LaunchBox Community Forums

MinimalX

eatkinola

Go to the "View" folder within the theme and edit the view you want to alter the text in. In this example I'll use Platform view 3.

I'll right click and select edit on "PlatformWheel3FiltersView"

Find this part of the the file

Spoiler

<!-- LOGO + VIEW TITLE -->
            <Grid Grid.Column="0" Grid.Row="0" Panel.ZIndex="20"> 
                <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                    <ColumnDefinition Width="310*"/>
                    <ColumnDefinition Width="600*"/>
                    <ColumnDefinition Width="50*" />
                </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
                <Grid.RowDefinitions>
                    <RowDefinition Height="130*"/>
                    <RowDefinition Height="130*"/>
                    <RowDefinition Height="100*"/>
                </Grid.RowDefinitions>
                 <!-- <Viewbox Grid.Column="1" Grid.Row="0" HorizontalAlignment="Center"> -->
                     <!-- <TextBlock Text="-  B I G   B O X  -" Style="{DynamicResource {StaticResource AOAccentTxt}}" /> -->
                 <!-- </Viewbox> -->
                 <!-- <Viewbox Grid.Column="1" Grid.Row="1" HorizontalAlignment="Center"> -->
                     <!-- <TextBlock Text="P L A T F O R M S" Style="{DynamicResource {StaticResource AOAccentTxt}}" /> -->
                 <!-- </Viewbox> -->
            </Grid>

I bolded the text. you can change to whatever you like or just remove it to be blank

• Like 3

1 minute ago, imdavid555 said:

Anyway to increase the size of the clear logo wheel for Platform view 3?

1. Edit PlatformWheel3FiltersView.xaml: Look for these three lines below and delete them:

<coverFlow:FlowControl.OpacityMask>

<ImageBrush ImageSource="{StaticResource AOUriWheelOnlyMask}" />

</coverFlow:FlowControl.OpacityMask>

2. You will also need to edit two PNG images -- please note this will also affect the Game Wheel 3 view:

wheel3-alpha.png: alpha transparancy overlay, contains the logo

wheel3-accents.png: tintable overlay, also contains the logo

Delete the parts of the PNG image you don't want. You need to be sure to save these images as PNG and preserve transparency. I don't think you can use MS Paint to do this. I use a free program called Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP).

• Like 1

@eatkinola

I have an idea that you might consider for a future update. While I was checking out the latest version of the theme, I noticed that box art in the recent games list kinda fades out on the right-hand side and it got me to thinking that it would be cool if it did the same on the left side too. I was imagining the box-art  being on a wheel and it already kinda has that 3Dish effect when you scroll through that list, but it would be pretty cool if that list were a 3D belt-type wheel. Attached an image for reference. Not sure it's reasonable or possible, but wanted to pass it along. And, once again, I love this theme :D

Untitled.png

Hello everyone,

I uploaded a theme variation of  @eatkinola theme titled "Minimal-RetrAO"  with permission from the man himself to share this mod with the community so kudus to eatkinola for granting his blessing and assisting me in finalizing the theme.

Enjoy the nostalgic inducing feel of the 80's and 90's era with bright neons, MORE NEONS, the latest in cinematic VHS and the good Ol' CRT effects that will surely awaken the inner 80's child in you.

More details and screenshots can be found in the download section:

For SUPPORT or SUGGESTIONS feel free to post them on this thread as I prefer to collaborate with eatkinola on the current project and will appreciate all the feedbacks from you into further improving Minimal-RetrAO theme.

-Enjoy

Desktop 01.22.2017 - 03.28.55.01.png

Desktop_01_20_2017_-_21_29_39_08.png

RetrAO 1.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nyny77 said:

How to change the color of the text in the XAML?

As of v4.1, such things are editable using the skins framework. Look in folder "Styles\Skins" -- the "!ACTIVE.xaml" skin is what will be applied by BigBox. Creating a skin and naming it "!ACTIVE.xaml" will apply the skin. The "!DEFAULT.xaml" file contains examples all the elements you can modify. I've attached the PDF if you want more info, but let me know if you run into any trouble.

Minimal-AO-CUSTOMIZE.pdf

• Like 1

Hello,

I uploaded a video showcasing the Minimal-RetrAO in action B|

I'm currently exploring Minimal-AO 4.1 to see how I can utilize the new update features into improving the overall experience of the theme. As you can see the CRT Scanline effect is disable by default in my theme as i'm currently researching if we can implement a more dynamic overlay on top of the videos...

@eatkinola i'm wondering is it possible to add a video overlay on top of existing videos (use .mp4 rather than .png for scanline and vignette effects similar to the current static effect configuration) or is it not possible due to the limitation of the coding?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TerribleThemes said:

I wouldn't call this minimal anymore.

It's called minimal to indicate that it is based on Minimal-AO theme and not its core functionality.. what would you name it if you were the creator?

As I mentioned i'm open for feedback from the community as it will aid in improving the theme.

5 hours ago, SNAK3ATER said:

@eatkinola i'm wondering is it possible to add a video overlay on top of existing videos (use .mp4 rather than .png for scanline and vignette effects similar to the current static effect configuration) or is it not possible due to the limitation of the coding?

Yes, it's possible.  The static effect on "channel changes" is created by an MP4 behind the platform/game vids, and thus you see this MP4 when one platform/game video fades into another as the selected platform/game changes.  Similarly, you could put an MP4 in front of the video and make it translucent, rendered say with an opacity of 0.2 (or something like that).  You might run into performance issues if there are too many videos being rendered at the same time.  What kind of dynamic overlay do you envision, @SNAK3ATER?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Yes, it's possible.  The static effect on "channel changes" is created by an MP4 behind the platform/game vids, and thus you see this MP4 when one platform/game video fades into another as the selected platform/game changes.  Similarly, you could put an MP4 in front of the video and make it translucent, rendered say with an opacity of 0.2 (or something like that).  You might run into performance issues if there are too many videos being rendered at the same time.  What kind of dynamic overlay do you envision, @SNAK3ATER?

@eatkinola Great news man! I'm thinking of having multiple overlay options that can be chosen by the user depending on their mood/usage so for example we can have the old VHS effect overlay on top of classic videos (i.e. User can toggle the VHS overlay ON for 4:3 view and keep the rest of the 16:9 views OFF). Also I'm thinking of including a dynamic scanline (flickering scanlines when viewing CRT from an angle or camera). I believe those can be achieved through a 3-5 seconds translucent video loop made using Adobe After effects (in order to minimize performance issues) but unfortunately I'm not that much familiar with Adobe so I might ask my friends or someone else for assistance.

I also have a couple of ideas that I would like to share with you later :ph34r: 

1 hour ago, Nyny77 said:

Just an idea, a background by system is possible ? A background Nes, Genesis ect...

Thanks

ps : 2 topics ? ^^

@nyny77 That is a good idea my friend! I was already thinking of implementing something similar while exploring Minimal-AO 4.1 and thanks to the new skin features we can go with:

A: Create a theme skin for every era while we grew up that can be selected by the user with the current 80's theme being the default skin (i.e. 90's era skin, Sega vs. Nintendo feud skin, classic  Saturday morning cartoons skin, etc.. I'm looking for suggestions)

B: Replace one of the views or add a 5th view that incorporates a background system (I'm not sure if we can have system specific backgrounds but I would to know if it is possible!)

I'm wondering if we can have Big Box save views by platform (i.e. when user selects classic consoles like Sega Genesis the view automatically enables platform/game wheel view 3 and if the user chooses current systems like Wii or Windows the platform/game wheel view 4 is enabled automatically without us having to toggle for the appropriate view).

ps: The Minimal-RetrAO topic was created automatically when I uploaded the theme but I prefer if we can brainstorm our ideas here as it will benefit both my theme and eatkinola's in the long run ^^

18 hours ago, Nyny77 said:

Just an idea, a background by system is possible ? A background Nes, Genesis ect...

Should be possible.  I'll add to my to-do list for the next update.  Great idea!

9 hours ago, imdavid555 said:

Adding support for Fanart background would be a great start for System specific backgrounds!

Yes indeed.  Thanks again for the feedback!

Edited by eatkinola
  • Like 2