LaunchBox Community Forums

Nintendo Switch

dov_EL

Excuse me my little english , 
I will not turn any controversy by trolls, but since I am a Nintendo fanboy I want to understand if you are the only one who did this logical reasoning

Nintendo is doing a tremendous pressure in marketing with Switch because he knows perfectly well that the success of a console in most cases it is decreed to launch. At this time it is also impossible to distinguish the articles published by news fretted from a commercial .

Considering that the console on day one is not a train passes only once in life, we can buy the object when and how we want.
Let's take all the time necessary to make logical reasoning, especially if you already own a WiiU.

The speech is this:
What will be the Nintendo launch titles that will be exclusive to Switch?
The answer is: NO.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild will also be released on WiiU, and since we already have the WiiU, it makes no sense to buy Switch exclusively for ZELDA.

As for the rest,
Mario Kart 8, is the same and the same game we already have on WiiU.
Splatoon and a reshuffle of WiiU version.

All 3rd party titles announced already exist from PC to Xbox Playstation etc.

I am absolutely certain that within a few months, many titles already on Nvidia Shields will be brought on WiiU seen that the hardware and the same (time to adapt commands) https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/ shield / games / library #

But in any case it will not be anything new.
The only reason to buy a Nintendo console, Nintendo games are and will be. And because Nintendo take it easy to release a masterpiece, in the meantime does play the remakes that already has trimmed the previous console.
This is a good time to play WiiU and not buy Switch,
titles such as

Super Mario 3D Land
Super Smash Bros
Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Maker
Yoshi Wooly World
New Super Mario Bros
Splatoon

They are already available on WiiU, while you wait in a lineup of Switch enrichment, the console will have a price cut of at least 100 €, and maybe we beat the bundle with internal memory of 1 terabyte with a free game.

Thanks to the Internet all the companies that produce and sell software Hardware exploit this opportunity to sell products incomplete, then subsequently updating the potential of the games, the software of the consoles and whatnot. I'm tired of buying Beta products and wait two years to see some glory, and in the most beautiful moment of a console, comes the generational change.
We learn how to better spend our money, just wait ..

• Like 1

Mario Kart 8 isn't just a simple port, it is more like Mario Kart 8 + DLC (extra tracks and play modes). Splatoon is a sequel.

I think the Switch is doing some things right. The system itself is unique and I give them full credit and the controllers are cool.

Now that I got what I think is good out of the way let me voice my opinion on what is wrong.

While the $300 USD price tag itself is fine for the main hardware it should have at least had a pack in game. 1 2 Switch should be included in the box as it just just a glorified tech demo like Wii Sports was. Nintendo also should have ported Mario 3D Worlds and thrown it in the box as a pack in like how it is with the WiiU. This would literally cost them pennies to include since the game is completed and it would be an added incentive for people who skipped the WiiU to purchase the Switch. Mario is a system seller and always has been and this would add so much more value with very little added cost to Nintendo.

The other big problem I have is the cost of the accessories. A 2nd pair of Joycons and charger base will run people an additional $110 USD (I think it is) which is $140 Canadian dollars which is absolutely insane for a 2nd controller. Even the Pro Controller is over priced when compared to the XBone and PS4 controller.

What I think Nintendo saw with the Amiibos and the NES Classic was just how much money people were willing to pay scalpers on the secondary market for their products and realized just how much they could charge their fanbase. The hardcore Nintendo fans and the Youtubers will buy this thing up big time and Nintendo will make a lot of money in the short run. But come Christmas I am not so sure that the average consumer will be willing to plop down the amount of money necessary to get the system, a game or two and second set of Joycons.

I just know that this Christmas past I picked up a new PS4 with Uncharted 4 and FF XV for $375 including taxes Canadian where a Switch + Zelda + 2nd controller would have run me over $700 including taxes. My best friend who has been a lifelong Nintendo fan and owned every console by them up to and including the WiiU and New 3DS won't be buying a Switch at it's current price. It's just way too much money when it is lacking in power compared to the competition. While it is ok to not have as powerful of hardware you cannot at the same time double the price when you take pack in games and controllers into account.

This is all just my opinion of course I could easily be completely wrong.

• Like 1

The price of the accessories is absolutely insane, but all the games, even 1, 2 Switch and Arms have value. MK8 is a definitive edition, with more content. It's got all the DLC + a real battle mode now. It will also look better, and have enhancements, like 4 players playing on one console and the framerate sticking to 60fps. Splatoon is Splatoon 2. It was rumored to be a port, but they shocked us with a full fledged sequel. There's a bunch of new moves, new stages, new weapons, new clothing (it serves a purpose in Splatoon for stats), etc. A lot of those 3rd party titles they shown are also actually exclusive. They may not be launch, but they are exclusive. Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, and DQ Heroes in a combo pack is so far exclusive. Those games do exist on the Wii U, and if you don't care for the few enhanced versions, then don't bother buying it. I however, have mine pre-ordered and so I will be ready to go. I would rather Zelda on Switch than Wii U, and those versions of those games. Now I can take them on the go, and Zelda will run better on Switch. Saw a few comparisons, and Switch version looks way better. You might also want to go through and read some stuff, because some of the info you have is out dated or just wrong. The switch for example has 32GB of internal storage, with an SD Card slot, so there probably will never be a bigger version available if the Wii U is anything to go by.

It being $300 is the sweet spot. People were hoping for $250, some were fearing $350, but $300 is the right price for what you're getting. You can not look at the competition and think they're the same thing, they're not. The PS4 and Xbox One are pretty much the same exact thing, any Nintendo product is simply not the same by default. Even ignoring the gimmicks, this is a powerful piece of hardware on the go. Battery and Screen alone are costs no one is figuring in. Then when you add on the complex controllers in such a small form factor (which the I don't like the size either), that go on and off the console at will... yea, $300 is justified. I think they could have waited 6 months and had more games to go, but most console launches aren't great. The 3DS launch was abysmal. This isn't the worse launch ever, this is fairly decent considering Zelda, but the PS4 had a pretty damn good launch in recent memory. For the pricing too, I can see another 3DS situation happening again, where a price cut happens and they give out a bunch of games. 3DS became one of the best selling hardware, so things can be turned around, and this situation is so much better than the Xbox One debacle. That was an absolute travesty and this doesn't come even close. PS3 launch was even worse than this. "Our device is $600, and our fans will work a second job to get it if they have to". I might be remembering that a little off, but Sony basically said it's that price, and people will buy it, deal with it. xD

Switch is rumored to be close to the Xbox One original, in "Teraflops", but it will be behind Pro or Scorpio, but it doesn't matter, it shouldn't matter. Nintendo games are generally far above anything else around it, and the power of the console doesn't make that experience better. In a recent interview with Miyomoto, the power of the system doesn't factor in to the game he's going to make. A more powerful console may mean he can do more advanced things, but power doesn't mean better gameplay inherently. Hell, we're a retro gaming community that still loves the damn NES, so clearly we're not all power hungry anyways, why is this any different? I have a serious issue of people wanting one thing and getting mad when they get it, or wanting one thing and changing their tune just because other people are getting mad. Most people who complained are gonna get this anyways. I know exactly why I am buying the Switch, I know how every other console launch has always gone, this wont be any different and I will be in Nintendo's ecosystem.

If the money is too much for this, than it was too much for PS3, Xbox One, a $800 phone, but people do that shit anyways and still complain. The conference wasn't great, but the games they showed off were something to be excited about, and playing Nintendo games strikes a cord that no other company can come close to. So yes, I pre-ordered the switch, Zelda Special Edition and it's 5 amiibo's, and I will be the happiest person alive for a few weeks as I play Zelda, and pick up random stragglers. Then when in a few weeks other games start coming out, I'll have fun with them too.

Excuse me if this is harsh, but people need to get the fuck over them selves a bit. The internet is bitching and moaning in every damn direction far far far far too often. If you don't like it, don't buy it, or wait. If you do want it, then get it. There is room for civil discussions about something, like we're having, but you can't bash someone for the way they're feeling about a product (not that it's happening in this thread or community, just a general statement because this topic is hitting the net hard the past few days). They also apparently haven't announced everything yet either, they want to spread it out a bit. If they spent 2 or 3 hours going over everything, then it would be too much all at once for everyone, but right now it's too little? I'm going to trust Nintendo, despite some of their odd hardware decisions, that they're going to make me good games, and that's all I want from them at the end of the day. Achievements, a unified account system where my purchases transfer, and a console that will stand up to the abuse I'll put it through are the only things I have left on my list, and that last one I wont know about till I'm using it.

So I get the concern, I have it too in some respects, but for me Zelda is the system seller, for me. So, we're getting it, because Zelda is my favorite series ever. :P If someone doesn't care for Zelda, or wants to wait, or monetarily it doesn't make sense like for Monkus, then that's also totally valid.

• Like 1

Switch will be empty for a long period. Wii-U has a great line up

Marketing has devastating effects on people, even those who apparently in normal manage to reason with his mind, without being influenced by anyone.
It's no getting around it, Switch currently (and not permanently) is a rip EXPENSIVE and useless.
Will have exclusive on day one, as I have said many times, ZELDA will also be available on WiiU, Mario Kart 8 is already available on WiiU for centuries, the other titles that come out then .., on WiiU on other platforms are available from one year and more, and all other consoles cost much less and offer Switch lOT more. Last gem is that to recharge the controller need a special adapter sold separately,
But there you are done well the accounts?

2 Accounts for Nintendo Switch.
€ 329.99 Switch
€ 70 Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
€ 17 Charger Cable
€ 70 Zelda
€ 70 Micro SD least 200 GBTot. (Switch comes with an SD where there should not be maimed the system)
€ 557 to make it operational.
This video summarizes the logic of those who think a serene mind.

Xbox One Bundle S (500 GB) with a title at 249 €
PlayStation 4 500GB D Chassis Slim € 269 (There are also Bundle).
Meanwhile, there Wii-U which is a huge console with a securities park already important, and since Switch is not currently backward compatible for 2 reasons:
1) Does not have the optical media
2) It only has 32 GB of memory that 29 become smooth and gather out a dozen for the system. So when Nintendo were to pull off the miracle of backward compatibility, they will only On Line (and your WiiU discs will be thrown), and serve you with the memories of many giga available to download something.
Buy them new, used, look in the baskets. AND PLAY THESE SECURITIES Wii-U, while Nintendo will take note of developing a V2 with more memory (at least 500 gb internal) The Dock to charge the gamepad must be built in, a game bundle is mandatory, and the price must come down, do not compete with PS4 and Xbox One's.
Here is the list of the Wii-U masterpieces
Yoshi's Woolly World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Super Mario maker
Captain Toad Treasure Tracke
New Super Mario Bros. U.
Bayonetta 2
Splatoon
Pikimin 3
Shovel Knight
Minecraft
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Super Smash Bros
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
And for END, ZELDA on Day One

• Like 1

Zelda Switch Vs WiiU

Of course it really does not even exist a wild valid reason to switch to switch if you already have Wii-U. It possible that on a next-generation console, we are still at 30 FPS and 900P for a game like Zelda? Absurd.
These are the differences between the switch version and the Wii-U
Release March 3 Wii-U and Switch
Both versions will go to 30 FPS
Both versions have the same content
Switch on the TV version will be 900 p (even HD) whereas the Wii-U version will be 720 P
The Switch version will have a higher quality for sound effects
The Disco on Wii-U requires 3GB of free space
Some icons and buttons will change (the gamepad symbols in the game).
The Special Edition and Masters Edition will not be available on WiiU.

• Like 1

Just my opinion here, but I don't understand why you call it Nintendo Switch... It seems that the real name is Nvidia Switch: after failing with Shield, they "bought" Nintendo to produce a new console with Nvidia hardware and Nintendo software. Clearly Nintendo, after doing some "unthinkable" mobile apps with their most important IP, is going  a little like Sega after Dreamcast: less hardware, more software. Probably I'm going too far but think about it for a moment... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I only used BestBuy for the Amiibos and Zelda Special Edition (I couldn't get the special edition from anywhere else, nor the master edition from anywhere) and I did get my first charge this morning. The console and Zelda Guidebook I got through Amazon. I got 20% from BestBuy too, because I bought their $30 2 year gamer thing (which was technically $20), and that saved me $36 off the top before applying to the rest of it. I normally get this stuff through Amazon because of Prime, free 2-day shipping and 20% off, but in this case BestBuy was essentially able to match it for no extra money, in fact I'm saving money.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2017 at 6:20 AM, dukeemu said:

Just my opinion here, but I don't understand why you call it Nintendo Switch... It seems that the real name is Nvidia Switch: after failing with Shield, they "bought" Nintendo to produce a new console with Nvidia hardware and Nintendo software. Clearly Nintendo, after doing some "unthinkable" mobile apps with their most important IP, is going  a little like Sega after Dreamcast: less hardware, more software. Probably I'm going too far but think about it for a moment... 

On 1/18/2017 at 7:36 AM, Charco said:

Yeah, no.

Yea, I just read this, and you couldn't be farther. Nintendo just contracted Nvidia for that tech, like every other console ever does with any manufacture. Consoles have primarily used ATI then AMD though. Nintendo is also not failing at mobile, but doing quite quite well in fact. They're not ditching their hardware, and playing it smart with phones. They don't see them as a competitor, and instead an easy way to make money and get a younger audience interested in Nintendo. Even though the Switch is replacing the Console and Handheld, they call it a console, so in their mind they made a different home console that just happens to be portable.

• Like 1

I was late to the party so I'll be content for Amazon to let me know when there's more stock.

I think pricewise the cost to be fully engaged is pretty high. Nintendo is hiding a lot of extra costs that Sony and Microsoft just aren't. It's a bit like the US airlines doing a lot of "unbundling"; setting new prices for luggage, food, and seat pitch (distance from seat back to seat back). So I'll ding them for that even though Nintendo is traditionally unwilling to lose as much margin on hardware as the two bigger players.

Release wise, I'm not all that impressed with the lineup. I do hope that builds out quickly and that N capitalizes well on friendlier 3rd party relationships. Failure to have the Virtual Console running at release is rather damning as this is not a new product for them and I believe they ought to have had that animal running fast out of the gate.

The format I like. I'm not sure about the size of the small controllers, especially when getting together with my 6' friends with big American hands. Likewise I gather the kickstand is pretty weak. Otherwise it appears to be a decent bit of kit and potentially a rebound from the Wii U.

We shall see. I'm rooting for Nintendo as I've always respected their views on the primacy of gameplay and design over nearly everything else.

• Like 1

Besides controllers, I don't see any cost hiding. We can't call games, special editions, amiibos and guides extra costs, if you want them for any system (except amiibos), that's upfront extra cost that you must realize. Everything comes in the box, and the controllers are only $5 more than PS4 and Xbox One controllers. So Switch Pro vs PS4 controller is only an extra $5. The extra Switch dock is pointless, but I do think the Joycons are stupid expensive. Xbox Ones also don't come with re-chargeable batteries in the box, and that's another accessory you need to buy, which is equivalent to the Charging grip for the Joy Cons. So, the price of stuff sucks, but besides the dock, everything is inline with the rest of the industry. Launch lineup is no worse than previous generations, and the cost was cheaper than a launch PS4 and certainly cheaper than an Xbox One. The only "hidden" cost is an SD Card, but the PS4 and Xbox One only came with 500GB originally, minus the OS. Granted, 500GB is much more than 32GB, but I expect the average game to be smaller. I also wont have as many as I do on the PS4. There's tons of games at line up, but I'm really only excited for Zelda. I have too much other stuff to play anyways, and not enough money to buy more than I already did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patham said:

@SentaiBrad I saw screenshot comparisons I think it was, might have been videos, that showed the difference between the Wii U and Switch versions. Slight advantage to the Switch there but what swayed me more was I've heard there may be some frame rate issues on the Wii U. That master edition looks awesome but even if it was available it's out of my budget. I know my son will be wanting the Amiibos for sure, he's got quite a collection of them.

@neil9000 Wii U or Cemu? Just curious, I know the game has been leaked.

Wii u, running off usb stick.

Occasional drops here and there, mostly spot on. Cant complain really.

Also just to add, I have heard that the switch version actually runs better in handheld mode. The docked version is trying to run at 900p and struggles a bit, 720p on the screen seems to run fine though.

Edited by neil9000
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patham said:

Good to hear. If something happens and my Switch pre-order falls through I'll be getting the Wii U version.

I would say you will not be disappointed, at least in my 10-12 with it so far. Well put it this way, I have not once shouted at the screen because the framerate in any way effected what I was doing, as I said slows a bit in "unamedtown" but its dense with people and houses and rain, and still totally playable at all times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patham said:

Well I may end up getting the Wii U version anyway. My son is home from school now and when I told him we were getting the Switch Friday he jumped for joy, haha. So I may need the Wii U version to play when he's hogging the Switch. He's more into the 3DS than the Wii U so I see him using it as a portable more and me using it more on the TV. At any rate, can't wait to play the new Zelda. Now to find some of those new Zelda Amiibos. :)

Lol, I will say one thing though, its really hard!!! I mean that!!!

• Like 1