LaunchBox Community Forums

7.7-beta-3 Released

Jason Carr

Hey guys, new beta is out. In the live stream we figured out that VLC had a bug in the 2.2.3 version that we were using with MP3 playback, which very well could have been cause for some of the errors and freezes. Just put out a new beta with an updated version of VLC; we'll see how it goes.

Also in this new beta, I've wrapped up the Additional Applications screen for all the new fields and some new functionality. For example, you can now select a particular emulator for each app. Next steps will be of course to modify the import process, though there's one thing I'm currently not happy with: the name Additional Applications. It doesn't really seem to fit for ROM versions and such. Anybody have any ideas there as to what to call them going forward?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Also in this new beta, I've wrapped up the Additional Applications screen for all the new fields and some new functionality. For example, you can now select a particular emulator for each app.

Does this mean bulk additional apps instead of per rom ?

1 minute ago, Zombeaver said:

I did get another VLC crash in LB a moment ago (appears to be the same crash). It doesn't happen every time but it's still happening every once in a while. It happens when launching games.

VLC Crash.png

Can you test to see if it has to do with music or videos? Try turning off auto-play videos and/or auto-play music. Actually, the safest thing to do would be to switch to WMP for video playback. Then if it still happens, we know it's the VLC music playback.

@Jason Carr hasn't  really been able to really follow the latest streams :/just been running in the background.  But this grouping games sounds great glad it's finally coming.  But is it just different regions or also example rev 1,2 or version 1.00, 102 that will be grouped together. 

@Jason Carr , don't know if you saw this post of an issue i'm seeing only recently:

as i'm launching each of my mame games to test each one out (upgraded to 182 roms), i'm getting these random popup errors every so often:

"Launchbox. A video error occurred: Windows Media Player encountered problem while playing the file".

I just click Ok on the dialog (luckily because i don't use a cabinet). then if I click on another game and back on the same game, I will not get an error and the game video plays in the sidebar just fine. 

i am running LB 7.6 and I have never hit this before now.

It doesn't happen if WMP is used for video playback, it's been like that since I've been getting the crash.

2 minutes ago, ckp said:

@Zombeaver , is it only games that must be unzipped? That's the only time I see it with VLC.

If you're talking about LB's "extract" feature, I don't use that on anything.

1 minute ago, ALIE said:

@Jason Carr hasn't  really been able to really follow the latest streams :/just been running in the background.  But this grouping games sounds great glad it's finally coming.  But is it just different regions or also example rev 1,2 or version 1.00, 102 that will be grouped together. 

I'm planning to group anything that has the same game title into the same game, but it will be optional. For v1, we're gonna look at file names, and if they match sans for the extras, they will be grouped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ckp said:

@Jason Carr , don't know if you saw this post of an issue i'm seeing only recently:

as i'm launching each of my mame games to test each one out (upgraded to 182 roms), i'm getting these random popup errors every so often:

"Launchbox. A video error occurred: Windows Media Player encountered problem while playing the file".

I just click Ok on the dialog (luckily because i don't use a cabinet). then if I click on another game and back on the same game, I will not get an error and the game video plays in the sidebar just fine. 

i am running LB 7.6 and I have never hit this before now.

If you would please, guys, put bugs into separate threads, because I can already start to see this one getting out of control lol. I've subscribed to the entire forum so I should see anything you put in this forum.

2 minutes ago, ckp said:

what should be in this thread, if not bugs about betas? 

Questions and discussion surrounding the beta. Bugs can benefit from separate threads because I can respond with questions about the bug, and it'll be a lot cleaner of an approach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm planning to group anything that has the same game title into the same game, but it will be optional. For v1, we're gonna look at file names, and if they match sans for the extras, they will be grouped.

Cool planning on re accruing my systems since with this I wouldn't need to keep games in multiple sub folders for organizeing I guess. 

• Like 1