LaunchBox Community Forums

GLupeN64 and High Res Textures

Lordmonkus

The latest GLupeN64 core for Retroarch now has support for high resolution texture packs. The packs have to be made for the GlideN64 plugin that is used in Project64 and Mupen64 and the pack has to be in an .htc file. You can convert loose packs such as the Mario 64 one made by Hypatia found here: http://onthegreatsea.tumblr.com/DOWNLOADS You will need to load the loose pack into Project64 and it will generate an .htc file in the \cache folder which you can then use in Retroarch with GLupeN.

There are some packs out there already done in the .htc file and can be found here: http://www.emutalk.net/forums/134-Completed-Projects The Djipi Zelda packs are a great place to start, they look amazing.

To use these packs I will highly recommend using a nightly build of Retroarch and an up to date GLupeN64 core. Test out the core without any packs first and make sure it is working for you and it should generate a \GLupeN64 folder in the \system folder in your Retroarch install folder. If there is no GLupeN64 folder in the system folder make one and then in that folder make another folder called cache. In the end you should have a folder structure that looks like this:
\system\GLupeN64\cache

Drop the .htc files into the cache folder

2016-12-19 17_13_03-2xExplorer Z1 - F__Screenshots.jpgThe naming of the texture pack has to be very specifically named but they should already come properly named though the Djipi packs will need to be adjusted slightly removing the first part of the downloaded file name. Djipi has a cel shaded looking pack as well as a 3DS texture pack, both look great so pick whichever suits your personal taste. He also has packs for Majoras Mask.

Legend_of_Zelda,_Ocarina_of_Time_(U)_(V1.0)_[!]-161219-021404.pngLegend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time (U) (V1.0) [!]-161219-161929.pngOnce you have the packs in the right place load up the game and open the quick menu and go to the core options for GLupeN64. There are 2 settings you will want to find near the bottom "Use High-Res textures" and "Use High-res Full Alpha Channel", you want to set both of these to True though I have read that for some packs you may need to set the Alpha Channel setting to False. Now you will have to restart the game and when you load up the game it should be immediately obvious that your high res textures are working

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't get this to work... Could you share your config files? I can't find any other guides and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Solved!

RetroArch was looking for these files close to the game folders. In my case, it was (...)\LaunchBox\Games\Nintendo 64\GLupeN64, because I moved the games to my LaunchBox folder.

Edited by Jodanzuki

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this, I managed to get this to work for the Zelda.htc packs just fine using the latest retroarch/mupenplus core. 

For the life of me though I cannot figure out how to convert the mario pack you mentioned above into an .htc file. 

Sadly I can't get that pack to load in prj64 either and I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Little help? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Pyrometheous said:

I've actually been running into the exact same issue. Been trying to figure it out all afternoon.

I found my issue . It might be the same to you. I didnt notice glide64 is different from gliden64 plugin. Glide64 uses different compression dumping which ends up in a dat file. Gliden64 dumps as a htc file

5 hours ago, optkillert said:

I found my issue . It might be the same to you. I didnt notice glide64 is different from gliden64 plugin. Glide64 uses different compression dumping which ends up in a dat file. Gliden64 dumps as a htc file

Yup, and now I feel a bit dumb. That did the trick, although I did run into some issues with actually getting the textures loaded with the GlideN64 plugin (OOT gave me some issues partway through loading), did a search to find the same texture pack to download it again, and boom, I found the texture pack already packed into the htc file. It was a link in a youtube video, so double derp for me :-P

Yes, just replace the references to GLupeN64 in the original post with Mupen64plus. So your GlideN64 compatible texture packs would go in \system\Mupen64plus\cache and then in the core settings enable "Use High-Res textures" and "Use High-res Full Alpha Channel"

16 hours ago, optkillert said:

Well using an old ver of project 64 and reading your post used the Gliden64 not the glide64 I have got the Mario pack converted

thanks all