LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

3 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Uncheck the Don't Use Quotes and Use File Name Only boxes and see if that fixes it for you, those shouldn't be checked for Mame.

Did that and it didn't work. I deleted the MAMEUI one, closed LB, opened it and try again with the other MAME64 one and still got that error msg.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If you have changed the emulator path you will need to bulk edit your Roms and point to your new mame path.

I just did that and linked to the ROM folders that I have in the MAME dir and it says...

LBError3.gif

And before you ask me, in the MAME>>ROM dir, I have 60+ game zips.

Are you sure the 7.4 version is solid?

I mean this is basic stuff here. It's just a browse button that links to an exe file which works fine when I click on the exe directly.

Edited by MerlinArcade

1 minute ago, MerlinArcade said:

I just did that and linked to the ROM folders that I have in the MAME dir and it says...

LBError3.gif

Are you sure the 7.4 version is solid?

I mean this is basic stuff here. It's just a browse linking to an exe file which works fine when I click on the exe directly.

That is a import you tried in that image, your games are already imported right? So click on one of your mame roms in lunchbox then control a to highlight them all then right click and choose edit, then from the drop down choose emulator then your mame emulator.

Ok let's see if I got it right...

I highlighted all the game like this... selected Emulator in the field to change then selected MAME in the value...

LBError4.gifThen clicked Next and landed there..

LBError5.gifI clicked No, no need to make more changes and then clicked next.

Finally I clicked on Ms. Pac Man and got this error popup.

LBError6.gifGrrrr...

8 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Do your games load with Mame on its own ?

Yeah, that's what I said in my 1st post. I click on Mame.exe to launch it then see my list of games and then if I click on Ms. Pac Man it starts.

I just noticed now that since the Bulk change, when I do a right click on Ms Pacman I see the option to open up MAME and when I click on it, it opens so at least now LB links correctly to MAME.

LBError7.gif

And as you can see Ms Pac Man is well installed in MAME.

LBError8.gifHowever, when I right click on the game and click on PLAY it doesn't load the game so we're getting close here: :-D

Edited by MerlinArcade

19 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

The only thing I could suggest is to re-import them. It shouldn't take long as you don't need to download media as you already have it.

Ok so these are the screenshots of the steps I did to re-import my games..

LBError9.gifLBError10.gifLBError11.gifLBError12.gifLBError13.gifLBError14.gif
LBError15.gifAnd believe it or not, after all this.. I still get this "0 games were imported" msg.

LBError16.gif

Any suggestions?

Edited by MerlinArcade

Remove all the games from your Arcade platform and then re-import.

Just removing the games won't get rid of the media and meta data so when you do the reimport you can uncheck all the scraping and that will drastically speed up the import process. Simply re-importing over top of what is there won'r work because Launchbox thinks those games are already there and doesn't import.

To re-import you will need to delete them first, same process as before highlight them all right click and delete. When you import now it will work, remember when it asks to download all the media to "select none" as you already have the media from your previous import, this will also make the import much quicker as no downloading is required.

What @lordmonkus said, beat me to it. :) 

Edited by neil9000