LaunchBox Community Forums

RPCS3 PS3 Emulator for PC with Launchbox?!

ResidentEvul13

I have googled, I have researched, have studied,  have watched tons of tuts, I have tested etc... If anyone from this community has this emu successfully running I'd love to know how the hell you did it!

Off topic: my sega dream cast emu works fine just one small issue... days ago it started up only  booting GTA 2? no matter what game I launch from LB it only plays gta 2 why and how do fix this issue...

fyi for those few always complaining and moaning about google etc... unlike most ppl if I have a fix for someone I am going to share it with them! I am not going to send them elsewhere when myself can assist them.

have thousands of video tuts and tens of thousands of written tuts teaching and sharing what I know and learn to keep people from going through the chaos I went through to get to that point.

20 years ago I would read/watch tuts and it was always jumbled or missing small but damn important info. That's why I started doing tuts. Mine are dummy proof and very detailed. Again if I can help IM not going to send you elsewhere to get it.

Back on topic: each of the video tuts i watched about ps3 emulation are well done just different outcomes on my end, so maybe someone is not adding or saying something I need to see or hear to fix it. tuts are how got each emu running perfectly.

only defeat was commodore 64 and playstation 3 emus... well dreamcast if can't get it to boot all my games not just GTA 2

harvest moon.jpg

RPCS3.jpg

street fighter.jpg

YU GI OH failed boot.jpg

It's very alpha and not something that is supposed to be daily use or even consistent use. Hell, Wii U emulation is much much farther than this currently and still considered Alpha, so this is even technically worse off. To get it fully up and running is very hard currently and most games don't work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

It's very alpha and not something that is supposed to be daily use or even consistent use. Hell, Wii U emulation is much much farther than this currently and still considered Alpha, so this is even technically worse off. To get it fully up and running is very hard currently and most games don't work.

damn another  cintra! ok thx

18 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

best tut i found on the web and the fact he got it running makes me more anxious... he has no alpha version so idk how i got one... 

A usable PS3 emulator is several years away.

By usable I mean an emulator that doesn't rely on a $5000 PC and runs more than a small handful of games at a shitty framerate.

Then you have to take the games into consideration, they are on Blurays and they are quite large to download if you can even find them.

I recommend anyone wanting to play PS3 that badly to go buy one and buy the games second hand, it's extremely affordable right now with everyone selling theirs off for PS4s and XBones.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

A usable PS3 emulator is several years away.

By usable I mean an emulator that doesn't rely on a $5000 PC and runs more than a small handful of games at a shitty framerate.

Then you have to take the games into consideration, they are on Blurays and they are quite large to download if you can even find them.

I recommend anyone wanting to play PS3 that badly to go buy one and buy the games second hand, it's extremely affordable right now with everyone selling theirs off for PS4s and XBones.

im all microsoft! just thought it was neat to have in launchbox...

So, that user, if it's even using footage from the emulator, chose a game that is EXTREMELY light to emulate. So it's probably one of a handful of games that even plays, but if that's the sound I hear in the back, I can hear tons of clipping, meaning audio isn't even working. They could also have an extremely powerful PC, brute forcing their way in. Even then, they could just be using editing tricks and replacing the video. It's also not running good by any means, lots of suttering. Just because this person didn't call it Alpha or Beta software though, doesn't mean it isn't, and you don't need to be a Sony person to know that an emulator of very powerful hardware doesn't happen in less than a year. PS1 and N64 are still struggling, an OG Xbox emulator pretty much doesn't exist, a 360 emulator doesn't exist, and the PS3 emulator is only this far ahead because of very very passionate people. However, it also helps that people have direct level access to the PS3 hardware, making it easier to reverse engineer. That's why 3DS emulation is progressing faster than expected too, they have kernel level access. Wii U emulation is progressing fast because it uses the same architecture as a Gamecube and Wii, which are also both blown wide open, and so was the Wii U. Browsing their websites or posts on the subject do reveal that compatibility is super low and that most games don't even boot, let alone be playable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

So, that user, if it's even using footage from the emulator, chose a game that is EXTREMELY light to emulate. So it's probably one of a handful of games that even plays, but if that's the sound I hear in the back, I can hear tons of clipping, meaning audio isn't even working. They could also have an extremely powerful PC, brute forcing their way in. Even then, they could just be using editing tricks and replacing the video. It's also not running good by any means, lots of suttering. Just because this person didn't call it Alpha or Beta software though, doesn't mean it isn't, and you don't need to be a Sony person to know that an emulator of very powerful hardware doesn't happen in less than a year. PS1 and N64 are still struggling, an OG Xbox emulator pretty much doesn't exist, a 360 emulator doesn't exist, and the PS3 emulator is only this far ahead because of very very passionate people. However, it also helps that people have direct level access to the PS3 hardware, making it easier to reverse engineer. That's why 3DS emulation is progressing faster than expected too, they have kernel level access. Wii U emulation is progressing fast because it uses the same architecture as a Gamecube and Wii, which are also both blown wide open, and so was the Wii U. Browsing their websites or posts on the subject do reveal that compatibility is super low and that most games don't even boot, let alone be playable.

thx for all the input i am quite happy with retro games over new school any day

• 3 months later...

I'm sensing a bit of pessimism - I don't know about several years away...this emulator is very close! I just played House of the Dead III and it was awesome! FPS between 25 and maybe 45 ingame, very playable, kind of slow and some more serious slowdowns, sure. And it did crash as I was defeating the level 2 boss. But! PS3 emulation! I have a good rig but it's no beast - i5 6600k OC'd to about 4.25 and a a zotac gtx 1060 6 gb amp! edition. That's with out of the box configuration, I haven't even played with the settings yet.

Sure, only like 7% of the games are playable. But HotD III is no shrinking violet of a remastered old game, it's a real live PS3 game. I think in a year from now Rpcs3 will be well ahead of where Cemu is right now and probably at least 25% of the library nicely playable. Very very exciting stuff. You can watch the Simply Austin video on House of the Dead III on Youtube if you want, he was getting similar results to what I just got if  I remember correctly

Only thing is, does anyone know how to add games to LB??? Rcps3 installs the files in its own arcane way and there are tons of little files for each game and nothing jumps out as THE executable. I can start importing files one by one to try if I have to but that would be laborious and time consuming. Has anyone successfully added PS3 games to LB?

Edit: For now, I just added the emulator, then for the Rom path I just put the emulator also - at least LB will boot up Pcps3 and then you can choose the game. Inelegant but not a bad workaround for now.

Edited by usuallee76

What you call pessimism I like to call having realistic expectations and this way if your expectations are surpassed that is great its further along then you anticipated and if not your aren't disappointed because you didn't expect much to begin with. Plus this post hasn't been added to since Feb. so I'm sure development has improved in the last hundred odd days or so.

Fair enough, bro. No offense or anything, I was just excited. I was kind of talking about myself as well anyway - you could say that I was pessimistic as well, since I didn't even bother to try this emulator until now. I can't really get that excited at early stage emulators like some people -"oooh, it booted the title screen".

I really haven't gone "all-in" with the emulation scene and gaming generally until about 6 months ago when I suddenly decided I had to build a gaming rig and also pick up a cheap used ps3 and dust off my Wii.  So maybe it is the initial flush of excitement as a naive newbie, but I was pleasantly surprised and encouraged by what I saw yesterday with Rcps3. HotD III was just about playable...until it crashed, of course :-)

Being excited is cool, I do it all the time, but tempered expectations should be used as much as possible. The reality is, the progress right now seems gigantic because anything in the positive is gigantic. However, the gains over time will slow severely, and then the real test begins. It's still in Alpha, and things don't always go as planned, and a majority of games are NOT in a playable state. The may run, but running and being playable are very very different. A handful of playable games also doesn't mean the emulator isn't a far ways out from being done. In terms of raw power, RPSC3 wont be fully accurate for at least another 5-6 years, in terms of raw computer power. SNES requires a 3Ghz dual core CPU for example, to run it's 100% accurate version. I would consider when an emulator becomes playable enough that you could fool yourself in to thinking you're on a real console, in to being "done". Even then though, that's still tricky because I don't think an emulator is done and does it's job until it's as accurate as possible compared to the original hardware, if that's the developers mission. All of that is a moot point though, even getting to a point where you could be playing a game and not tell the difference of an emulator or a PS3 is still far off. CEMU is a perfect example currently, that was moving at a blazing speed because of the familiarity with the architecture, and despite what people are saying it is certainly not going to be done any time soon. CITRA is another good example of this. The short term gains are astounding, games start to get running, but the road is very long.