LaunchBox Community Forums

Rocket Launcher: A Half-Baked Tutorial + Launchbox Integration

JaysArcade

Due to popular demand, I whipped up a Rocket Launcher tutorial last night. I'm not the best tut creator in the world but I gave it a shot. I think I went over most of the important stuff to help a Rocket Launcher noob get their feet wet. I got so wrapped up in setting up the Rocket Launcher part that I almost forgot to show Launchbox launching a game through RL so I had to go back and add that part at the end. Don't get too excited.

I added several helpful annotations to the video via the Youtube interface which Youtube tells me won't show up if viewing from a mobile device so keep that in mind if viewing this on your phone.

I'm far from being a Rocket Launcher expert but I can get most things to work through it if given enough time. The benefits of using Rocket Launcher for me are the fade screens and the pause screen with save and load state menus. Rocket Launcher also does bezels pretty well, as well as mapping keys through various methods including xpadder, autohotkey, and joy2key. For someone new to frontends and emulators, I personally would skip Rocket Launcher and hope that Jason eventually adds support for some of these features through Launchbox. But, if you can't wait and want all the bells and whistles, or are trying to get a hard (impossible?) to set up system like ScummVM or Future Pinball to work, then Rocket Launcher is currently your best bet.

If you have questions, feel free to ask below. I might not know the answer, but myself or someone else with Rocket Launcher experience can probably point you in the right direction.

Good luck, and happy gaming (or if you are like me, happy system set up-ing). 

Here's a few helpful links.

Pause menu settings: http://www.rlauncher.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pause_Save_and_Load_Menus

Launchbox specific forum on Rocketlauncher website: http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?62-LaunchBox

Rocket Launcher Download page: http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1

Rocket Launcher Base Media Pack download page: http://www.rlauncher.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=2

Edited by jaythompson
Added links
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, jaythompson said:

The benefits of using Rocket Launcher for me are the fade screens and the pause screen with save and load state menus. Rocket Launcher also does bezels pretty well, as well as mapping keys through various methods including xpadder, autohotkey, and joy2key. For someone new to frontends and emulators, I personally would skip Rocket Launcher and hope that Jason eventually adds support for some of these features through Launchbox.

Can you imagine someday if Pause, Fade Screens, Bezels, and the profile mapping based on game database entries (not an .exe) actually became features of LB/BB!!!?!???!  It would be the best ever!

Edited by damageinc86

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.11.2016 at 9:32 PM, jaythompson said:

But, if you can't wait and want all the bells and whistles, or are trying to get a hard (impossible?) to set up system like ScummVM or Future Pinball to work, then Rocket Launcher is currently your best bet.

Wait a second... how do you get ScummVM to work?

I mean I've got it to work in Hyperspin+Rocketlauncher but I have found no convenient way to import all the scummvm games I have in Rocketlauncher to launchbox

Edited by illfated

On 12/9/2016 at 0:45 PM, illfated said:

Wait a second... how do you get ScummVM to work?

I mean I've got it to work in Hyperspin+Rocketlauncher but I have found no convenient way to import all the scummvm games I have in Rocketlauncher to launchbox

I just created a tutorial on how to import ScumVM titles for use with Rocketlauncher and Launchbox. Check it out.