LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch?

ckp

On August 30, 2016 at 0:04 PM, lordmonkus said:

Playstation 1, like I said above. I prefer Retroarch for 2D sprite games and ePSXe for 3D games because it does much better hardware resolution upscaling. Retroarch right now does it's upscaling on the CPU which is slow.

So I'm looking at RA cores now and I see two for PS1 with one called "Mednafen PSX HW". Could that one possibly be doing better things and maybe video card upscaling?

Ok I will try it. Ok I have my cores added. I wonder if you can give me a two second answer (to save some google time) about what else is needed before setting RA up in LB? Like don't I need to copy some bios files from my existing stand alone emulators to somewhere for RA? Anything else? I assume I don't need to add any games or things like that since LB will be telling it what platform and game file to load. Thank you.

You will need bios files for certain systems placed in the /system folder of your Retroarch install folder. In some cases you can just copy over bios files from other emulators but you may need to rename them to match what Retroarch is expecting.

Use this page to look up each core and see what bios file/s and naming it wants. http://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

You do not need to add your roms to Retroarch at all.

well, i'm quite happy that my first try at adding a new RA to a new LB worked for me for my first platform PS1. but my xbox 360 controller doesn't work. it works inside RA interface, but only the dpad works in a ps1 game. aside from that i have no idea, even after googling, how exit the game and back to LB with xbox controller, although escape from keyboard works. so, controller has got me for now. i've heard also that i shouldn't have had to run the bind all for my xbox360 controller but i did have to. seems like it is not recognized as an xbox 360 but as a generic xinput. could all this be because i'm using the latest nightly build?

It could be because of the nightly but I have no idea.

To get your analog stick working in PS1 games when you have a game loaded bring up the quick menu by either pressing F1 on the keyboard or the XBox button on your controller, then go to controls. Change User 1 Device Type to Dual Analog.

To exit the games using the controller you can either use Launchboxs Controller Automation feature if you have the premium version. If not you can bring up the quick menu and and exit Retroarch using the Retroarch menu.

Another tip if you haven't done so already turn on the Per Core settings in the Configuration settings.

hmm, i tried another game and it worked (except not knowing how to exist with controller). 2Xtreme didn't seem to work with the controller but Battle Arena Toshinden worked. strange.

i have LB premium. how do i exit with that? you mean set hold this button and button 8 for close active window??

if i set device type to dual analog as you described is it just for that game i'm in or all? can i set that for all games and all emulators?

i launched RA but i can't find Configuration settings for per core?

thanks!

Go to the cogwheel looking menu at the top then go down til you see "Configuration" in there is the config per core setting.

Yes with the hold button and button 8. Whatever you have your set to should close RA as well.

If you have it set to dual analog it should be fine for every game anyways since the dual analog controller used the dpad as well.

Yes it does. I only use the stable builds and just update the cores.

I would just delete the Retroarch folder you have and start fresh since you are only just starting out.

I also label my Retroarch installs by version number such as "Retroarch 1.3.6" and then when a new stable build comes out I put that in a new folder with the version name. This way if a new version is broke in some way I can easily revert back to my old install.