LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Greatest Hits ROM set?

Riffman81

So I'm currently on a very old and out dated MAME ROM set and I'm looking to finally update to the latest. My internet speed isn't the greatest where I live so downloading a full complete set would take ages for me. So recently, I've been exploring my options. One of those options is to order a full set from MAME DVD's. However, the guy who makes these sets uses a merged set and I'm not sure how that will work with LaunchBox. Anyone here using a merged set and if so? Mind telling me what steps are needed to import the set in to LB?

My next option is to just visit the dome of pleasure and try to compile a 'best of' or 'greatest hits' set based on various Top MAME Games lists found on the net. I kind of prefer this route for the simple reason I could do away with a lot of clutter and games that I'll never touch. So what's the best way to go about this using the latest MAME set? Are there any 'best of' sets out there already compiled? I'm not terribly picky about the version of MAME, of course I'd like to use the latest but I'll take anything from the last few years or so if a set like this is floating around out there. I'm not asking for ROMs by any means, just wondering if there is something pre-made or what the best method would be to go about making my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Just keep in mind that the No Filler set may not pull out roms 100% with a newer rom set.

but i updated the batch file in your post for it.

Edit: i attached my batch file. but i don't know if you added it somewhere in the top of the thread or not

Edited by ckp
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I found that MAME games are still popular today and that surprised me a lot. I played MAME games for a while in the past but now searching thru the forum I released that they are popular maybe more now because now you can play the games on PC. My question if someone reads this old post is to recommend some good MAME Emulator I for playing Mame (ROM SITE LINK REMOVED) on my PC. Tnx a lot.

Edited by Moto
Removed link to rom site. Do Not link to downloadable roms on this forum.

MAME is the emulator the term MAME games refers to games that will work in the MAME emulator. MAME stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator at one point MAME was merged together with its sister project MESS and now it is capable of emulating much more than just arcade machines. So if you want a good emulator for emulating MAME games I'd say MAME is the best you can get.