LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch?

ckp

1 hour ago, lordmonkus said:

Wii and Gamecube like PS2 you only have one option and that is Dolphin right now.

Ok, so this means Dolphin is not offered as a "core" with RA and you can only run dolphin stand alone, correct?

I'm not so clear about using MAME stand alone or in RA core. So, for MAME(or arcade mame) games, all I've really used so far is out of box stand alone MAME and it seems ok on my 1080p screen, whether vertical or horizontal. I'd like it to look better but just haven't got into the crazy config details yet in MAME. 

I think for MAME I'd just go with whatever works and is easy. If it looks good and I don't have to do much research to maek it look good, that's a big plus. 

From all the comments it sounds as if using the mame core in RA I will have controller irritations, bad vertical gaming, etc. 

I was hoping RA might be a way for me to not have to use Xpadder anymore for my games and would allow my xbox360 controllers to just work in all my emulated games, which would also be good so I wouldn't have to keep exiting Xpadder and starting it back up when flipping between playing emulated games and regualr PC games(where i don't want Xpadder).

Now I'm not sure if I should just:

- keep my existing setup of Launchbox/Rocketlauncher (where everything seems to work as it uses stand alone emulators, but may not be the best looking configs?)

- go full on LB without RL as the launcher, but still use all the stand alone emulators that I'm already using with RL.

- drop RL, use LB for all launching of stand alones, but have LB use RA for certain platforms emulations

The 5 reasons to use RA posted by @lordmonkus looked really good, but now it seems my most used platforms/games would not be from platforms that are best inside of RA anyway  =/

Oh the choices...want to keep things simple and games looking good without a lot of emulator and shader research configuration or a huge amount of my time setting it all up. It's highly unlikely I will ever want to customize on a game by game basis either. 

Correct, Dolphin is just it's own stand alone emulator right now. I believe there are plans to have a Retroarch core somewhere down the road but that is a ways away still.

The best way to get Mame looking better is using either GLSL or HLSL shaders.

Lol. I can't and won't even try to tell you what to do about Launchbox and Rocketlauncher but you can keep using both. Just for the record though I do not use Rocketlauncher because I do not care about the extras it brings such as bezels, load and pause screens.

I would say if you are comfortable with Rocketlauncher keep using it, you can still use Retroarch through it if you wanted anyways so you won't be losing out if you want to use RA.

What exactly are you using Xpadder for ? I have Xpadder installed but I use it very little if ever outside of Daphne or an oddball game that doesn't have controller support.

@lordmonkus, so basically not so long ago I was super excited about a usb drive that my good friend gave me, which was preconfigured with Hyperspin and Rocketlauncher and TONS of platforms and game roms. I started using it and couldn't believe how cool this was. Some emulators didn't work quite right or at all on my computer (they did on the same drive on his computer), so I started figuring out how to find the emulators for the platforms in RL and learning how to tweak them to work on my specific computer and in some cases look better by changing video settings in the stand alone emulators. I am by no means expert with Rocketlauncher/Hyperspin and in fact I didn't like it and was super excited when I heard about Launchbox. So I added Launchbox to this usb drive with RL as a starting point, since RL was already set up and allowed me to use LB as the front end (baby steps).

But now, I would like to start a new (second) LB install, using  my existing stand alone emulators (and RA if it is good for me), roms, and media on my usb drive. But no Rocketlauncher if possible. 

Hence it has lead me to this thread as I am trying to figure things out more so I know what is the best setup for me.

Why do I use Xpadder? Well, because my friend said he already had all the emulators setup to work with my xbox360 controllers via Xpadder with the custom Xpadder profile he setup.

So, if I don't run Xpadder, I "think" it means most, all, or many of my emulated games will not work until I go and change controller setup in all these emulators, unless some of them just plain work out of box with two xbox360 controllers even with my current controller config setup to use xbox360/Xpadder.

Besides that, my x-arcade dual joystick also works with my setup since it has been programmed with the same keys that Xpadder is using for the xbox360 controller.

Ideally I would like to be able to use two xbox360 controllers or my x-arcade (where it makes sense, not all consoles will be good with x-arcade) across all my games and not need Xpadder. Don't know if this is possible though.

It currently works ok this like this (maybe not optimal?), except that I need to close Xpadder when running my regular modern PC games since they include native xbox360 controller support or just keyboard/mouse.

You can definitely setup a 2nd 3rd 4th .... install of LB that is something many users have setup There are more than a few emulators that have xinput support native RetroArch especially and controllers just work although the hotkey binding needs to be setup separately in RA many of the emulators you would have to config the controls but it isn't that hard and it is better than using a unnecessary 3rd party app at least in my opinion.

was hoping things could be setup and just work on all at that point. since there seem to be some emulators that will need Xpadder, it seems easier to just always runs Xpadder so you can launch any game and have it work instead of having to launch it manually for every emulator that needs it and then exit Xpadder when moving to the next game that doesnt require it  =/

my goal is that i can let some kids play anything they see in LB with xbox360 or x-arcade (except PC games) and not have to know anything other than how to select games and play and exit back to LB. from what i hear so far, Xpadder is the only way to do that?

Yeah, having a setup where you can choose whether to use one of 2 Xbox 360 controllers or the X-Arcade stick is going to be tricky without Xpadder and Rocketlauncher does handle that kind of setup better.

As far as emulators that "require" Xpadder the only ones I have seen is Daphne or some Taito Type-X stuff but all the main stuff does not.

Emulation is one of those things where if you keep your set up simple it can be simple but the more deeper you go into all the weird and obscure emulators you have to deal with their quirks, there just isn't a way around that unfortunately.

So I downloaded the latest nightly build of RA. I launched it. Their web page says to go here to get cores: Online Updater->Core Updater. 

Core Updater does not exist there. Maybe I don't know how to select Online Updater? All I can do there is hit the right arrow key which brings me to a menu without Core Updater. I've tried hitting Enter, xbox360 start/A/Back but nothing looks like it's actually selecting Online Updater, haha.

I cannot find any place in RA to add cores. Sheesh.  =/

Edited by ckp

Seems navigation just doesn't work. I managed to double click mouse on Online Updater and finally saw Core Updater 2048, but now I can't get out of there. And every time I try double click back arrows it flashes something about a download. So I keep deleting the entire RA folder and unzip again to start clean.

The interface seems absolutely awful =/

holy cow. figured it out. it didn't have my xbox360 setup i guess so i had to use the odd keyboard mappings to bind all for my 360 and frantically read each prompt for assigning each 360 button. think i got it assigned. 

35 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Is your controller a wireless or wired ? Mine is wired and Retroarch just auto detects and and everything works without having to do a single thing. I think wireless controllers need to be turned on before the first loading of RA.

Its wired. Guess the nightly is busted. Dont no. At least it works now. I will be trying to get the cores i want soon and then setup with a clean Launchbox install