LaunchBox Community Forums

Neo Geo X stick not recognised

Retrofrogg

I just fiddled around with it some more. It is listed as a HID-compliant game controller in Device Manager, and if I go to Game Controllers in control panel, it is listed there (as NEOGEOX Arcade Stick). If I click on properties there, I can test the controller and all inputs seem to be registering no problem. Still doesn't register in LB or BB!

Hi @Dan , at least for the time being if you really want to use it, you could use free Antimicro to set the controller up using keyboard mappings as was suggested earlier, as long as Antimicro can recognize your controller, that is. But the painful part would be turning off/on Antimicro when going into games if you don't want to reconfigure your emulators to use the Antimicro keyboard mappings. So, if you don't want Antimicro active when launching games, you would have to setup a simple autohotkey script for each emulator in Launchbox autohotkey tab that basically kills the antimicro running process and then starts it back up on pressing escape when exiting games. Not ideal, but it should work.

Edited by ckp

I honestly don't know. If it's showing up in Windows with a driver, it should be viewable in most software. If it is emulating a keyboard though, LB and BB would use it like a keyboard. If it's being treated more like a controller, then it should be good. Have you tried checking to use all controllers connected?

Thanks for the further replies. I tried anti micro but funnily enough it doesn't see the joystick. Sounds like anti micro would be more hassle than it's worth anyway!

Sentai - yes I tried with and without the use all controllers option - no difference. 

Jason - yes I can image that it could be. It's a fairly cheap joystick - why don't you buy one and you can look into it? I can image that there are other Launchbox users who would like to use the Neo Geo controller.

I don't know if this will even help, but I have a Neo Geo X gold USB on a PC. The first time I plugged it in it worked perfectly. The second time it wasn't recognized. After some trial and error I discovered that if you plug it in and re-boot it works every time. So, I just keep it plugged in all the time and no problem! And it works just fine in Big Box Mode. Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Having this issue right now - 2x NEO GEO X  Arcade sticks connected. Reads in Windows and in MAME but not LB/BB. Doesn't show in the devices list. Tried restart etc... I'll look into Joy2Key or something as a workaround but would be nice to have these working without needing other applications. I suspect it's to do with it not liking both plugged in at once (might troubleshoot this further, will post back if i find anything of note). Incidentally, On the rapsberry PI it wouldn't work with 2 connected which is why I'm now building my mini NEO-GEO using using a windows mini-pc instead...

UPDATE: Tried the other app mentioned in this thread, for me JoyToKey has been working very well in this setup and would be my recommendation if you are using these sticks (you are going to have trouble in various emulators).

If I were starting this build again, I would probably hardware mod at least one of the sticks to use a different controller board (fightstick PCB or cheap controller from amazon, i-pac, whatever), assuming I don't mind changing the original hardware. They are a great feeling fightstick but detection is hit and miss across different emulators / OS / frontends since they were only really ever designed to be used with the Neo Geo X. Doing the hardware mod would allow them to work as a pair on the raspberry Pi I suspect, so in that case it might be the only viable option.