LaunchBox Community Forums

Religion

kerszr

I believe in the banana.

The banana argument is a specific teleological argument for theism based on the form and function of natural objects - specifically in this case, the banana. According to Ray Comfort, the banana is "the atheist's nightmare"; as he considers its ease of use, nutritional value and "colour-coding" to be irrefutable proof of intelligent design.

The argument for the banana being designed is based on the following characteristics:

• The banana is shaped to fit into the human hand.
  • It comes with a protective, non-slip surface to hold, which is also biodegradable and sits "gracefully" over the human hand.
  • It is curved towards the face for ease of consumption and does not squirt in one's face during the act.
  • There is a "pull tab" at the "top" for easy access.
  • It has a simple colour code to show ripeness: Green; too early. Yellow; just right. Black; too late.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bananas said:

I believe in the banana.

The banana argument is a specific teleological argument for theism based on the form and function of natural objects - specifically in this case, the banana. According to Ray Comfort, the banana is "the atheist's nightmare"; as he considers its ease of use, nutritional value and "colour-coding" to be irrefutable proof of intelligent design.

The argument for the banana being designed is based on the following characteristics:

• The banana is shaped to fit into the human hand.
  • It comes with a protective, non-slip surface to hold, which is also biodegradable and sits "gracefully" over the human hand.
  • It is curved towards the face for ease of consumption and does not squirt in one's face during the act.
  • There is a "pull tab" at the "top" for easy access.
  • It has a simple colour code to show ripeness: Green; too early. Yellow; just right. Black; too late.

Except that the banana was domesticated over thousands of years, thus proving that man is the ultimate Intelligent Designer. 

• Like 1

Question, are we finite or infinite? If we are finite, how can we truly grasp the infinite. Our eyes only see so far. Our minds can only comprehend so much. We are constantly learning more and more each and everyday (if we choose to). If we are to fully comprehend God in absolute sense, then God is under the domain of our natural senses and not truly omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. I think the biggest hurdle for some people is to willingly submit to God out of love in good faith. If we cannot escape the laws of physics, why do we try to escape the laws of spirit?

The banana argument does not "prove" God's existence, nor does it disprove it. However, I disagree with FistyDollars and kerszr. Just because God does not present everything on a silver platter in absolute perfection does not prove the absence of God's existence or God's love. I could rationally say that God provides us with the raw materials, but we must provide the labor, specifically, the fruit of the Spirit (e.g., love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, etc). Now, why would God do that some may ask?

Physical perfection is not the ultimate goal; spiritual perfection is the goal. God uses that which is physically imperfect to shape us into closer approximations of spiritual perfection. Being in a state of longing is very powerful and should not be seen as a punishment. For example, I get more out of a video game's journey (sense of progression) and the longing of a video game's ending then I do the actual ending itself! Enjoy the journey.

I believe the real issue at hand is that some people have a hard time understanding and rationalizing that God is good and the definition of "good." I have no problem whatsoever! However, it is obvious that there are those who are "blind" in a sense. Please do not take the term "blind" as an insult. I must admit, growing up it was hard for me to understand how people can honestly say they cannot understand and/or rationalize God's existence and God's love without thinking they were deceitfully and pure evil. Only recently have I learned how people are greatly shaped by their upbringing and their environment. Hopefully this remotely answers your question.

• Like 2

I think we all owe a death and a life filled with unavoidable and sometimes seemingly meaningless suffering (not exclusively but it's inescapable). I think the manner in which you derive meaning from what is essentially incomprehensible is incidental as long as the meaning is there. I think that meaning is personal, be it God, science, nature, nothingness, or all of the above, and while it can be engaging to share the form with others, the act of sharing is comparable to describing a rainbow to a blind person. You aren't intelligent enough to describe it in such a way that will be understandable to someone who isn't equipped to see it i.e everyone but you. You will never be equipped for that no matter how hard you pray or how many times you read Dawkins. I think this is why attempts at forced conversion or coerced conversion to religions, historically and at present, not only dilute the message but open up the form to being a tool for manipulation by people who fundamentally do not understand/see it. I think this is also why this subject is difficult for a lot of people to talk about with any civility. On the flip side, I think to say there is no God requires the exact leap of faith that people take to say there is one. You don't know. I don't know. I don't think the answer to whether there is or isn't is actually as important as people make it. We all have to internalize the incomprehensible, we do it every day, its part of who we are, and I think what's really important is that people give it each other the space and freedom to do that in the way that makes the most sense to them, without fear of being laughed at, marginalized, or murdered.

You asked.       

• 5 weeks later...

Since you asked, my way of thinking has always been....

The universe is far to vast and almost infinite for us to even comprehend. We all live here on this pale blue dot, and some think have it all figured out. We are all just hovering around a star, that is one star amongst billions of others. All religion was created and curated here on earth by mankind, many years before we even fully understood this concept. I do not feel that any religion has the answer to the ultimate question. I do feel that religion is the product of much wisdom passed down from generations that has positive and even negative effects on society. But, is this universe cold dark and meaningless? Maybe. But, let us think of the most amazing thing that we here on earth understand. "Human Consciousness" Isn't it amazing how in this world that we know, such a thing exists? With the universe being such a vast place, is it in itself conscious? We may never know, and may never understand. All i know is that this universe is a beautiful and wonderous place.

....um yes RETROGAMER FOREVER! 

• 2 weeks later...

i personally respect all religions, as long the religious people tolerate all other religions too. i'm not an atheist, but neither a believer. there is no way to prove the existence of a god, or whether he/she/it doesn't exist. its a shame that there is so much religiously motivated violence around the world, the single thing that makes me dislike the very concept of it sometimes.