LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch FAQ

Lordmonkus

Thanks for the information.

Now I have retroarch in my snail w3d with a lot of console playlist with thumbnails.

In android some games don't work. For example Killer Instinct and The Crystal of kings in windows version, same rom with same core (MAME 0.174) works great, but in android the rom start loading but after few seconds the app crash.

Have you ewer tried those games on android?

Thanks

I found the solution for The crystal of kings. In the libretro forum I found mame 2010 core for android that i can't find in the online updater of retroarch

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5HuG10h5HbnbC1vSTEyb2xhOGM/view

you have to extract and put the file in data/data/com.retroarch/cores then you will see the mame 2010 core on retroarch.

You need root access to go in that folder. I hope this can help someone

• 5 months later...

What i would like to see is just not only the "how get started with Retroarch"

But also a turtorial how to set up all possible systems with it - and what names on bios for each system

A setup guide with screen shots step by step would be easier faster than add a youtube clip

Right now im having issues to run commodore 64 and spectrum with retroarch in launchbox but outside it works

Don't think im alone with this

In terms of the command line parameters it is actually quite simple. In the Associated Platforms window for Retroarch in LB you need to have the names of each platform you are going to have Retroarch emulating for you. Then for each platform you will have the command line:

-L "cores\core_name.dll" (inserting the name of the core dll appropriate for the system)

Here is a screen shot of my Retroarch Associated Platforms list.58f7e510788c2_2017-04-1622_21_59-EditEmulator.thumb.png.bd6f4b905bff43edbaae081fa30adf0d.png

To figure out the bios files you need you can either load up a core in RA and view the core info and it will tell you what it is needed, is looking for and if it is there or missing / mismatched. Or you can check this page here and click on each core, it will tell you which cores require bios, what the name of the bios file is and even the MD5 sum.

https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I also did this getting started guide but I did not get into the bios side of things, the guide was meant to be an introduction for people completely new to Retroarch and getting the basics sorted. I guess I maybe should think about an advanced tutorial.

RetroArch can be confusing, but I did create quite a lot of tutorials on the subject if they would help, and Monkus posted his link as well. I did a few tutorials that might be very unassuming, but hold major keys, like the RetroArch Info files tutorial; That's a tutorial on how to find out information on any core by just having RetroArch downloaded. Have a look around the playlist for Systems you might want to try, and RetroArch isn't used for all of them. There are a few systems that I don't think RetroArch is quite up to task for.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6pTDaHeAz-WMcNURVPU-1xLN_TVpT3FB

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

In terms of the command line parameters it is actually quite simple. In the Associated Platforms window for Retroarch in LB you need to have the names of each platform you are going to have Retroarch emulating for you. Then for each platform you will have the command line:

-L "cores\core_name.dll" (inserting the name of the core dll appropriate for the system)

Here is a screen shot of my Retroarch Associated Platforms list.58f7e510788c2_2017-04-1622_21_59-EditEmulator.thumb.png.bd6f4b905bff43edbaae081fa30adf0d.png

To figure out the bios files you need you can either load up a core in RA and view the core info and it will tell you what it is needed, is looking for and if it is there or missing / mismatched. Or you can check this page here and click on each core, it will tell you which cores require bios, what the name of the bios file is and even the MD5 sum.

https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

I also did this getting started guide but I did not get into the bios side of things, the guide was meant to be an introduction for people completely new to Retroarch and getting the basics sorted. I guess I maybe should think about an advanced tutorial.

Thanks, that part with Default command line Parameters i have understood, if i set up a new system i go to retro arch add new core go to core folder copy that .dll to the command file

Didn't know about the bios that way

But i have some issues with some systems

I can run commodore 64 spectrum with retroarch outside launchbox but with launchbox retroarch will not run

And what is best, should roms be zipped or unzipped depending what system?

Unzipped almost always, especially since some systems don't run games that way. If the core wont launch, I would be willing to bet the command line parameter or the name is off. The name on that list also needs to match exactly to what you called it. I haven't had much time with the C64 in RetroArch either, but that wouldn't be my first place to for for C64 actually. I should look in to that a bit more.

7 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I cannot comment on the C-64 and Spectrum, I have never set them up at all, sorry. If you have it working outside though then it is most likely a setting in LB setting.

When i run retro i only have to load content pick rom choose fuse vice and it is done

Some systems like commodore and spectrum i prefer retroarch becouse its easier to setup controlls on keyboard do it playable

Edited by Zeaede

To neil9000 wrote whipe and clean for you sir - You forgot this thread is a RETROARCH FAQ do you know what FAQ means? What i was requesting im not alone about! And how difficult is it to do screenshots for configurations to show it for others to show how  configuraitons should be? The issue with the video turtorials is that many turtorials not contain RETROARCH it shows how to set up Launchbox with OTHER alternative emulators, get it?

Edited by Zeaede

Actually, a lot of our tutorials (that I recorded until ETA) showcase the best choice, and a few alternate choices. Sometimes this is RetroArch, sometimes it isn't (or is in version 1, but not in version 2, or it's not RA in version 1 but is in version 2 of a tutorial). However, lets leave Neil's comment behind, I removed it for a reason and would love to move past that. It was a mistake, and lets go from there.

Like i suggested erlier post,  2-3 screenshots for every system RA can handle setup with LB could be pinned and easy to update

Maybe a 3rd screenshots over the bios how they should be label and where to store them

The screenshots with associated platform would save time both with Retroarch and alternative emulators which have a different setup

LB1.jpg

LB2.jpg

Edited by Zeaede

All that information is there, you just gotta know where to look for it. The Core Info files hold all the BIOS info and I did a tutorial on that. RetroArch, when you add it, there is the defaults and that shows you what core to use (though those need to be updated really bad). I'm sure this information will be added to our Wiki, but the info already exists. I've also made, I don't know how many posts describing and explaining it. The default emulator and associated platform parameters for MAME and RetroArch still need to be updated regardless. I made a doc of everything that needs to be updated, Jason just needs to implement it.

• 11 months later...