LaunchBox Community Forums

MinimalX

eatkinola

Thanks for the compliment, @BakerMan.  Are you referring to the rounded bezel, or the feathering / fade-in around the bezel edge?  I use a lot of image layering for Minimal-AO, and these effects are not encoded within the theme's XAML.  The layers often take advantage of the alpha transparency supported by PNG (could probably use GIF too).  I use the free GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) to create the images.  The basic approach for the game and platform wheel views are:

LAYER (TOP) --> text and other stuff like box art

LAYER --> colored background image with cutout for 4:3 video or image

LAYER --> image simulating TV vignetting

LAYER --> image simulating TV scan lines

LAYER (BOTTOM) --> 4:3 video or image

As for the "feathering" around the edge of the bezel/video, that's built into the colored background image layer containing the 4:3 cutout.  With the nice ability for layering image within XAML, you could probably achieve the same effect in CriticalZone but I'd have to defer you to @CriticalCid.  The trick is finding or creating the appropriate images with transparency, then aligning them properly within the view.  Of course, @CriticalCid is likely loads better at XAML than I, and he might have some tricks for achieving the effect you want in code without image layering.

Minimal-AO Platform Wheel Detailed.jpg

Minimal-AO Game Wheel Minimal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Theme updated, version 3.0 -- SUPPORTS MULTIPLE RESOLUTIONS (scales automatically though still best at 16:9 ratio), SIMPLER SKINNING, and MORE CUSTOMIZATION. The skins are UHD, and the theme should scale up to 4K nicely -- haven't tried b/c I don't have 4K, but it scales well from what I can test. It's almost to the point where one could apply customizations (font and skin changes) from within BigBox itself, but that might require code-behind and I was hoping to do everything in XAML with my trusty text editor 8D. Please see download page for details.

http://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/131-minimal-ao/

• Like 2

Really liking this theme.. I have a few questions

1: How do i change skins withing the theme?

2: Would it be possible to make a different platform view that suits @BakerMancinematix 16.9? It seems all the views are to suit @viking console videos 4.3

3: If number 2 is possible then is it possible to remove scanlines off platform view but not games view?

Thank you :)

Glad y'all like it!

Great suggestions, @Porl Hendy.

1. Look in AOStyles (styles subfolder), change AOSkin to name of the folder (see the images/panels folder) with the skin you want. 

2. Yes. I'll look into options for this. 

3. Yes. I might be able to make this a config option via AOStyles.

Sorry for the brevity, on a mobile.

• Like 1

@Porl Hendy: What about this for widescreen platform vids?  The view is pretty much done, but I'll need to render the panel skins with a larger 16:9 cutout.  I made the video transparent for this screenshot so you can see how much larger the cutout will be for 16:9 vs 4:3 video.  I managed to still fit the release year and platform notes along with recent games.  This could be the Platform Wheel 4 view.

Minimal-AO Widescreen Video Mockup.jpg

Edited by eatkinola
  • Like 3

I really love this theme, but I would like to be able to have my fanart backgrounds be used in the Game Details menu. I have all the settings in LB/BB enabled to do this, but with this theme, they don't show up. I attached a screenshot showing where I'd like to have the art display; squared around the area in yellow (I would want to keep the left-hand side-bar using the theme background).

If there is some way I can make this work in the XAMLs? I'm willing to make those edits, just not sure where or what to edit. Hopefully, this is possible or could be added as a feature in future updates, if possible.

Untitled.png

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT

8 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

I would like to be able to have my fanart backgrounds be used in the Game Details menu. I have all the settings in LB/BB enabled to do this, but with this theme, they don't show up.

Great idea, and that area you outlined in yellow is the perfect size for 4:3 art. I agree the theme should support settings in LB/BB whenever possible. I'm almost certain I can implement your request. Working on a theme update this week and will include your idea. What if I blur the fanart or add tinting to tone it down a bit, so the game details will still be easy to read?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, andyco47 said:

were it says recent games or game name is there a setting to make it brighter so u can read it.

Yes, look in AOStyles.xaml -- all the config options are there in the top section.  Not at home to verify, but I think the setting you're looking for is AOAccentTintyOpacity (something like that).  Opacity can be a decimal from 0 to 1.  The value which works best will depend on the background you choose.  Note you can also change the color of the accents, which includes the text you mentioned, logo at top left, etc.

Careful when editing AOStyles.xaml, it's finicky. Hopefully, I can make it easier to configure with a future update. I can certainly add some documentation.

1 minute ago, andyco47 said:

thanks mate will look at it plus is there a way to remove the scanlines i tryed deleting the png but got an error.

That config option is planned for the next theme update. For now, you could look towards the bottom of AOStyles for a <Style> defined for the scanline image.  To that <Style>, add a <Setter> which will look something like <Setter Property="Visibility" Value="Collapsed" />. That'll hide scanlines for all views. In the next version, I'll add a setting to hide scanlines and vignetting in the platform vs games view (or both).

Or, you could just set the Opacity property value (in that <Style>) to 0.

A third way is you could replace the scanline.png image with a blank (transparent) PNG image.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Great idea, and that area you outlined in yellow is the perfect size for 4:3 art. I agree the theme should support settings in LB/BB whenever possible. I'm almost certain I can implement your request. Working on a theme update this week and will include your idea. What if I blur the fanart or add tinting to tone it down a bit, so the game details will still be easy to read?

Yeah, definitely a light blur or darkening would be ideal. Also, I'm digging the inclusion of the white noise flicker when "turning the dial" between videos in this version. It's a cool touch for sure.

• Like 1