LaunchBox Community Forums

MinimalX

eatkinola

Minimal-AO is a variant of Grila's MinimalHD theme.  I created it earlier this month and uploaded a new version today.  After trying some great themes on this site, I wanted to give something back.  It's such a great community here; so many sharing their work.  You'll notice Viking's platform videos in one of my screenshots; I've taken quite a liking to them.

I hope some of you find the Minimal-AO theme helpful.  Let me know if you spot any problems and I'll try to correct them.  Also, feel free to modify and make it your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad y'all like it.  @Nyny77: You can change the color with the following steps (this info is also in README within images subfolder):

HOWTO: Change Theme's Color (Minimal-AO)

----------------------------------------

Images\Etc ......... various images used for the theme

Images\Panels ...... colored panels of which theme comprised

Images\Platforms ... platform override images

1. Go to Images\Panels\Renderings\[Color].  Copy all images in this folder.

2. Go back to the Images\Panels folder.  Paste images from step #1 here.

NOTE: You may create new panel renderings (colors) by using the XCF files in

the Images\Panels\Templates folder.  These GIMP files each contain layers for

specific colors, which can be changed and the XCF-formatted GIMP image then

exported as a PNG.

5 hours ago, Nyny77 said:

Several color is possible? Grey ? Black? degraded ?

There is already included a gray color called "pewter".  Black doesn't play well with the theme's alpha-layer elements, i.e., you can't see the details.  I could add other colors.  What do you mean by "degraded", like a gradient?

Edited by eatkinola
  • Like 1

Sure, not a problem.  Can even substitute a complete image for the color layer, just have to watch out for how it works with the alpha layer.  The best colors are not too light and not too dark.  Here's an example with image instead of color.  I personally like the solid colors better since it's easier to read, but with the right image it'd look nice.  I'll try with a gradient later today.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Minimal-AO Platform Wheel Imaged.jpg

Minimal-AO Game Wheel Imaged.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Sure, not a problem.  Can even substitute a complete image for the color layer, just have to watch out for how it works with the alpha layer.  The best colors are not too light and not too dark.  Here's an example with image instead of color.  I personally like the solid colors better since it's easier to read, but with the right image it'd look nice.  I'll try with a gradient later today.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Minimal-AO Platform Wheel Imaged.jpg

Minimal-AO Game Wheel Imaged.jpg

I also love

• Like 1

Great!  I like the gradient too -- thanks again for the suggestion, @Nyny77.  I'll put together some new backgrounds over the next few days -- probably some gradients of different colors and a few photos.  Let me know if you have any backgrounds in mind and I'll have a go with them.  I'm looking for photos at UHD resolution, 3840x2160.  After adding the backgrounds, I'll post a minor update to the theme.

• Like 1

Updated (v2.4) -- notably now with 24 color/background schemes and the ability to use the minimal and detailed wheel views with either translucent or solid white font.  The solid midnight scheme is still my favorite. Please see download page (which has screenshots of the schemes) for details. Please be aware the schemes add a lot to the download size, so there are now three download options available. The bare-bones with solid midnight (my fav) is only about 6 MB.

Currently it resizes 16:9 videos and images to 4:3.  It might be nice if I could detect the video size and render in 16:9 format with black bars above and below, but I'm not sure how to do this in XAML without code-behind (or if it's possible).  To make 16:9 videos fit precisely would require a change in the backgrounds which are designed around cutouts for 4:3 videos/images.  Ideally, one could specify a different view based on the platform (one could be 4:3 and the other 16:9), but this is not currently possible in BB.  Most games in my collection are 4:3, and for those with 16:9 snaps I just put up with a little aspect ratio funkiness; it's really not that bad IMO.  I actually couldn't find many video snaps for Wii on emumovies, so I just made a collection of 4:3 Wii game fanart which works out very well.  I'm glad you like the theme.  There are probably other themes tailored specifically for 16:9 videos if that's what you're after.