LaunchBox Community Forums

Neo Geo NeoRAGEx Emulator Setup ?

Kristijan1001

I just got neo geo games,and got NeoRAGEx as Emulator since that's the one that poped out,however whenever i launch a game the emulator just starts up and does nothing.Does anyone know any way around this ,some special config or maybe diffrent working emulator excluding mame and retroarch.Help would be really appriciated. Thank You.

DOS76 said Kawaks or Final Burn Alpha are both options but truthfully the fb_alpha_neo core in RA is the best Neo Geo emulator I've ever used.
I cant get it to work,each time i start a ROM its says its not supported,the roms are in zip's,i tried extract before running but still doesnt work

Can you send a screen shot of your RetroArch associated platforms NeoGeo-1.JPG This is what mine looks like Note that the matching name Neo Geo appears both in the left of LaunchBox and in the name list of the Associated Platform form and then the cores command line is -L "cores\fb_alpha_neo_libretro.dll"

I'm not gonna tell you which emulator to use, that's your choice. However, I will highly recommend Retroarch, it really is the best option for the vast majority of emulation that it has cores for. It is the best for several reasons like easy controller setup, save state management and shaders to start. But the biggest and best reason to use Retroarch is for its Hard GPU Synch setting which has a pretty big impact on reducing input lag.

I was totally against using RA for the longest time but after learning how to use it and seeing the improvements that it made over other stand alone emulators. Every thing handheld is much better than the stand alone. Its the best TurboGrafx/PC Engine emulator I've ever experienced. I've personally never tried to use FBA stand alone but I know that Kawaks also crashes if you try to use true full screen. You can set it to use Windowed full screen but in my opinion it looks like shit and it is just a PITA altogether. RA means not having to set up your controllers (In most cases). I'm not trying to force you to use it like LordMonkus said but I strongly suggest you watch Jason's video it will give you a base to build upon when setting it up and then start watching Brad's video tutorials on how to set up specific systems his videos are great at teaching you what you need to know. Like I said I was totally against using RA. I wanted no parts of that it was a pain and unintuitive, but after finally starting to use it I'm totally converted and use it for almost everything that I can except MAME and ePSXe.

I will put my vote in for RetroArch as well. I have had very similar experience to everyone else, I was against it at the start and tried to stick with standalone emulators, but have since moved everything I can over to it. It may seem daunting at first but once you figure it out it is actually quite easy to use, and the best bit is that you only have to figure it out once for multiple systems. I use it for everything I can except MAME and Dreamcast, which I still prefer the standalones for.

RetroArch is pretty fantastic in my honest opinion, and I hated it when I first started using it. I do suggest watching our Tutorials on our channel, which you can find the link to in my signature. Even if you're not completely interested in some of the systems I cover, at least when it comes to RetroArch, there is something that can be learned and applied to every other system. I can also say that as time goes on, as I make them, I get in to a better rhythm and they flow a bit better.