LaunchBox Community Forums

Nintendo Switch

dov_EL

Bluetooth 3 BLE is not on 3.x. According to my friend at Fluke who is a BLE subject matter expert they (standards committee) basically layered 4.x and low energy on top, grafting in extra stuff.

It is also apparently not a cause of any problems as he's never had an issue (Fluke makes measuring equipment like remote current sensors you can deploy in high voltage factory closets; very electrically noisy places).

So it's probably regular BE at 2.4. The aquarium thing is still a weird mystery.

Edited by Bedwyr
correction

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

Yea, those  JoyCon batteries are less than 600mhz, so low energy might be a probable cause to a lot of this. I wouldn't be surprised if they did alter it for their needs, Nintendo is not shy doing so.

Um, batteries are DC. Not sure what you meant.

I corrected myself. They are most likely not using low energy bluetooth which operates on 4.1GHz. My friend has said that he's never had a problem with BLE interference even with equipment operating in unusually noisy environments. I'm positing that it's actually the full power Bluetooth at 2.4GHz that's the problem (and that Nintendo may not even be using BLE).

Ah, a patch antenna. Doesn't tell me a lot about whether there's a problem or not but that's interesting. If you want to learn some deep stuff about this type here's an engineering primer:

http://orbanmicrowave.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Orban-Patch-Antennas-2009-rev.pdf

edit: sorry, I didn't have time to watch the whole thing. I see what he found and it makes sense. A PCB antenna is perfectly ok and works in other systems without problem. There may simply be something wrong with this design. Why they wouldn't use a patch antenna on both controllers is not something I'm privy to.

Edited by Bedwyr