LaunchBox Community Forums

7.7-beta-8 Released

Jason Carr

1 hour ago, Dazz said:

Another question... Does this combine Clones with their parent or can clones still be listed on the menu separately?  Personally, I want to see clones, but just don't want to see different ROM versions on the main menu.

For MAME, what is the difference between clones and different ROM versions? I don't fully understand.

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

For MAME, what is the difference between clones and different ROM versions? I don't fully understand.

Clones are games that were cloned from a parent and the name changed... IE: Puck-Man is Parent, but US release was clone called PAC-Man.  Where different ROM versions would be like Galaga, Midway, Galaga, Namco, Galaga (fastshoot), Pac-Man v1.0, Pac-Man v1.2, etc.  These aren't clones, but different versions of the original game. 

Jason, did you read this? No-Intro guys already did a lot of work about clones and merging games, with dats avalaible from datomatic (P/Clone XML tab).

http://datomatic.no-intro.org/stuff/xml_details.txt

Example:

WarioWare, Inc. - Minigame Mania (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It)
	Made in Wario (Japan)
	Waliou Zhizao (China)
	WarioWare, Inc. - Mega Microgames! (USA)
	WarioWare, Inc. - Mega Microgames! (USA) (Beta)
Watashi no Makesalon (Japan)
Whac-A-Mole (USA)
Whistle! - Dai-37-kai Tokyo-to Chuugakkou Sougou Taiiku Soccer Taikai (Japan)
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Europe)
	Chi Vuol Essere Milionario (Italy)
	Qui Veut Gagner des Millions (France)
	Quiere Ser Millonario (Spain)
	Weekend Miljonairs (Netherlands)
	Wer wird Millionaer (Germany)
	Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (Australia)·

28 minutes ago, Dazz said:

Clones are games that were cloned from a parent and the name changed... IE: Puck-Man is Parent, but US release was clone called PAC-Man.  Where different ROM versions would be like Galaga, Midway, Galaga, Namco, Galaga (fastshoot), Pac-Man v1.0, Pac-Man v1.2, etc.  These aren't clones, but different versions of the original game. 

MAME (and every other ROMset) don’t differentiate like that. For each game there’s just one parent and every other version of it is considered as clone, no matter if it’s an prior version, hack, different license, different region, different name, etc.

Here’s a screenshot of how MAME handles all the Pac-Man ROMs, as you can see are all your examples listed as clones of the original Puck Man

puck man.jpg

• Like 2

Firstly, I would just like to say that this new feature is working exceptionally well. I have already cleaned out more than ten thousand superfluous entries in my launch box. Thank you very much for including this as it makes me very happy. The Amiga WHD Loeb collection alone has gone from twenty-eight hundred-ish ROMs down to seventeen eighty-eight, pretty impressive if you ask me!

I have however encountered, twice now, where launch box crashed. There was no error thrown there was just a simple not responding box that came up. This seems to not be an issue if I just restart launch box again but I thought I would let you know.

I am also curious about the MS-DOS platform. Now, I remember on the stream yesterday when you mentioned that ROMs platforms would not be able to take advantage of this feature. The thing is, my MS-DOS platform is imported as batch files from the EXODOS collection and DOSbox is being used as an emulator. Is MS-DOS hard coded to be considered not a ROMs based platform? Because there are some games that are multiple versions in that collection that I would like to consolidate.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

@cammelspit Per the crashes, any testing you can do to help identify them would be appreciated. I suspect that they have to do with the VLC music and/or videos, but I'm not certain as I haven't been able to replicate any of it. Perhaps we can discuss it in the live stream tomorrow. Do you have auto-play music enabled?

Per MS-DOS, that's a good point. I'm guessing DOS won't be supported for the official release, but I will add that to my list, as it should be feasible.

Beta 9 is out now guys; here's the thread:

try doing a consolidation on sega model 2 and it happens every time like clockwork. The other times were just random and worked fine after a restart. I assume there is something special about the Model 2 platform that is just triggering it more. Also, the beta 9 still does it just to let you know.

Data.zip

• Like 1

I reimported my whole arcade collection yesterday and got no results which I know isn't typical since others are getting them do you have to check any boxes on the MAME list at the end to get it to work for arcade I've searched games I know should have multiple ROMs for them like 1942 and I only get one result with no additional apps added don't know what I'm doing wrong.