about what you are seeing as a problem: 1) since Naomi is unsupported (or barely supported ) by MAME at this point, a lot of those should be considered clones, I believe, but they are not (open the listxml.xml file and take a look at some of those entries). 2) Some of those entries have two versions, one of them being the GD-ROM version. So the game name should be the same, but they are in fact different, technically speaking. I could add another option to parse only regular, GD-ROM or both, but this is another thing. What Lightspeed is reporting at this point seem correct in relation to MAME xml.
Yeah, I said that they were different versions, but if it’s basically the same game (no matter the version) it’s a duplicate for me, sorry for the confusion. I also thought that it wasn’t a problem of your tool because they all miss the clone tags, so no worries. But I wondered that all the non-supported systems like Model 2, Model 3, Atomiswave, hadn’t such “problems” and I thought I should mention it. It’s no biggie at all.

So what is best way to use program to split my roms into arcade, neo geo, and what else should I? All CPS systems into one platform or 3? Not sure what others are doing. Then when do how do you get all the media? Will it scrape right when split like this?

Glad things worked, Cid! Yeah, this Naomi thing kind bothers me as well. I mean, I don't even know if would be possible to break it in naomi and naomi2. Not sure if those drivers are separated. Also the GD-ROM version. Maybe I can try to split it up a bit, but I need to dig into those xml files to see what's under the hood. I really appreciate all your feedback guys. That's what pushes me to make it a better tool. Cheers, -Kris

rmilyard said So what is best way to use program to split my roms into arcade, neo geo, and what else should I? All CPS systems into one platform or 3? Not sure what others are doing. Then when do how do you get all the media? Will it scrape right when split like this?
It's a matter of personal taste. I prefer everything split, like 3 different CPS platforms, but you could name the 3 of them CPS and go with a single one. The program will indeed parse all media correctly, no matter if it is split or all combined under "Arcade". The thing about the image folders is that the latest LaunchBox beta broke it, as many new folders were added. My working version will address that, so things will not break if you are using the latest beta (and will still work with older versions). I should release this version tonight, together with some other improvements :) -Kris

So when I split the systems out to Arcade, CPS1, CPS2, CPS3 and CAVE and do the Download Metadata and Images it ONLY finds media for Arcade. The others it doesn't find anything. Should I be putting all into Arcade first and download all the metadata? After that use Lightspeed again to split them into Platforms?

Oh, Lightspeed is especially developed to use your local images and roms if you already have a collection! If you are trying to use Launchbox to gather the images for those other platforms, this is still possible, but you will need to tell Launchbox that each platform is a MAME collection (in the options when you are importing the metadata). Importing the metadata with Launchbox will get you the latest they have in their database, that according to some reports, is not as complete as importing everything with Lightspeed, because the info comes from History.dat, which is more complete. You have many options to do it though, but the most optimal way would be to download all the artwork packs, extract them locally, point Lightspeed to those folders and let it do its thing. You should get all games filtered, all metadata parsed and all artwork ready to go when you open Launchbox next time (unless you are using the latest beta, but in that case I will release a new version tonight that should fix that a well). -Kris

Antropus said Oh, Lightspeed is especially developed to use your local images and roms if you already have a collection! If you are trying to use Launchbox to gather the images for those other platforms, this is still possible, but you will need to tell Launchbox that each platform is a MAME collection (in the options when you are importing the metadata). Importing the metadata with Launchbox will get you the latest they have in their database, that according to some reports, is not as complete as importing everything with Lightspeed, because the info comes from History.dat, which is more complete. You have many options to do it though, but the most optimal way would be to download all the artwork packs, extract them locally, point Lightspeed to those folders and let it do its thing. You should get all games filtered, all metadata parsed and all artwork ready to go when you open Launchbox next time (unless you are using the latest beta, but in that case I will release a new version tonight that should fix that a well). -Kris
Not sure I understand. I have my full ROM set but no artwork for MAME etc. I just want to get them into LB and let it download all the media files etc. So not sure if I am explaining this right.

Tried it again with "run as admin" but no luck. Hard drive space is plenty. My path to roms folder had reset at some point so I fixed that but still no luck. Tried "match roms folder" but didn't work. I'm sure it's something small but I can't seem to figure it out.

You can do just that, but since you don't have any local artwork, after using Lightspeed to import everything into Launchbox you will need to select all games imported and then import the artwork for it (you don't need to import ANY metadata, as Lightspeed already does that for you, from history.dat and other sources). Just tell Launchbox that this is part of a MAME set, so all the artwork can be found in their database. It's pretty straight forward but I can write a step-by-step if you are in trouble.

Antropus said You can do just that, but since you don't have any local artwork, after using Lightspeed to import everything into Launchbox you will need to select all games imported and then import the artwork for it (you don't need to import ANY metadata, as Lightspeed already does that for you, from history.dat and other sources). Just tell Launchbox that this is part of a MAME set, so all the artwork can be found in their database. It's pretty straight forward but I can write a step-by-step if you are in trouble.
If you could PM me what I should do that would be GREAT! I am pretty new to LB and only used HyperSpin in the past so not 100% sure what doing.

Drybonz said Tried it again with "run as admin" but no luck. Hard drive space is plenty. My path to roms folder had reset at some point so I fixed that but still no luck. Tried "match roms folder" but didn't work. I'm sure it's something small but I can't seem to figure it out.
Did you try to move the entire folder to another location? If you got another HDD, try moving the folder to the root. I used your exact setup in my computer, except that I changed the mame.exe location to my local K:\MAME\EMULATOR\mame64.exe Another choice is to re-download the entire program. It comes with a file called ListXMLOptimized.xml in it. Close Lightspeed, copy this file and rename the copy to listxml.xml, keeping both files in the SupportFiles folder. I'm positive this will work, but we still need to figure out what's going on with your setup! -Kris

rmilyard said If you could PM me what I should do that would be GREAT! I am pretty new to LB and only used HyperSpin in the past so not 100% sure what doing.
I will write it here, so other users can use the info as well. I will do this tonight, after I put my kids to sleep :) -Kris

Antropus said
rmilyard said If you could PM me what I should do that would be GREAT! I am pretty new to LB and only used HyperSpin in the past so not 100% sure what doing.
I will write it here, so other users can use the info as well. I will do this tonight, after I put my kids to sleep :) -Kris
Thanks!