LaunchBox Community Forums

Thinking about buying LaunchBox Premium

rmilyard

Hello all, I am thinking about building a new cabinet for kids to use downstairs. It is using pretty high end PC parts and will run off an I-Pac 2 setup for 2 players with 2 joysticks and 6 buttons each and few extra buttons etc. 2 at least for Pinball which is my fav stuff. Anyways I am thinking about making the switch from HyperSpin/Rocketlauncher setup. How easy is LB to get running? Lets say my MAME and few systems using RetroArch? I can build from there. In my HS system I have A LOT but I would like to bring them in LB one at a time, test them, setup and get running right. What would be the best Tutorials video order to watch etc to learn how to setup and config LB?

I have just made the switch from Hyperspin myself. I cant really comment on the video tutorials but I can say that is is so much easier to set up systems in Launchbox. I am really excited to finally stop setting up and tweaking Hyperspin, as I have been for so long, and finally play my games. Planning on buying Launchbox Premium in the next few days for sure!

It is super easy to setup when compared to Hyperspin and Rocketlauncher. When I started in on all this front end stuff about a year or so ago I started out with other frontends and eventually go to Hperspin because a buddy of mine was using it. With his help and tons of reading I finally managed to get stuff "working" but I was never happy with it and hated how much of a pain it was to add or remove games on the fly. Then I found Launchbox and haven't looked back, it blows everything else away in every way possible. It looks better, easier to setup, and is easier to maintain and change things as needed. I made the switch before Brad started posting all the tutorials and it was still very easy to get setup. Some emulators need some extra work like SSF for the Saturn but that needs work in any frontend.

SentaiBrad said It shouldn't have the box checked by default anymore, but Derek is right, edit your MAME emulator and make sure to uncheck that box for archives.
So not sure where you are talking about? In MAMEUIFX or in LB? Also all my roms are .zip and also have CHD folders. So check for .zip roms or unchecked? Seems like saying 2 different things.

In LaunchBox go to tools then manage emulators this will open a small window from there click on your emulator in question and click edit now a new window will open on this window there will be a few checkboxes look for the one that pertains to unzipping archives and make sure that it isn't checked unlike the mistake in my original post. Also are the games working outside of LaunchBox and are they installed in the default roms folder and if not have you pointed MAMEUIFX towards the proper roms folder in the settings?

Guess going to work on importing MAME tonight. Tomorrow work on SNES with RetroArch. Messed with it and having issues with config files not saving in config folder. Also in LB when add the -c "config\file_name.cfg" after restarting LB the "config" part is gone.

Yea that certainly shouldn't disapear. Where is RetroArch saving your configs or is it denying the save all together? if it's denying the save, try updating LaunchBox to a new version or change it's folder location. You can also go to the RA settings and change the config path your self to point to the folder you want. If it is saving them in a different folder, you can also just change the config folder to where ever they are at. I apoligize if this seems basic and / or if you've stated, but just to make sure, you are on 6.2 and before closing out the Associated Platform you are pressing Ok rather than Cancel? It's also worth asking where you have your LaunchBox install located. If it's in the default location then it may have some permission issues when it comes to saving settings. Do you remember exactly how you added then closed LaunchBox so that we can try and test it on our end's?

SentaiBrad said Yea that certainly shouldn't disapear. Where is RetroArch saving your configs or is it denying the save all together? if it's denying the save, try updating LaunchBox to a new version or change it's folder location. You can also go to the RA settings and change the config path your self to point to the folder you want. If it is saving them in a different folder, you can also just change the config folder to where ever they are at. I apoligize if this seems basic and / or if you've stated, but just to make sure, you are on 6.2 and before closing out the Associated Platform you are pressing Ok rather than Cancel? It's also worth asking where you have your LaunchBox install located. If it's in the default location then it may have some permission issues when it comes to saving settings. Do you remember exactly how you added then closed LaunchBox so that we can try and test it on our end's?
When I run RetroArch by itself it will save the per core in the configs folder. When use LB it saves in the root. I am running LB 6.2

Do you have different installs of RetroArch? As long as you are using the same version of RetroArch it should still be using the same settings that it uses regardless of how you launched it. The only way that might be different is if you are also launching RetroArch in LaunchBox from a system that is using a custom config and the settings in that config are different from the default RA config. If you right click a game, open RetroArch, then load a core manually and save a config does this work? If so then it might be the config you have for the system you are launching in LB has settings off potentially. This is the most logical thing I can think of because LaunchBox doesn't change the way RetroArch works, it just uses command lines to launch games or use config files.

SentaiBrad said Do you have different installs of RetroArch? As long as you are using the same version of RetroArch it should still be using the same settings that it uses regardless of how you launched it. The only way that might be different is if you are also launching RetroArch in LaunchBox from a system that is using a custom config and the settings in that config are different from the default RA config. If you right click a game, open RetroArch, then load a core manually and save a config does this work? If so then it might be the config you have for the system you are launching in LB has settings off potentially. This is the most logical thing I can think of because LaunchBox doesn't change the way RetroArch works, it just uses command lines to launch games or use config files.
Only one install of v1.3.4. Fresh install of LB. Only have Arcade and SNES installed. Only custom config trying to use is the only for the SNES right now. I would like to have them for each system in RetroArch when done. I have 8tb of stuff to add so going to be long long time working on this! lol. I have to say all in all liking LB just a learning curve but I'll get there. Heck used Hyperspin so this should be cake! Is there a manual or anything LB yet?

There's not really a manual unfortunetly, we haven't done much in the way of documentation like that. Hopefully the Tutorials end up being like that. I am starting to do feature specific tutorials fpr LaunchBox and RetroArch and things like that. Wanting to get through the bulk of systems that work great in LaunchBox.

SentaiBrad said There's not really a manual unfortunetly, we haven't done much in the way of documentation like that. Hopefully the Tutorials end up being like that. I am starting to do feature specific tutorials fpr LaunchBox and RetroArch and things like that. Wanting to get through the bulk of systems that work great in LaunchBox.
I was just thinking that the reason I'm here is because of Simply Austin. Just persuade him to do another tutorial based on 6.X. After all, it's how he grew his channel doing the same for Hyperspin. Loving your vids as well Brad - makes things so simple for the beginner like me so thank you. I've even started watching the development videos that Jason is doing. Haven't a clue what is going on but they are strangely addictive! A PDF with a simple setup guide wouldn't go amiss though imoLaugh

I can tell you that an issue I had with MAME was getting the games to work. Make sure you set up the roms directory location WITHIN Mame before trying to run games through LaunchBox/BigBox. Also, make sure the mame.cfg file shows the correct directory of where the games are. If you need more help, I'm happy to assist. Just shoot me a PM.