LaunchBox Community Forums

Lightspeed: Ultra-Fast Mame Importer Tool

Jason Carr

It doesn't seem like much, but A LOT is being done under the hood and I got things more optimized and modular now. Still work to do, but getting easier to update things. Some more features: Here are the new options I mentioned. If you check all of those last 4 options, the exported list will only contain games that have artwork available for them. I just exported a list and BigBox looked great, with absolutely no missing artwork :) LS07f_3.png The All Killer No Filler filter just got fancier: 1) Firstly, it basically overrides the other filters, so only the games in this list will be imported when you check this box. 2) BUT, you now have the option to choose if the other filters have or not influence over this list. If you choose to bypass the filters, then the full list will be generated. If you don't choose to bypass the filters, then everything is taken in account, so you can get rid of all BIOS in that list, if you already have those BIOS in your ROMs folder, so the list will contain only the games themselves. Or you can eliminate the CHDs from the list and so on. 3) On the favorites idea, now you can choose to make the games in this list favorites in LaunchBox/BigBox. Just mark the checkbox and all games in the list will be favorite'd when the list is exported. Another way to do this is to rename the Mame Arcade platform to "All Killer", for example, export those games as part of this platform, mass edit all games in it as favorites and then mass edit them again, moving them into your Mame Arcade platform this time: LS07f_2.png I started adding a context menu that will grow quite a bit. So far you can already select all, invert selection, delete selected and move selected clones into the output list. I will be adding more stuff soon: LS07f_1.png I started a thread over Arcade Controls and it was super cool that the author of Romlister stopped by to give his thumbs up so I can "carry the torch" on this whole list generator thingy :) Sorry it's taking a little long to get a new version out. I really need to iron things out some more and there are many ideas lingering around my head now. I had this crazy idea of creating a "GameList Blender". It would work like this: - Select a list format from the dropdown menu, hyperspin for example, then click import to have your old list imported into Lightspeed. If the information is incomplete, it doesn't really matter right now. This list will be parsed into a "Blender" listview. Now select another format, attract-mode for example, and import your attract-mode list. It will be merged with the previous list and anything already there will be skipped. You will be able to merge as many lists from as many different front-ends as you wish, so you can basically consolidate all lists from all the different FEs you might use into a single list if you wish. But here comes the great part about it: this list will become a filter and all the metadata will be parsed again and anything missing before will now be filled in for you, as long as the exporting format supports all those fields. Now you can simply export this consolidated list to all your front-ends again, super-fast. A little ambitious, but I think I can make it work. Cheers, -Kris

Weekend update: 1) I changed my code to be faster and more effective when cross-referencing folder contents. As a consequence, you can now also choose to match your final list with the Wheels/Clearlogos that you have. 2) I incorporated the update buttons as a very easy, straight forward way of getting the latest support files available, so Lightspeed can be always up-to-date. The way it works: downloads the files > unzips them into a temp folder > copies the necessary file to the correct folder > deletes the temp folder > reads the uncompressed file to capture its version from the header > updated the interface to reflect that number by the update button side, so you know which versions you are using at all times. LSUpdaters1.png 3) AntoPISA did a great thing with his Catver.ini, Series.ini and Languages.ini. He kept the download names consistent every time there's a new version for download, so the updater simply works. Now, with History.dat and NPlayers.ini, the names change every time there's a new version and it's not only an update on the number itself, like "0174", but sometimes "0174a", for example. For that reason I added an inputbox that you can use to enter the new version that you are looking for, with examples you can try. Again, this is only necessary for NPlayers.ini and History.dat LSUpdaters2.png 4) History.dat is the only support file that's big. For that reason I added a little progress bar: LSUpdaters3.png 5) Because I understand the importance of the work being done by the support files creators/maintainers, after any of those updates you will get a popup window crediting the authors and providing a link that everybody is encouraged to click to support their projects (as I understand, they need traffic and accept donations, so please click the links!). LSUpdaters4.png 5b) Same here: LSUpdaters5.png You can now generate/update your Mame xml file via the mame -listxml command line running under the hood: LSUpdaters6.png -Kris

tab5.png Good news: I got a new version out for whoever wants to try it. Bad News: there are so many changes in the code that I think it's very likely that bugs are still present. Too many new features to list, so here are some highlights: - It got an installer now - It got a 20+ pages manual in PDF, accessible from the "?" in the GUI (suggestions/corrections, welcomed) - I'm not packaging support files with it anymore, at least until I get authorization from the authors (already requested), but those files will be automatically downloaded the first time you run the program, so don't worry! - A new logo I hacked together, so it's broader in scope and not so much Launchbox-centric anymore. I kept it colorful though :) - The amount of possible filters got pretty insane, but you already know that :) - The amount of Front-Ends supported grew as well Edit: please grab the latest at the first post of this thread: https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/emulation/lightspeed-ultra-fast-mame-importer-tool#p13904 Cheers! -Kris

anyany said this is a new version? I installed, but the executable disappeared somehow ... Where do I get this or a recent version to download?
Disappeared? Do you think your antivirus wiped it? This one comes with an installer. Make sure you add the destination folder in there and it should work. If not, I will be making a more refined version available tonight. I got some excellent news: Alexis from Arcade History authorized me to package History.dat with Lightspeed! So no need to download it on the first run anymore. NPlayers.ini is good to go as well. Still waiting for AntoPISA to authorize me to package the other files (catver, languages and series), but that shouldn't be a problem, I think. New version tonight! Thanks, -Kris

wallmachine said Cheers Kris, thanks for fixing the part of the installer that was breaking things! Just wondering are you using a version of 7-zip above 16.00? as previous builds had vulnerabilities that have now been addressed.
You are welcome. I hope it's not too broken :) I believe so. I downloaded it last night at 2am, so it should be the latest they have available. -Kris Edit: I just confirmed: I'm using version 16.02. It's about a week old as it seems.

Small visual tweaks here and there and better error message handling regarding "Filter!" and "Go!". The program is now smart enough to detect if any changes were made since the last filtering and will tell you so when you press "Go!". I added this to make sure that the exported list will reflect exactly what you are looking for, because sometimes you might change some filters but unless you click "Filter!" again those changes will not be incorporated in the final list. Now the program will let you know :) Grab it here: Self-extract: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B23vaxsfSk1ydFFuclZncld0bmM 7z: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B23vaxsfSk1yTVo3YVNPc2NSRm8 -Kris

OK, I'm not an "outlaw" anymore! I got permission to package history.dat (thanks Alexis!!!), Catver.ini, Languages.ini and Series.ini (thank you AntoPISA!!!) with Lightspeed. NPLayers.ini is free to use as well, based on the note on their website, so we are all set with all the support files! Now, I still need to contact the Maximus Arcade folks and ask if it's ok to keep re-distributing their Maximus List Converter. I assume it is, since it's listed under freebies, but you know how it goes. I will try to contact them anyway. The last remaining third party piece of the puzzle is the Mala List Converter, which was developed by a user over Arcade Controls, but he simply vanished for years now. I'm sure he will be ok with me redistributing his little app because he is very engaged in all sorts of open source projects, but I'm still trying to contact him. On other news, I went public with it and it's now posted at http://www.mameworld.info, so make sure you stop by to say hello :) -Kris

OK, I'm not an "outlaw" anymore! I got permission to package history.dat (thanks Alexis!!!), Catver.ini, Languages.ini and Series.ini (thank you AntoPISA!!!) with Lightspeed. NPLayers.ini is free to use as well, based on the note on their website, so we are all set with all the support files! Now, I still need to contact the Maximus Arcade folks and ask if it's ok to keep re-distributing their Maximus List Converter. I assume it is, since it's listed under freebies, but you know how it goes. I will try to contact them anyway. The last remaining third party piece of the puzzle is the Mala List Converter, which was developed by a user over Arcade Controls, but he simply vanished for years now. I'm sure he will be ok with me redistributing his little app because he is very engaged in all sorts of open source projects, but I'm still trying to contact him. On other news, I went public with it and it's now posted at mameworld, so make sure you stop by to say hello :) -Kris