LaunchBox Community Forums

New RocketLauncher update contains LaunchBox Plugin

BlackSol

(Not sure if this is the sub forum for this so move it if not.) It is finally here. Not sure how it is working as I just d/l the update but hopefully it gets rid of the annoying workaround to get it to work. Thank you Jason and bleasby for getting this for us RL users.

So it appears to be working somewhat. I changed my FrontEnd LaunchBox plug in for UI And Launcher to LaunchBox from RocketLauncherUI and then refreshed the consoles in RocketLauncher UI and they all showed up. I had to rename a few consoles in LaunchBox and use the new "Scrape As" function in the latest betas (Thank you Jason!) To match what RocketLauncher is looking for with Consoles so you can retain current settings in RocketLauncher for your systems. If you do not do this, there doesn't appear to be a way to add Emulators for the system. Once I got that sorted out I then updated my Emulator settings in LaunchBox by replacing the -p RocketLauncherUI to -p LaunchBox in the command-line parameters. The biggest issue with the UI Plugin for RocketLauncher is it appears to not show accurate audit information. When you audit one system/console the same audit sticks for all remaining systems. Example...when you audit NES upon loading RocketLauncherUI it will go perfectly, but if you decide to audio Game Boy, it will show all the NES games under the Game Boy Audit and show that none of them show up. You can somewhat remedy this by closing RocketLauncherUI and then reopening to do the audit, but a small bug for progress :). Adding a game in LaunchBox does show up in RocketLauncherUI, so no more managing of two databases!

Lmagnus87 said Everything new for Launchbox is an excellent news
lol... well, that's great... I thought maybe we could talk about specifics though. To me, as a casual observer, no one, including the LaunchBox developer, really seems to know how this feature works or what it is good for. At a glance it seems to be on just about the same level as we have always used RL with LB. I'm sure, though, that this isn't the case and I'm just not understanding it.

The plugin should specifically allow the Fade in and Pause screens to use RL specific metadata and art. If this is something someone's been dying to have then I could see this being very useful. Setting up RL cold turkey just for these two features? I would say it's not needed. RocketLauncher does do a few things we don't CURRENTLY do, but these two specific examples are the only two things that I think are made possible with the plugin, otherwise the other features work. Fade in and Pause still even works, it just doesn't display all the proper information you'd expect. This is what has been told to me from a few people though, I currently do not run RL in any way.

Well no, not specifically. xD I guess I mean it more as, nothing is off the table for features we would implement. Obviously there are features that are a lot harder to implement and may take forever to implement (time to implement vs amount of requests), but nothing is technically a hard no.

kerszr, the best way I can describe it is a launcher for games that adds extra features... such as a pause menu, an easy way to control display of bezel art around your games, input stuff like joytokey and ultramap, and other things. Basically, a way to add stuff that emulators don't already have. It's a pain to set up, but can be useful. You may want to read up on it to see if it offers a specific feature you want before you mess with it.

There are some features or idea's from other FE's too that we're inspired by and think would great additions too. Of course we'll do it our way and not try and blatantly rip off another FE, but for example, displaying game / console controls on a second screen is something that has been requested and is something we would love to tackle. @Drybonz is right though, RL may take quite a bit of time setting up, but you may want some of these things so you'll have to find out if it's something you want to take the time to do.

SentaiBrad. I believe I mentioned this in the tutorial suggestions thread, but I think a RocketLauncher tutorial would be great sometime in the future. Right now, it looks like there's some bugs that need to be fixed. Once the bugs are ironed out and the databases are synced (or whatever else needs to happen) a tutorial would be awesome!

SentaiBrad said The plugin should specifically allow the Fade in and Pause screens to use RL specific metadata and art. If this is something someone's been dying to have then I could see this being very useful. Setting up RL cold turkey just for these two features? I would say it's not needed. RocketLauncher does do a few things we don't CURRENTLY do, but these two specific examples are the only two things that I think are made possible with the plugin, otherwise the other features work. Fade in and Pause still even works, it just doesn't display all the proper information you'd expect. This is what has been told to me from a few people though, I currently do not run RL in any way.
You're always so negative about RocketLauncher. I feel that it's ok for anyone to setup LB/BB with or without it. Anyone that has spent the time to set it up for another frontend would be a fool not to use it. Don't try to down play its features and what it can do that LB/BB can't do, especially if you have never seen it fully setup and configured properly. I personally would consider it the best product in emulation collaboration... and it's completely free! I won't mention all the features or that they provide better support on getting the latest emulators working. LB/BB makes your games look nice but the nuts and bolts are in the backend. If I can't play a game properly it doesn't matter how good it looks.

progets what did he say here that is negative. He just advised a user that in his opinion it isn't necessary but if you want the specific features its offering to set it up and use, but warns it could be time consuming. I didn't see any negative phrasing, he didn't call it garbage, a POS or anything inflammatory. If you think Kerszr should use RL tell him the reasons why and then someone with RL experience like yourself can help him set it up instead.