LaunchBox Community Forums

Startup videos distorted

Porl Hendy

Hello, i just tried setting a startup video and for some reason the first 5 seconds the video is all broke up and distorted. Those were @Grila start up video, then i tried the launchbox start up video from @dcsdiver and that runs great. I want a BigBox start up video though and not a launchbox start up video. When i play the videos outside BigBox they are smooth can anyone suggest why please?

Edited by Porl Hendy

14 hours ago, Porl Hendy said:

Hi, I seemed to have fixed it by downloading k-lite codec pack. Yours ran really smooth and is really nice, just a shame it says launchbox rather then bigbox :( do u plan on doing a bigbox version? @dcsdiver thank you again 

Created one for you with the BigBox logo instead. It has a dark theme though.

Edited by dcsdiver

• 1 month later...

I have the issue described here.  I installed the basic k-lite codec pack and that did nothing. I have the latest video driver, but I still get the distorted/garbled video at startup.  Video plays at correct speed with no stuttering, but colors and pixels in the areas of movement get all mixed up until the movement in the video slows down.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

8 hours ago, andender said:

I have the issue described here.  I installed the basic k-lite codec pack and that did nothing. I have the latest video driver, but I still get the distorted/garbled video at startup.  Video plays at correct speed with no stuttering, but colors and pixels in the areas of movement get all mixed up until the movement in the video slows down.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi andender, does the video play by itself in windows with no artifacting? lets rule out video playback first.

8 hours ago, dcsdiver said:

Hi andender, does the video play by itself in windows with no artifacting? lets rule out video playback first.

Thanks for replying dcsdiver. Yes, it plays distortion free when I play it manually.  I,m using vlc for both startup and manual playing.  Below are screenshots, first 2 what I see at startup, then second 2 what I see on manual play.

vlcsnap-error414.thumb.png.8a1a3da97239d813422d16794c19239f.pngvlcsnap-error463.thumb.png.ab0bfe8165d8c64eb88ad84a50a75742.pngvlcsnap-error980.thumb.png.5dbf8ce5c4348664a2afef3ed06e4873.pngvlcsnap-error499.thumb.png.85a8c0b5b26ac39aa09bd65b79889716.png

Hmmmm. Hard to say whats going on here. I dont know exactly what codec Grilla used, but if was a codec issue, it would be garbled all the way through or wouldn't play at all. I'll download the vid and see if there is something worth noting. Also, just curious about your computer setup. you running this off a local disk or pulling from a NAS? SSD or spinning disk for LaunchBox folder? Have you also tried Windows Media Player and what are the results there?

6 hours ago, dcsdiver said:

Hmmmm. Hard to say whats going on here. I dont know exactly what codec Grilla used, but if was a codec issue, it would be garbled all the way through or wouldn't play at all. I'll download the vid and see if there is something worth noting. Also, just curious about your computer setup. you running this off a local disk or pulling from a NAS? SSD or spinning disk for LaunchBox folder? Have you also tried Windows Media Player and what are the results there?

When I play it manually with Windows Media Player, it plays correctly.  I cant seem to get BigBox to play the startup video with WMP.

My Setup

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.14393 Build 14393
MOtherboard    Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    AMD A6-7400K Radeon R5, 6 Compute Cores 2C+4G, 3500 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Video Adapter AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics (on motherboard)
Harddrive    SSD

Edited by andender
left out harddrive info

• 1 year later...
18 minutes ago, elements604 said:

I completely wiped and uninstalled vlc, then reinstalled. Seemed to do the trick.

hm lemme check this out. and it works fine with using vlc engine in bigbox?

EDIT: nah, vlc engine still is crap in bigbox

Edited by Elmazz

23 minutes ago, Elmazz said:

hm lemme check this out. and it works fine with using vlc engine in bigbox?

EDIT: nah, vlc engine still is crap in bigbox

I think this could be an issue due to underpowered onboard AMD gpu's (as i have) Ive been having this issue for a long time, tried about everything but I guess it's just underpowered to switch video's so many times and so fast while loading many other data and media at the same time as well. Going to switch to a faster system with nvidia gpu card within a few months, hope to tackle the problem with this. I did notice a huge improvement when switching off all transitions, no background images and in smaller playlists but even then the grey distorted laggy stuff happens when switching/scrolling through games from time to time. Some suggested on other webpages with simular video problems (outside launchbox video issues) that the hdd could be the problem as well as it cant keep up with the speed/data rate. I dont have these problems when watching a movie of several gb's on its own but then again if I would switch these movies every second and try to load images, text and what not I bet it would give the same result as the system has to be able go keep up with all the processing and switching going on on a somewhat lower end system.

6 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

I think this could be an issue due to underpowered onboard AMD gpu's (as i have) Ive been having this issue for a long time, tried about everything but I guess it's just underpowered to switch video's so many times and so fast while loading many other data and media at the same time as well. Going to switch to a faster system with nvidia gpu card within a few months, hope to tackle the problem with this. I did notice a huge improvement when switching off all transitions, no background images and in smaller playlists but even then the grey distorted laggy stuff happens when switching/scrolling through games from time to time. Some suggested on other webpages with simular video problems (outside launchbox video issues) that the hdd could be the problem as well as it cant keep up with the speed/data rate. I dont have these problems when watching a movie of several gb's on its own but then again if I would switch these movies every second and try to load images, text and what not I bet it would give the same result as the system has to be able go keep up with all the processing and switching going on on a somewhat lower end system.

This is usually caused by HDD seek/bandwidth issues. Launchbox is loading several different images and videos at the same time and VLC doesn't seem to like this when trying to find and play a video at the same time. WMP doesn't usually suffer from this for some reason, but your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Just now, neil9000 said:

This is usually caused by HDD seek/bandwidth issues. Launchbox is loading several different images and videos at the same time and VLC doesn't seem to like this when trying to find and play a video at the same time. WMP doesn't usually suffer from this for some reason, but your mileage may vary.

Thanks man! Yeah that's what I thought, again a confirmation that I want too much from this pc lol Might it work better if one had just a front cover image and a gameplay image instead of the full image collection associated with a game?