LaunchBox Community Forums

Can I get a list Please.

thadoughboy15

Hi guys, 

Been a minute for me. The only reason I havent been around is because I didnt have the system to do everything I wanted to do. but, I have been tuning in to every episode on the youtube and some of the live streams. 

But anyhow,

The question I have is, Can I get a Emulator List from one of some of you good ppl?

I know some ppl may have issues with this because they feel they are doing something wrong but, I dont see the issue really but, All I really need is a list of emulators from one of guys with an extensive Library.

I dont need a list of games or anything like that. 

A picture of your Launchbox Emulators List would be fine; and it wont take up much of you guys time to take a screenshot or two. 

I just need a starting place and after that I can make my own decisions from that point on. 

I know some of you guys especially the older guys have knowledge on some older, classic systems that me (As a Younger Guy) Dont even know about.

So A list would be awesome. and thats all I need. 

I will be back with more interaction for sure. Im just behind the curve because I am building a new gaming PC that will be perfect and will be my Emulation Monster!!!

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help. 

- Thadoughboy15

On 9/7/2016 at 9:05 AM, thadoughboy15 said:

@alexis524 Thanks so much. That is perfect. And exactly what i am looking for. Thank you so oooooo much.... 

That list is actually missing quite a few emulators (and really simulators I suppose) that are some of the most important milestones in gaming history. 

Frankly, I don't know why these (the emulators I'm about to list) are so unknown and seldom referenced on here as they're all in decent working order and I'd hope someone with more know how than me figures out how to run the games straight from launchbox rather than their gui (mvem works fine through launchbox). 

Odysim is a Magnavox Odyssey simulator that even includes a lot if not most of the tv screen films and accessories.  The original Odyssey came out in 1972 and is literally the first home video gaming console and predates even Pong which is its direct progeny.  You can find it here although you'll need another player to really use it.

http://odysim.blogspot.com/

Mvem is the only fully working Microvision emulator and works just fine through launchbox as is.  Just like the original Odyssey, the Microvision is the first of its kind, in this case the very first handheld gaming console with multiple cartridges predating the Gameboy by 10 years (1979).  While it's display was quite limited, they were far more complex than the early game and watch and other handheld or tabletop games of its era.  Just download this file emulator-win.zip on the index as it has the emulator as well as all 12 of the original games plus two homebrews.  

http://www.studio2.org.uk/studio2/mv/

DICE is a simulator of the "discrete logic games" from the 70s that predate the microchip and software, literally the entire game was run with hardware.  Pong is the famous example and works great on DICE but they're ever so slowly adding more discrete logic games over the years.

http://adamulation.blogspot.com/

Those are the important/historical systems that are usually missing from people's collections and I wish had more support/instruction from launchbox. 

But there are some others that are frequently missing from the usual list of NES, MAME, Genesis, PSX etc... playlists. 

For example, Winarcadia is an emulator that not only emulates the Emerson Arcadia 2001 which was an Atari 2600/Intellivision competitor that failed here but spawned at least 30 clones worldwide including the first Bandai console that had the earliest Gundam, Doraemon, and Macross/Robotech games (which are surprisingly good considering their age).  In addition to the Arcadia and its many clones including the Bandai console, it also emulates early computers like the Elektor TV Games Computer (1979), the PHUNSY computer (1980) and the Interton VC 4000 video game console and its many clones.  You can find the emulator here

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Emu/WinArcadia.shtml

Another relatively obscure emulator I wish launchbox gave more support to is the VCC an emulator of the Tandy/Motorola TRS-80 Color Computer aksi known as the "CoCo" circa 1980.  Not only am I partial to it, as its the home computer I personally grew up with as a little tot, BUT it has a couple of important milestones.  Dungeons of Daggorath is basically the first real time, first person rpg in existence.  There were some earlier attempts but they were for mainframe computers and while they looked similar had limited or no variety in monsters and equipment while DoD had a healthy selection of both AND the very first example of a "health meter" utilized through a really cool and innovative at the time heartbeat measure.  Downland is another innovator, the first real multistage platform game long before SuperMario was out.  DinoWars was the first "fighting" game to utilize 3 dimensions and there are lots of other neat original games like Poltergeist, Stellar Lifeline, Temple of Rom, Doubleback, and Canyon Climber plus lots of ripooff clones of more famous games like Polaris (Missile Command), Slay the Nereis (Millipede), Microbes (Asteroids), Popcorn (Kaboom), Clowns and Balloons (Clowns), Shooting Gallery (Carnival) and more.  You can find the VCC emulator here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcce/

Another old computer emulator inexplicably not shown enough love here or anywhere else really is the Classic99 emulator which emulates the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A circa 1981.  It was in practically every school in the early and mid 80s due to contracts between Texas Instruments and the government just like the Apple 2s.  Unlike the Coco, I can't say any of the games are really groundbreaking but I can say that Hunt the Wumpus is one of my all time favorite puzzle games and each game only takes a couple of minutes so it's a great short time killer.  And Parsec is a pretty nice older nut fast paced sidescrolling shooter.  You can find the Classic 99 here.

http://www.harmlesslion.com/cgi-bin/showprog.cgi?search=Classic99

Finally, another obscure emulator that may be closer to your younger heart is PokeMini which is an emulator of Nintendo's biggest bomb...no not the less obscure Virtual Boy, but the tiny almost microscopic handheld console, the Pokemon Mini.  Most games were not released in the US or in English but the diehard fans have translated most of the games so you can easily find English patched roms of all of the games. It's quite a neat little handheld and after seeing it, my wife made me by her a real tiny little green console with all of the games plus a cart to import the English patched games onto it.  You probably don't have to go THAT far...but Pokemon Race is a nice little endless runner that is the long ago predecessor to the Super Mario Run App just advertised at the Apple showcase today.  You can find the PokeMini here.

http://www.pokemon-mini.net/emulators/

Now as far as Launchbox integration, PokeMini, Winarcadia and MVEM work just find by launching the roms with the emulator.  But I haven't discovered how to run Classic99, VCC, Odysim or DICE directly through launchbox TO the games.  Without the proper command lines it just takes you to the GUIs.  Hopefully someone here can help me out.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2016 at 0:21 AM, tribe1l said:

That list is actually missing quite a few emulators (and really simulators I suppose) that are some of the most important milestones in gaming history. 

Frankly, I don't know why these (the emulators I'm about to list) are so unknown and seldom referenced on here as they're all in decent working order and I'd hope someone with more know how than me figures out how to run the games straight from launchbox rather than their gui (mvem works fine through launchbox). 

Odysim is a Magnavox Odyssey simulator that even includes a lot if not most of the tv screen films and accessories.  The original Odyssey came out in 1972 and is literally the first home video gaming console and predates even Pong which is its direct progeny.  You can find it here although you'll need another player to really use it.

http://odysim.blogspot.com/

Mvem is the only fully working Microvision emulator and works just fine through launchbox as is.  Just like the original Odyssey, the Microvision is the first of its kind, in this case the very first handheld gaming console with multiple cartridges predating the Gameboy by 10 years (1979).  While it's display was quite limited, they were far more complex than the early game and watch and other handheld or tabletop games of its era.  Just download this file emulator-win.zip on the index as it has the emulator as well as all 12 of the original games plus two homebrews.  

http://www.studio2.org.uk/studio2/mv/

DICE is a simulator of the "discrete logic games" from the 70s that predate the microchip and software, literally the entire game was run with hardware.  Pong is the famous example and works great on DICE but they're ever so slowly adding more discrete logic games over the years.

http://adamulation.blogspot.com/

Those are the important/historical systems that are usually missing from people's collections and I wish had more support/instruction from launchbox. 

But there are some others that are frequently missing from the usual list of NES, MAME, Genesis, PSX etc... playlists. 

For example, Winarcadia is an emulator that not only emulates the Emerson Arcadia 2001 which was an Atari 2600/Intellivision competitor that failed here but spawned at least 30 clones worldwide including the first Bandai console that had the earliest Gundam, Doraemon, and Macross/Robotech games (which are surprisingly good considering their age).  In addition to the Arcadia and its many clones including the Bandai console, it also emulates early computers like the Elektor TV Games Computer (1979), the PHUNSY computer (1980) and the Interton VC 4000 video game console and its many clones.  You can find the emulator here

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Emu/WinArcadia.shtml

Another relatively obscure emulator I wish launchbox gave more support to is the VCC an emulator of the Tandy/Motorola TRS-80 Color Computer aksi known as the "CoCo" circa 1980.  Not only am I partial to it, as its the home computer I personally grew up with as a little tot, BUT it has a couple of important milestones.  Dungeons of Daggorath is basically the first real time, first person rpg in existence.  There were some earlier attempts but they were for mainframe computers and while they looked similar had limited or no variety in monsters and equipment while DoD had a healthy selection of both AND the very first example of a "health meter" utilized through a really cool and innovative at the time heartbeat measure.  Downland is another innovator, the first real multistage platform game long before SuperMario was out.  DinoWars was the first "fighting" game to utilize 3 dimensions and there are lots of other neat original games like Poltergeist, Stellar Lifeline, Temple of Rom, Doubleback, and Canyon Climber plus lots of ripooff clones of more famous games like Polaris (Missile Command), Slay the Nereis (Millipede), Microbes (Asteroids), Popcorn (Kaboom), Clowns and Balloons (Clowns), Shooting Gallery (Carnival) and more.  You can find the VCC emulator here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vcce/

Another old computer emulator inexplicably not shown enough love here or anywhere else really is the Classic99 emulator which emulates the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A circa 1981.  It was in practically every school in the early and mid 80s due to contracts between Texas Instruments and the government just like the Apple 2s.  Unlike the Coco, I can't say any of the games are really groundbreaking but I can say that Hunt the Wumpus is one of my all time favorite puzzle games and each game only takes a couple of minutes so it's a great short time killer.  And Parsec is a pretty nice older nut fast paced sidescrolling shooter.  You can find the Classic 99 here.

http://www.harmlesslion.com/cgi-bin/showprog.cgi?search=Classic99

Finally, another obscure emulator that may be closer to your younger heart is PokeMini which is an emulator of Nintendo's biggest bomb...no not the less obscure Virtual Boy, but the tiny almost microscopic handheld console, the Pokemon Mini.  Most games were not released in the US or in English but the diehard fans have translated most of the games so you can easily find English patched roms of all of the games. It's quite a neat little handheld and after seeing it, my wife made me by her a real tiny little green console with all of the games plus a cart to import the English patched games onto it.  You probably don't have to go THAT far...but Pokemon Race is a nice little endless runner that is the long ago predecessor to the Super Mario Run App just advertised at the Apple showcase today.  You can find the PokeMini here.

http://www.pokemon-mini.net/emulators/

Now as far as Launchbox integration, PokeMini, Winarcadia and MVEM work just find by launching the roms with the emulator.  But I haven't discovered how to run Classic99, VCC, Odysim or DICE directly through launchbox TO the games.  Without the proper command lines it just takes you to the GUIs.  Hopefully someone here can help me out.

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the info. I will exam it deeply for sure. I need @SentaiBrad to just screenshot his Launchbox emulators list and everything will be right as rain. LOL. He has an incredible library. 

• Like 1

Sure, no problem. Some of my emulators need updating, but this is what I use in various ways, and it's actually mostly RetroArch. Also, the reason why I never talk about those specific emulators or systems, is because I honestly don't want to play them. I've got loaded up what I've made tutorials for, what I will make tutorials for, and what I want to play. MESS can also cover some of the more obscure stuff all in one. I cracked MESS a while back and made a tutorial on the channel about it if you're curious for some of the most obscure stuff that doesn't have standalones.

List of emulators: DsoLB67.png

RetroArch Cores: wkrsPDQ.png

jAJ3r8t.png

Mess Cores: v1gRENc.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

Sure, no problem. Some of my emulators need updating, but this is what I use in various ways, and it's actually mostly RetroArch. Also, the reason why I never talk about those specific emulators or systems, is because I honestly don't want to play them. I've got loaded up what I've made tutorials for, what I will make tutorials for, and what I want to play. MESS can also cover some of the more obscure stuff all in one. I cracked MESS a while back and made a tutorial on the channel about it if you're curious for some of the most obscure stuff that doesn't have standalones.

List of emulators: DsoLB67.png

RetroArch Cores: wkrsPDQ.png

jAJ3r8t.png

Mess Cores: v1gRENc.png

WOOOOOO!!! THANKS @SentaiBrad I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. I JUST WANT TO HAVE A GREAT LIST, SO IM NEVER BORED. LOL, THANKS SO MUCH. I CN GET TO WORK ON THIS NOW. :) 

2 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Sure, of course. It's also worth pointing out that the MESS cores for RetroArch, I don't use. I either use an emulator alternate or the actual MESS software it's self instead of the core.

Quoting this for the truth.

Avoid the Retroarch Mess core and use either Mame or a separate Mess install.

I use a separate Mess install just to keep things more organized and simplified and avoid any possible headaches and damaging my Mame setup.

• Like 1

Yea, that's part of the reason I use standalone MESS too. You also don't need MAME/MESS specific rom sets either. I used my regular roms in their regular location just fine. The only standalone emulators, now that I think about it, that I use are ScummVM, DosBox, MESS, PPSSPP and Desmume. I also have Taito Type X working, except that it's not emulated so it doesn't count. PCSX2, Dolphin, CEMU and Citra are still the go to because they're not in RetroArch, and even if they were I would honestly doubt how great they would be given how specific and specialized they are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Quoting this for the truth.

Avoid the Retroarch Mess core and use either Mame or a separate Mess install.

I use a separate Mess install just to keep things more organized and simplified and avoid any possible headaches and damaging my Mame setup.

Yeah, mame is a headache In itself IMO. You have to have the right version of the rom with the right right version of MAME and sometimes a simple spelling error can prevent the genres from starting. Its crazy.

I to look at some tutorials on the MESS stuff. I'm not too familiar with that. 

There is quite a lot of leeway with rom version and Mame version. It doesn't necessarily have to be exact. I have stated in previous threads that I use a 151 rom set with a 174 version of Mame without issues.

Mess isn't all that bad once you wrap your head around the way it works but I found it easier to set a stand alone version than trying to use Mame.

With the stand alone just dump the necessary bios files in the \roms folder in Mess. Make sure your mess.ini rompath is set to where your actual game roms are and then it's a case of the correct command switches which varies from system to system. Brads screenshot above really shows off the main stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I use stand alone MESS but I just set up the directory to point to my MAME ROMs file for all of the bios files and then add additional directories for what ever system's games I am trying to emulate.

Yea, that's pretty much what I do. I edit the roms folder to look at MAME, then import my games in to LaunchBox like any other system (not specific MESS Rom sets).