LaunchBox Community Forums

Neo Geo

kerszr

Alright, I love this, one of the greatest frontends... like ever. Much love to everone involved. 20 dollars well spent. One problem though... I can't seem to launch neo geo games instantaneously! What emulator do you use to have quick and fast access to all your neo geo classics??? if there is no emulator; what stuff do i have to do to configure lunchbox to get it running? Thanks ahead of time. I love you all!

I totally agree with LordMonkus but if you are looking for other alternatives MAME, WinKawaks, Final Burn Alpha stand alone and Nebula should all handle NeoGeo games. If you don't have any RetroArch experience I would suggest watching this video by Jason (who is the developer of LB) which is an excellent getting started guide and then that can be re-enforced even further with any of the system specific tutorials that Brad has done which are very good and will get you up and running there isn't a specific tutorial for any of the FB Alpha platforms but the other videos will give you a good idea on how to setup any system properly.

My order of preference for NeoGeo emulation would be Retroarch using the FBA core first, Mame second, stand alone FBA 3rd and WinKawaks last. The reasons for standalone FBA and WinKawaks as the last choices are because FBA itself has really funky keybinding and WinKawaks in my experience had troubles working through a front end. My WinKawaks issues may have just been my personal problems and maybe they could be worked around. I've never used Nebula so I have no comment on it.

All the mentioned emulators will work fine with Neo Geo games through LaunchBox. On the WinKawaks issue with frontends. This emulator automatically opens games via LaunchBox provided the following two boxes are enabled in the Edit Emulator window. Don't use quotes etc. Use file name only without file extension or folder path etc. If you add a parameter to open WinKawaks in proper full screen, then you will most likely have an error on exiting the game. This is a WinKawaks and not a LaunchBox issue. It's best to run WinKawaks in full screen windowed mode. A niggling thing with WinKawaks is the need to pause emulation in order to quit. And WinKawaks limits you to CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo systems.

• 5 months later...