LaunchBox Community Forums

Show only favorites in Big Box

Layby2K

Hi Everyone, I'm currently running Launchbox on my arcade cabinet and it runs amazingly well. I have many systems set up in launchbox along with their full sets of roms etc. I use Launchbox for managing all the games and artwork and Bigbox for the frontend. I don't however, want all of the imported games to show up in BigBox though, especially mame games. Is there a way that I can show only the games that are marked as favorites in Big Box? I would still like the Systems selection list shown and when I select the system i.e SNES or Arcade, it only shows Favorited games. This way I can easily add or remove games displayed when the arcade boots into BigBox. I know I can select the favorites view but it combines all the different systems together which I don't want. Cheers, Leigh

• 6 months later...
On 04/06/2016 at 4:12 PM, Jason Carr said:

Hi Leigh, probably the best solution would be to mark the games that you don't want to see in Big Box as "hidden". Then you can configure LaunchBox to show your hidden games and configure Big Box to hide them. :)

I would love to have a "Show only Favorites" shortcut in game selection screen. I like to have a complete rom set for a Platform to discover new games, but when I want to check only the ones I Favorited to have a more focused navigation, the Favorite list would be fabulous. Two questions:

1) This would be a feasible feature? To have a shortcut to show only Favorites...

2) In the Navigation by letter (when you move your joystick horizontally), what is the star for?

@Amauri If you want to only show certain games, perhaps marking games as hidden would be a better option for you. You can use the Hide field in LaunchBox to hide the games. Both LaunchBox and Big Box have separate settings for whether or not "hidden" games are shown. It should be relatively easy to filter to unfavorited games, select them all, and then mark them as hidden in batch.

@Jason Carr Thanks for your response! I understand your point. My only request would be have a shortcut to show/hide hidden/non- favorite games. This would be very helpful and simple to explore games you dont really know (in a full set) or to go directly to your favorites. Your suggestion would make me leave the current Platform, go to the menu and make this choice, than leave the menu, go back to the Platform to finally check this option. A simple shortcut would be marvelous.

• Like 1

I "think" the games marked as Favorite show at the start of each platform game list in LB and BB. So, without even hiding anything, it should be easy to see and navigate the favorites in each platform. The enhancement requested sounds nice, but I wanted to add this just note in case you didn't know that the favorites are at the start of the game list in each platform. That said, I'm not sure how the letter navigation works with respect to the favorites vs all the others since I'm not in front of my BB to see. 

• 2 months later...

+1 for this feature.

I like Launchbox very much and  like to import all my complete Romsets to it so that i have it as complete as is gets. But for BixBox purposes, I'd like to show only Favourites because in a romset like maybe GBA or Mame with thousands of roms its hard to find your desired games. Apart from that it takes much longer to load 1000 ClearLogos than 100.

The way of hiding Roms sounds ok. But I think a "show only Favourites Filter" wold be nicer than to hide everything. Seems more "right" to me. And shouldn't be that hard to implement I think. :)

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old topic, but was this every implemented?  I too found myself looking for a way to 'Only Display Favorites' but couldn't find this option, and manually hiding everything isn't ideal if I want to show all titles on the fly to try a new one, vs. just ones I've favorited previously I know I like, and it cuts down on a lot of scrolling.   I also know that favorites are shown at the top, but even going out and coming back into the list menu doesn't reset your selection position back to the top of the list, and if your last selection is way down on the list, it's a lot of scrolling to get to the top where the favorites are.

9 minutes ago, rodww said:

I realize this is an old topic, but was this every implemented?  I too found myself looking for a way to 'Only Display Favorites' but couldn't find this option, and manually hiding everything isn't ideal if I want to show all titles on the fly to try a new one, vs. just ones I've favorited previously I know I like, and it cuts down on a lot of scrolling.   I also know that favorites are shown at the top, but even going out and coming back into the list menu doesn't reset your selection position back to the top of the list, and if your last selection is way down on the list, it's a lot of scrolling to get to the top where the favorites are.

Create a "auto populated" playlist with favourites as the term to include.

I dont think so...

At least i couldnt find it.

My solution to this Problem was to create new Playlists for all your systems/platforms where you Put in your favorites.

In big Box you then can Switch between Show platforms and Show Playlists If you want to Show all / Just Show favourites.

There are a few downsides when using this Method though. For example Some Infos are Missing in Playlists compared to platforms. Or when using Themes with custom background vids  you have to manually adapt the background vids to Match the current Theme for your Playlist. At least i Ran Into These Problems.. 

Edit: wow, didnt know about that. Might have a look tomorrow.

Edited by modjoo

An update to this post...  I am using the favorites screen and it's working as designed however I'm not sure how to get it to display a custom video (platform/category/playlist?) while in BixBox, it's only blank.  Is there something I need to do?  I tried copying an MP4 with the same name as my favorite into both the Platform and Playlist folders but it doesn't show them...