LaunchBox Community Forums

7.7-beta-3 Released

Jason Carr

48 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm currently not happy with: the name Additional Applications. It doesn't really seem to fit for ROM versions and such. Anybody have any ideas there as to what to call them going forward?

Just though I'd throw some ideas out there:

Additional Roms & Apps

Additional Roms and operations

Manage roms

Can't really think of more suitable name for the section. I think "Additional roms and apps" maybe the way to go as to not confuse people who already know it as additional apps.

• Like 1

Just now, imdavid555 said:

Just though I'd throw some ideas out there:

Additional Roms & Apps

Additional Roms and operations

Manage roms

Can't really think. I think "Additional roms and apps" maybe the way to go as to not confuse people who already know it as additional apps.

Game Preference?

• Like 1

Yeah, additional ROMs and apps is probably the most clear (though it is a bit long). Game Preference feels like it's a bit too difficult to know what that means at first glance.

One trick here is that it feels like we should have originally separated out applications and ROMs from the beginning, instead of calling them "additional". So that's another issue; I'm tempted to remove the first tab on the Add/Edit game window and put everything under Apps/ROMs.

• Like 2

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, additional ROMs and apps is probably the most clear (though it is a bit long). Game Preference feels like it's a bit too difficult to know what that means at first glance.

One trick here is that it feels like we should have originally separated out applications and ROMs from the beginning, instead of calling them "additional". So that's another issue; I'm tempted to remove the first tab on the Add/Edit game window and put everything under Apps/ROMs.

I think your right @Jason Carr separate additional apps from the roms, its more work I'm sorry, but makes much more sense to the layman. if we can't come up with a simple tag then it's to complicated.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

I think your right @Jason Carr separate additional apps from the roms, its more work I'm sorry, but makes much more sense to the layman. if we can't come up with a simple tag then it's to complicated.

Oh, ha, actually that's not quite what I meant. I meant put *all* apps and ROMs in the new interface instead of having one main one and the rest as "additional".

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Oh, ha, actually that's not quite what I meant. I meant put *all* apps and ROMs in the new interface instead of having one main one and the rest as "additional".

Oh OK, misunderstanding, I have never used the additional apps before so its all new to me!! :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Oh OK, misunderstanding, I have never used the additional apps before so its all new to me!! :) 

That being said I would love to stack different versions of games and choose which to launch, pal vs ntsc etc., I'm looking forward to the feature being implemented

• Like 1

Thank goodness, according to @CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT, the weird null reference bugs and random lockups are indeed fixed, and were apparently due to the previous version of VLC. I'm a bit scared to celebrate, but holy crap was I glad to hear that lol.

Anyways, tomorrow and Friday I'll be working on fixing more bugs and tweaking imports to divide up the games into multiple ROMs per game. :)

• Like 1

I'm planning to group anything that has the same game title into the same game, but it will be optional. For v1, we're gonna look at file names, and if they match sans for the extras, they will be grouped.

I'm an old HyperSpin user and when I made the switch to LB, I basically just migrated everything over. My ROM sets are HyperList sets and primarily use USA and Europe regions with no dupes. Basically, they're 1:1 sets meaning 1 ROM per 1 game. My question is, will I have to re-import my ROM sets upon this feature being added? I like keeping these sets all together each in separate folders based on platform. When I import new ROMs I usually go back and bulk edit all my games and leave the region field blank as I have no need for the separate region folders LB creates in the images folder. I do this for several reasons, mainly because LB displays the ROM name and the region tag on the file name tells me what region the ROM is (USA) (Europe) etc. and because I usually cut out all the Japanese games unless they're exclusive or have been translated. Also, some ROMs from different regions are titled differently, like Castlevania Dracula X is actually Castlevania Vampire's kiss in Europe and Akumajou Dracula X in Japan. Mega Man is Rockman, etc. Is there some database LB will look to when grouping games like these together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Riffman81 You will likely have to reimport, yes; though you should be able to keep all your existing images and media. We might build a tool to migrate games but that probably won't be there for v1. Also, for v1 we won't be handling the case where names are different, but hopefully we can add that in going forward.

I have the exact same setup as @Riffman81, it would suck to have to reimport, I've had to do that in the past and for some reason some of my media doesn't stay applied to everything. It will still be in the folders but won't be applied to certain games.

@Jason Carr I love the way additional apps is setup in the latest beta, and I really love the way it's implemented in BB, will that stay the same? Oh and I tried adding an additional app that uses the new emulator option, and I noticed the field for the emulator doesn't stick after setting it. And after restarting LB I can no longer get it to launch, I get this error:

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key

Type:   System.ArgumentNullException
Site:   Boolean ContainsKey(TKey)
Source: mscorlib 7.7-beta-3

at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.ContainsKey(TKey key)
   at (DataManager , String )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.DataManager.LoadGames(String filePath)
   at (DataManager , Boolean , Boolean )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.DataManager.Load(Boolean settingsOnly, Boolean forceReloadAll)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Data.DataManager..ctor(Boolean bare, Boolean settingsOnly)
   at (String[] )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

@Riffman81 You will likely have to reimport, yes; though you should be able to keep all your existing images and media. We might build a tool to migrate games but that probably won't be there for v1. Also, for v1 we won't be handling the case where names are different, but hopefully we can add that in going forward.

Can't say that's news I wanted to hear. Re-importing 54+ systems and platforms seems a little extreme honestly when this feature seems to apply mainly to those that use full ROM sets with duplicates and multiple regions. I realize others may have many more platforms setup and have their LB running the way they want so seems like a hassle. Not trying to sound harsh just making a point. So in terms of folder structure in the LaunchBox games folder, will that be changing at all? It sounds like that essentially we'll be rebuilding our setups with regards to how games are imported, stored, and managed. What I'm asking is will LB be moving things around once this is implemented from how things are now? Like putting different region games in their own folder separate from other regions? Will the images folder and other media be affected by this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1