LaunchBox Community Forums

Can I get a list Please.

thadoughboy15

If you had the list files it would be pretty easy to have it parse them all instead of just the two though and who knows in 2 or 3 years time maybe MAME will be everyone go to method even for most consoles especially if they get even more accurate on even more systems only time will tell I know one thing grabbing software list is a pretty simple way of grabbing all games for mostly all systems all at one time except that the naming screws everything up. If they were to be parsed it would also give users the option to exclude all clones hacks pirates and other things in the software list or even add the option to add these things automatically as additional apps.

On 9/10/2016 at 2:05 AM, SentaiBrad said:

Sure, no problem. Some of my emulators need updating, but this is what I use in various ways, and it's actually mostly RetroArch. Also, the reason why I never talk about those specific emulators or systems, is because I honestly don't want to play them. I've got loaded up what I've made tutorials for, what I will make tutorials for, and what I want to play. MESS can also cover some of the more obscure stuff all in one. I cracked MESS a while back and made a tutorial on the channel about it if you're curious for some of the most obscure stuff that doesn't have standalones.

From what I've read in the past, MESS/MAME will never be properly covering the Magnavox Odyssey, Milton Bradley Microvision or the games covered in DICE because there's no software to emulate just hardware that must be simulated and MESS/MAME are purposefully refusing to simulate those hardware type of games aka the first generation games/consoles.  It's more important that they get preserved from a historical perspective, but some of those very old games are fun with friends in short dosages.  No one is going to have a marathon four hour session of Computer Space, Odyssey Table Tennis or Space Race like people did before I was born, but it's pretty neat to pull up and goof around for a couple of minutes.  Plus if you're a collector...you've got to have them all.

@tribe1lI've never heard of any of those but based on some reading Dice should work by simply setting it up as an emulator in LB and then checking the "don't use quotes" and "use file name only without file extension" check boxes assuming your roms are named the way it's looking for (like pong.zip for example). Launching it like that would send a command line of [emulator] pong which is what it should be looking for.

...Dice now has to be run from the command line, using the following format:

dice gamename options

Where "gamename" is the name of the game to be run (pong, rebound, or gotcha), and options is any number of optional command line switches.

• Like 1

From the VCC manual pdf:

The MenuBar 
The MenuBar resides across the top of the VCC window. Here you’ll find the various functions of the VCC
emulator. All of VCC’s options start here. No command line parameters are needed (or wanted).

That's not exactly a good sign. There might be a way to get it to work but normally my first step is looking to see what you can do with it through command line - that's normally the easiest route.

Have you tried MESS for this out of curiosity?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

From the VCC manual pdf:

That's not exactly a good sign. There might be a way to get it to work but normally my first step is looking to see what you can do with it through command line - that's normally the easiest route.

Have you tried MESS for this out of curiosity?

I did try it in MESS but I couldn't get even the cartridges to work let alone the disks and tapes.  VCC is the only Coco emulator I've found (and there are a lot for some reason) which works for 90+% of the rom dumps.  So far it works with 100% of the cartridges and probably about 80% of the cartridges and tapes.

But I will freely admit I am not an expert at the MESS.  I followed the launchbox tutorial on MESS for the Atari 5200 and it worked fine, but then when I tried to do it with the Coco it doesn't do anything. 

3 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

@tribe1lI've never heard of any of those but based on some reading Dice should work by simply setting it up as an emulator in LB and then checking the "don't use quotes" and "use file name only without file extension" check boxes assuming your roms are named the way it's looking for (like pong.zip for example). Launching it like that would send a command line of [emulator] pong which is what it should be looking for.

That DOES work if you use the cpp files under the games folder not the roms themselves.  But using the cpp files as the rom and using "don't use quotes" and "use file name only without file extension" worked perfectly and seems to work for all of them (at least the four I just tried).

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 3:28 PM, Zombeaver said:

If you send me your paypal I'll shoot you a $20 gift for your assistance on the DICE as that's working great thanks to your advice and some advice that you had to have the TTL roms dumped on a certain flightless bird heaven website and then rename them to match the DICE preferred name perfectly.  Just send it to my name at hotmail as I use that for junk mail but I'll check it the next couple of days.

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2016 at 6:25 AM, RetroArcade said:

Mine has one entry, rocketlauncher

Commiserations. And plenty of them ;-) ;-)

commiseration
kəˌmɪzəˈreɪʃn/
noun
plural noun: commiserations
  1. sympathy and sorrow for the misfortunes of others; compassion.
    "the other actors offered him clumsy commiseration"
    synonyms: condolences, sympathy, pity, comfort, solace, consolation; More

• expressions of sympathy and sorrow for another.
      "our commiserations to those who didn't win"
Edited by JamesBond@ge

On 9/9/2016 at 5:21 AM, tribe1l said:

Finally, another obscure emulator that may be closer to your younger heart is PokeMini which is an emulator of Nintendo's biggest bomb...no not the less obscure Virtual Boy, but the tiny almost microscopic handheld console, the Pokemon Mini.  Most games were not released in the US or in English but the diehard fans have translated most of the games so you can easily find English patched roms of all of the games. It's quite a neat little handheld and after seeing it, my wife made me by her a real tiny little green console with all of the games plus a cart to import the English patched games onto it.  You probably don't have to go THAT far...but Pokemon Race is a nice little endless runner that is the long ago predecessor to the Super Mario Run App just advertised at the Apple showcase today.  You can find the PokeMini here.

http://www.pokemon-mini.net/emulators/

Thanks for this bro. PokeMini is just what I was after. Sorry I can't help with the obscure stuff you mentioned.

***Edit.....It's looks like the lovely Zombie Beaver already did help.

Edited by JamesBond@ge

• 4 years later...
On 9/7/2016 at 4:30 AM, Lordmonkus said:

Here's my list, there is quite a bit in there that isn't actually in use but I just just haven't removed them from the list. I leave them in there for testing purposes at times or for specific games.

emu list.jpgHmm.. zdoom as a emulator.. does that mean you then apply wads or megawads as 'roms' and just start them and they launch through Zdoom?

• 2 weeks later...

hm.. though that makes no sense from a Doom/wad perspective..
saves are handled natively within gzdoom/doom so it should not be a problem. I think it's the command line that is the key to make it work well, it needs to simply to -wad 'megawad' or any wad for that matter - but I haven't tried it myself yet. I'll likely look at it once I get the retro games done :D Because it seem very nice to be able to list my Doom wads with info and art in a simple to use manner rather than using ZDL like I do today - which is all text gui

I have about 100 different instances of GZDoom. Separate ones for each WAD.

Inside each folder, I have the shortcut file with the command lines and it's those shortcuts that I import into LaunchBox.

It's kinda cumbersome, and I'm sure I could save space by not having so many GZDoom's lol