LaunchBox Community Forums

Controllers disconnect and reconnect constantly in Retroarch

SavingPrincess

I posted on the libretro forums as well, but people here are really helpful and maybe someone else is running into this issue.

No matter if I have a single controller or five different ones plugged in (either direct to the motherboard or via a powered USB hub), Retroarch will occasionally show that the controller(s) disconnect and reconnect immediately. This creates a small 3-4 frame "hiccup" in whatever game I'm playing and then yellow text stating that the controllers are configured (one by one) in the lower left corner. 

Any ideas?

That is weird, I've never seen this problem before.

My first guess would be your USB ports are going to sleep and you need to tell Windows to stop doing that but you said you even tried a powered USB hub. I used to run into "ghost key presses" with my X-55 HOTAS but that was fixed by plugging it into a powered USB hub.

Try this:
Open your Control Panel
Type 'Power Options' in the search field and click on it.
Click 'Change plan setting' on your chosen plan.
Click 'Change advanced power setting' on your chosen plan.
Find 'USB settings' and open.
Find 'USB selective suspend setting' and change it to disabled.

Just now, lordmonkus said:

That is weird, I've never seen this problem before.

My first guess would be your USB ports are going to sleep and you need to tell Windows to stop doing that but you said you even tried a powered USB hub. I used to run into "ghost key presses" with my X-55 HOTAS but that was fixed by plugging it into a powered USB hub.

Try this:
Open your Control Panel
Type 'Power Options' in the search field and click on it.
Click 'Change plan setting' on your chosen plan.
Click 'Change advanced power setting' on your chosen plan.
Find 'USB settings' and open.
Find 'USB selective suspend setting' and change it to disabled.

Disabling selective suspend is always something I do (side effect of being a musician). Plus, this happens WHEN I'm playing. 

Then you got something really weird going on. I have seriously never run into this issue ever since USB came into existence. Could be a bad USB driver or something else in your computer, since you say this does it with all controllers and a powered hub. That only leaves your operating system and motherboard.

Is it only a Retroarch issue or do other emulators or games have this problem ?

Try updating to the latest nightly or go back a few days instead and see if that happens to fix that problem. As another potential step, download IOBit Driver Booster and run that, see if it comes up with any out of date drivers and let it update. This way we can for sure rule out any bad drivers.

Just thought I'd chime in so that others are aware, but this happens to me all the time too and has done across multiple versions of RA. As with @DOS76, it doesn't appear to effect my gameplay (I wonder if this is down to how powerful the PC is), but it's interesting that it doesn't happen to everyone. I thought it was normal RA behaviour! :D

EDIT: Using an XBOX One controller - wired direct to the PC.

Edited by SpaceMidget75

• 2 months later...

Just started using RA a few days ago. HUGE step above the last emulators I played with, really great app!

But, I'm also having the issue described here. The others above note that it doesn't affect gameplay, which I'd mostly agree with, although having your game hiccup for a couple frames on a platformer has caused some deaths for my gf :)

I'm using an XBOX controller wired direct. x99 5820k, OC'd to 4.4Ghz. 32 GBs RAM. I haven't tried any of the above yet, but I will and report back (if I remember!)

Did you try any direct input controllers, instead of x-input ones? I have 4 controllers connected all the time (flightstick, throttle, ps2 with usb adapter, cusom-made ultimarc arcade joystick) and i never had any such problems with RA. Note that none of them uses x-input.

Remove all and check them one-by-one. Maybe it is a driver issue.